PDA

View Full Version : Learning landscaping???

rebel77
06-03-2003, 07:14 AM
I know all of the basics. I would like to learn more about plant types, and maybe more on design. How have you guys learned this?
Is there a good website, or should I look for a local class or something.

Rebel77

Lombardi
06-03-2003, 10:16 AM
The best way to learn is to work with someone experienced in the areas you are interested in, preferably an owner/operator who is professional and has a vested interest in what they are doing. As far as websites, you are on the best one available to learn. Good luck.

Kirk
06-03-2003, 12:48 PM
I'll back rebel77's post 110%. There is no better teacher than on the job training. This is great when putting together the fundamentals of landscaping.

There are a few other ideas that work to give you a grip on what's up and coming.
Landscape Shows and garden expose's have a world of information to help you take a step above the rest. Especially those "I don't have time for that" so called professionals. Trends in landscaping, just like clothing, are changing constantly.

I found the most successful landscapers learn all forms of old practices and tie in some new ones as they go along. Sometimes you just can't beat the old ways of doing things.

Head to your nearest large book store and pick up a copy of a book on plants and trees that tells you when and where to plant. A big mistake we found some landscapers doing is, trying to be overly creative and destroying simplicity. There are so many directions to specialize in. Pick a couple whether is be pruning and planting, paths and walls, or lawn-care and maintenance.

NNJLandman
06-03-2003, 07:24 PM
I work at a Garden Center owned by a Landscaper and I'm learning alot about plants, mulch, hardscape etc. and things hes told me etc. Like they said the best way to learn is to have an experienced teacher.

Georgiehopper
06-03-2003, 07:27 PM
The best teacher is experience: But classes give you a good background and understanding of things.

I have a horticulture degree and 20 years experience. My education comes in handy but my experience comes in handier.

mdb landscaping
06-03-2003, 07:33 PM
i got a two year associates degree in hort with a turfgrass science degree. they make you take a background in everything like soils, herbaceaous, turf, evergreens etc. aside from getting a degree, im finding working for other people is really teaching me a lot that i can apply towards my own business.

Darwin
06-03-2003, 08:56 PM
If you need extra work in the winter get a job at an area nursury that is propagating and over-wintering plants.

You will learn quite a bit from your co-workers, as well as different growth habits of all the plant material they have there.

Also, pay attention whenever you are driving around......look at all the residential and commercial landscaping beds. You can learn quite alot about what to do and what not to do by just observing.

NCSULandscaper
06-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Degree in Horticulture from North Carolina State University.

neighborguy
06-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Sie you live in ohio, I would look to hio State University. While taking a few classes at our local Tech college (two year associates degree n landscape/horticulture emphasis in desig/build) we had a number of projects that the OSU web site was most useful for.

Kohls Landscaping Co
06-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Seeing that you live in Ohio, there are several possibilities you can take to pursue you education in horticulture. I am at OSU majoring in Landscape Horticulture which is obviously a good way to get a nice background in horticulture. However, there are several branches of OSU that offer two year degrees in hortiuculture that would give you the same education without all the other 'stuff.' If you have any questions about OSU's landscape horticulture's program I'd be glad to help you.

Neighborguy put it well by saying that OSU has a great website to help with plant ID's.

Personally, I have learned much about landscaping through personal experience and from clients who know their plants. best of luck to ya!!