PDA

View Full Version : roundup for growth control

longslawn
06-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Has anyone used roundup to slow the growth of plants in a area that needs to be maintained. I need to spray a empty lot bank to slow the growt but not kill the stuff. I have heard about using 1/2 oz. per gallon of water to burn back but not kill the plants. Anyone ever done this? What rate did you use?
Plants are weeds plants that grow on a ditch bank. Nothing good.

Thanks

bob
06-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Why don't you just buy some plant growth regulator (PGR)?

KirbysLawn
06-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Not me, that what PGR's are for.

Enviro Green
06-04-2003, 11:06 PM
That practice is used in forestry and I utilize it to maintain the turf on the floor of a vineyard without killing the turf and leave bare soil which will give way to weeds and erosion. Light light light rate. PGR would affect the grapes that's why the Roundup. Roundup is actually a PGR at low rates, that is what it was initially thought to be before all the publicity.

Could be an off label use however.....

EG

longslawn
06-05-2003, 09:18 PM
I don't want to use a PGR because the things I want to control are weeds and brush. Not worth the cost of PGR. I do use PGR on shurbs.

Thanks Enviro Green, thats the info I was hoping to get. I knew this was a standard practice but was not familiar with the rates used.

mark2
06-08-2003, 09:21 AM
enviro green is 100% correct

timturf
06-10-2003, 09:53 AM
and it is on label

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 04:29 AM
I sprayed a few acres of bermuda last fall during overseeding and had great results . I will be switching to roundup this fall for all the overseeding . It shut down the growth for almost 5 weeks . A did a application of turflon at six weeks as it was still at 80 degrees during the day .