PDA

View Full Version : bidding question

JasonFlippin
06-04-2003, 06:59 PM
I am putting a bid together for a small landscaping job. They want mulch and rock put down. How should I go about bidding the mulch and rock for labor. I have seen previous threads on the mulch but none for rock. Also how do you guys charge for plant installation. Thanks.

Turfdude
06-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Labor price for mulch - if not much barrowing & more open areas 1 hr per cu.yd. If lots of barrowing & sprinkling in - labor time increased. For stone - you can't fill barrows as much due to weight (more trips) go at least 1.5-2 X's above rates.
For planting - you basically can't go wrong w/ the 3X's plant cost rule:D

bobbygedd
06-07-2003, 09:56 PM
dont have the price list right in front of me, but i believe its like this: stone:up to one inch=$135 per ton. 1.5 inch=$150 per ton. marble is higher. these are standard prices providing the sight is accesible. more barrowing =more $$$

turfcare
06-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Bobbygedd
That seems a little high for rock. I can get 3/4 inch rock here for $27.31 a ton. 1 1/2 inch rock may be a little higher but I have not used it. I usually install rock at $80.00 to $100.00 a ton depending on the wheel barrow situation.

turfcare
06-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Bobbygedd
I'm sorry, I misread your post. That must be your installation price. How much is rock in your area?

bobbygedd
06-10-2003, 01:43 AM
$28 per ton/$33 per ton. prices include pick up, delivery, instalation.

Tim Canavan
06-10-2003, 01:21 PM
What kind of rock? Is there any preparation?

I'm with Turfdude on the 3x the cost of the plant rule. That's mark-up and labor included.

bobbygedd
06-10-2003, 02:23 PM
marking up 3x the plant cost, i believe, is not a good idea. what if you are planting , say, azealeas that cost u $13 each, will u mark them up to $39 ea? i dont even do that, and according to most of you, im a crook.

llgardens
06-11-2003, 07:03 PM
I tend to rape people on rock installation because of the sheer hatred of the type of back-breaking labor to my employees and myself, not to mention how many times homeowners have requested it be taken out. Bid what ever feels good on the rock, after you do a few you'll know what your comfortable charging.

Plants...3X wholesale seems to be an ok rule.
I normally install 3 perennial sizes in each of my landscapes...1 gallons, 3 gallons and 5 gallons. I take take the corresponding prices of $15, 26, and 43 and usually divide by three to get an average plant cost. If I install mostly 5 gallons, the cost is higher, naturally.

I separate my materials from labor on estimates and invoices so there is usually an added buffer for diggiing is shitty soil or replacements.

Have clients that are bickering about plant costs? Tell them you hand-pick the best flowering pallate and selection the nursery has to offer and carefully deliver them to the site and install. There is a definite art form to planting. Learning that a wide range of plant textures, colors, heights, etc. is much favorable to a boring job consisting of 12 spreading junipers, 5 barberrys and 7 potentillas will help you for sure!

...oh yea...I ramble on...

JasonFlippin
06-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Now does this 3x rule apply to bushes/shrubs as well? Or do you guys do that a different way?