PDA

View Full Version : Greener Grass?

garyslawn
06-03-2003, 09:03 PM
I have a lawn, this is it second season and it will not green up or grow hard. Even after fert. it always looks light green to yellow. Had PH done 6.5. Thanks

DaleL
06-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Have you checked the thatch layer? If it is too thick or dense nothing can get through it to the soil/root level. If that's the case core aerate the snot out of it. Though I'd prefer to wait now until fall. Just my 2 cents...
DaleL

garyslawn
06-03-2003, 09:25 PM
it is a 2 year old lawn. Tons of topsoil brought in, no thatch. 3 inch root system. Thanks

kickin sum grass
06-03-2003, 09:46 PM
what about other nutrients? did you have a complete soil test.

EJK2352
06-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Did you have the CEC checked as part of the soil test???

Green Pastures
06-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Ironite.

Runner
06-04-2003, 10:13 PM
What type of grass is it? I have one lawn that I do that was seeded with all Perennial Rye that this "brainiac landscaper put on this new lawn. I am going to sell a slit seeding in the fall to these people for some REAL grass, that will give color and texture. Dirty shame. All that money, and the end result is a light green lawn because of someone else's "skimping".:rolleyes:

DMAN
06-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Runner,

I have a customer too that just had their lawn hydroseeded with all perennial rye in the fall and i put down a starter fert app in the beginning of the spring and it still looked yellowish after that. I just applied another application of fert(19-2-9). I was wondering if this will help the color of the lawn or is it a hopeless case at this point. Should i resort to a iron product to help the situation??

Thanks.

DMAN

rkk95
06-05-2003, 10:10 PM
rye grass will never be a nice dark green, you have to get some blue grass in it. At the very least aerate and overseed with bluegrass heavy in the fall, but be careful with the crabgass control in the spring. What I do is start the season with 19-19-19 on lawns that had been overseeded in the fall and add the pre-m in round 2.

KirbysLawn
06-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Try Sustaine , it's turkey **** and it great! Lesco sells it and I can't say enought good about it.

LawnMagic1
06-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Hey Kirbyslawn....Is that Saddam you have in the headlock?

garyslawn
06-07-2003, 07:51 PM
It is a blue grass, fescue mix. I just took a sample to Lesco for a complete soil test. Thanks for your help.

timturf
06-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Great, you did a soil test!!!!!!!! Be curious if ph is different than the 6.5 you stated?

If straw applied and left to decompose, it is robbing the soil of N!!!! Another thought, if soil add contained some organic matter not fully decomposed, it is stealing the NNNNN!

And again, soil could have some chemistry problems!

Let us know what conclusion you came up with!

1grnlwn
06-11-2003, 01:13 AM
Different varieties have different colors. I seeded some repair areas in my yard with 4-way rye for quick coverage and never went back with blue. It is the darkest part of the yard. NTEP rates turfgrass for many factors, one is color. Find a variety that you can afford with good color ratings and overseed. I you really like it dark and have deep pockets, try Midnight or Moonlight KBG.

What is your cut height?