PDA

View Full Version : northern Virginia trouble finding storage space

Georgiehopper
06-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Here in northern Virginia finding storage space for equipment is next to impossible. I have looked around and they want astronomical amounts for rent. I called a place today and they want $3500 a month for a little house with no running water.

I am currently renting a house with large back yard and keep a minimal amount of supplies here. Well, the landlord just called and said everything has to go. He's a jerk...he knew we had a business from the start.

So now I'm scrambling to find somewhere to park the trucks and store my plants... grrrr...

Barkleymut
06-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Here in Richmond land isn't nearly as expensive as it is up near DC. But I still have to pay $200/month for a 10x30 Storage Unit and a parking spot for my trailer. So this winter I bought a 24ft enclosed trailer so now my storage capacity is a little higher.

You may want to look a little outside of your service area for agriculturally zoned land. Call a Real Estate Agent. Put up a pole barn, barbed wire and keep a couple of mean dogs there and you would have something that would grow in value and you could always expand on. But if you are in the middle of Fairfax then you would have to probably drive an hour just to get there. Good luck.

Green Finger
06-11-2003, 08:38 PM
I have a buddy in Springfield and he says the same thing about renting space. IF you want some inexpensive space check out the Woodbrigde area, or you can come over to Maryland where we are (across that WW bridge) for some REAL cheap space.

BSDeality
06-11-2003, 09:02 PM
same deal in my area too, when i expand my business and need to find storage space for my equipment, trucks, plants, materials it'll cost me a bloody fortune. I've considered buying a big lot and renting it out to contractors, boaters or people that need to store large equipment.

Craig Jones
06-12-2003, 10:33 AM
We are in the Woodbridge area and the space does not seem to be real cheap burt probably much cheaper than Fairfax County. A friend of ours got a small house in western Prince William County with a large garage and that solved his storage problems. I have seen a lot of folks store their stuff in the yard as long as it does not get out of hand in the Woodbridge area.

Hope this helps.

Lanelle
06-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Since you are in Herndon, look on the back roads over into Loudon County. Sometimes you can find an old barn/garage to rent from somebody but having employees in and out can be a problem. Basically, Fairfax County makes it tough to have a business of this sort. I can fill you in a bit more on the zoning regs if you wish. I may have a couple of leads for you. Renting at a mini-storage place is at least $350.00 a month and lots of guys do that but it's not suitable for plant storage.