PDA

View Full Version : What is Primo Max?

Joemow
06-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Has anybody ever heard of a product called Primo Max ? What does it do ?
Thanks, Joe

kickin sum grass
06-04-2003, 08:07 PM
primo maxx is gods gift to grass cutters. It is very expensive but does a great job. We apply it to the lawns we cut and we have zipped right thru without even blowing a clump this season and we have had a lot of rain. Some lawns we felt like we were screwing the people for being there cutting cuz we were only giving a hair cut to a bald man after 7-8 days of growth.

Hamons
06-04-2003, 08:07 PM
A turf management tool that maximizes performance, pre-conditions for stress prevention, and optimizes the mowing effort.

Mode of action
PRIMO® MAXX® is a Class A Plant Growth Regulator (PGR) and is a Late Gibberellin (GA1 ) Biosynthesis Inhibitor.

Targets
Unlike other PGR's, PRIMO MAXX targets the part of the plant which inhibits vertical growth while enabling rich colour, lateral stems and root mass development. The purpose of pre-stress conditioning is to prepare turf grass for extreme conditions before they hit.

*** Repeat applications improve turf quality and stress tolerance, allowing plants to survive adverse weather better and keep the course in playable condition.

*** This micro-emulsion formulation is as clear as water, odorless and causes no staining or smell on the golf course

*** Turf growth is reduced about 50% for up to four weeks when applied at label rate. So PRIMO MAXX product cost will pay for itself with labor and equipment savings. Mowing equipment life is extended and equipment performance is improved

*** Improves overseeding establishment

*** Turf treated with PRIMO MAXX results in grass which is healthier, has a more durable blade with a higher tolerance to weather extremes
======================

I am considering testing this this year. However, it's expensive. It's only sold in gallon conatianers and costs $433/gal and uses .75oz/m for Fescue lawns.

KenH
06-04-2003, 08:14 PM
It only works for 4 weeks???

Hamons
06-04-2003, 08:15 PM
yep!

bob
06-04-2003, 08:20 PM
i've used regular Primo (primo Max wasn't out then) and it workedd quite well. I used it on some very long fence lines. This saved me a lot of trimming time. I think I payed $117 for a quart. If I recall , this rate was 1 - 2 ounces per gallon.

Doc Pete
06-04-2003, 09:06 PM
So, please help me out. What's the advantage of it. I charge by the cut, so I'm screwing myself out of money if use Primo max. Furthermore, if I was cutting the lawn when it really didn't need it, I'm screwing the customer. Finally, though it's possible, I think I'd have a really hard time convincing the customer that I'm charging more for my services, because I'm cutting the lawn less, but charging him more the chemical I put on so it doesn't grow.
Please tell where this product is a money maker for me.
I can see if you have "contract work" and don't want to mow the lawn, but then as a customer, if I calculated the money I was spending and watched how much you were cutting the grass and high it was, I'd fire you and get another service.
Pete

KirbysLawn
06-04-2003, 09:28 PM
Easy to answer. For you there would be no advantage to using Primo Max, first you have said before you don't do apps, so you would have to pay someone else. I have sprayed over 200 k this spring at $10 per k plus stop fee, the math is easy around $3000. for $600 worth of product (Primo and Iron).

I do full management, not just a cutting service, so my goal is to have turf looking good all year long. When many lawns are burning in the summer mine are still green, the use of Primo Max and a pre-conditioner and Sustaine mine stay green...more moeny for me.

Since my customers pay monthly I benifit for the quicker mows and skipped trimmings, since the lawn looks great, clipping are mimimal, beds stay clean and all are happy.

IF you get paid per cut STAY AVAY FROM PRIMO MAX!! IF you are paid to manage nice properties and are looking for an incredable product here it is.

I posted this last year but here is an example of what Primo Max can do, a weeks work of growth in the spring last year, when others were double and triple cutting I was rapidly single cutting and not trimming half the time.

A weeks growth:

KirbysLawn
06-04-2003, 09:32 PM
When your lawn is buring in the summer and you are not mowing, my monthly checks are still rolling in and the lawns are green. You see here the treated v/s untreated, both irrigated:

KirbysLawn
06-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by KenH
It only works for 4 weeks???

I found on tall fescue the coverage was 10 weeks or so at 0.75 oz per k, go slightly higher and coverage is longer.

Doc Pete
06-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
Easy to answer. For you there would be no advantage to using Primo Max,

Glad to have you explain. I figured there was a "full maintenance” program that was involved. I have found that the added cutting in the spring makes up for lost work in the summer, and things average out. Also, when work slows in the summer, is exactly when I get the vacation I need. Being solo is definetly a different animal.:p
thanks for the info,
Pete

KenH
06-05-2003, 06:54 AM
At $2.50 per thousand, I can see it being worth it for some props. Does anyone have any experience for Blue or Rye grass?? How early in the spring can you apply??

Doc Pete
06-05-2003, 07:58 AM
I found on tall fescue the coverage was 10 weeks or so at 0.75 oz per k, go slightly higher and coverage is longer.

Hey, now wait a minute. If this stuff really works well, what about using it for the Cemeteries I mow??? If I cut not weed wack around the graves for 2 weeks at a time I'd be saving $100 a cut. We can get close but that 3" around the stones....... It would work terrific, not to trim that part. Please tell me more........ does it work well enough to slow the grow, so that that 3" inches wouldn't be long enough to show????
Thanks,
Pete

KirbysLawn
06-05-2003, 12:31 PM
PEte, yes...it would help you there. See if LEsco can get you a sample. IF not check into ordering Triple Play from LEsco, it's a combo pack I use on Zoysia, has 23-0-23, 10% Iron, and Primo. It's $90 and just use the Primo to get a taste of what it's like, use the iron and fert later. You can easily skips trimmings in your case.

TLS
06-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Back when Primo first came out, I got a nice free sample. A box full of 5 half pint size measuring bottles! Still have about a pint left.

I use it on my front bank and somt tough fence lines.

Pete,

Go gonzo trimming the headstones one day, then spray the Primo If you did this today, you probably wouldn't need to weed wack till August. Keeps the turf real dark green. I tested it by making a + sign about 4' in size in my back yard one year. It was a nice DARK green + sign that lasted visibly for a few months! Amazing stuff. Dangerous if prices drop and homeowners find out!

Doc Pete
06-05-2003, 01:41 PM
PEte, yes...it would help you there. See if LEsco can get you a sample. IF not check into ordering Triple Play from LEsco, it's a combo pack I use on Zoysia, has 23-0-23, 10% Iron, and Primo. It's $90 and just use the Primo to get a taste of what it's like, use the iron and fert later. You can easily skips trimmings in your case.

Thanks TLS and Kirby. This post has really been worthwhile. If I can shortcut my trimming it will be a big help.
Pete

KirbysLawn
06-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Please let us know if you try it and the results you find. I have been getting emails this week from new customers who mow their lawns and tried it this year, all are positive as usual. I offer a 100% money back guarantee, so far in 3 years not a single complaint much less a refund. ;)

rvsuper
06-06-2003, 01:25 AM
Kirby,
Have you heard of a product called Turf Enhancer? I am debating on which to use, either Primo or Enhancer, but I need to do it soon before it gets too warm.

Thanks,
Alex

MOW ED
06-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Ray,
do you apply it with a hose and gun or do you have a ztr sprayer. I am wondering what the iron would do if I sprayed thru my ztr sprayer.
I am thinking real hard about this stuff and trying to get an idea how to market it in my area. Not many people know about it here but I don't want to cut my throat on the mowing end. Thanks

rvsuper
06-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Mow Ed,
I think it really only pays for full management, like what Ray and myself do. Not trying to discourage you, but I really think that it's for full management services and golf courses, parks, cemetaries, etc., unless you apply it to clients that mow their own lawn?

rkk95
06-06-2003, 05:59 PM
I think that it would pay for us applicators to use if it helps the drought tolerance, and keeps it as green as the other guys are saying, Most of my customers are in new plans with very little topsoil, they lose color fairly quick most are irrigated, if someone skips one ap at anytime during the year it is a night and day difference, I have to use alot of fert to keep them green and the customer happy, if I could cut back on the fert it would even out the price and then the mowing guys would quit complaining to me. I will test it somewhere before I start selling it.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-11-2003, 12:43 AM
I sprayed it on 3 lawns I do at my cost to slow them down, these 3 lawns were getting double cut and blowing clippings 2 times a week. 2 years ago I tried cutting back on the fert and skipped 2 applicaions, and the lawns still grew, but were not as green, and then as soon as summer hit, they burnned out fast.

Last year I hit them with Prim Maxx and we cut them 1 time twice a week, green as can be and did not have to aerate and overseed the snot out of them.

I hit them this year again, and I only have to appy it once a year, but, at the cost of 1.5 man hours each vists, it helps out a huge amount.

BTW one of the lawns is all Zoysia.

rvsuper
06-11-2003, 01:33 AM
LGF or anyone-

Have you heard of Turf Enhancer 2SC By Anderson's/Scotts? It's a PGR, same results as Primo, but alot cheaper I've heard.

http://www.andersonsgolfproducts.com/PDF/Products/PT8789_spec.pdf

LAWNGODFATHER
06-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Never heard of it, but I don't buy Scotts.

EJK2352
06-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Very interesting. How much cheaper?? I got those same Primo samples as TLS did. The stuff is awesome. Tried it out on my home lawn and didn't have to mow for a month!!

rvsuper
06-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Not sure on the price, but I might be getting that along with the Primo that I have already, just to test for the future years.

lordohturf
06-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Primo is real good early in the spring when the flush growth just starts up. Like the Godfather said, the reduction in double cutting
can save alot of labor hours that can be spent doing something more productive. Many companies just do trim and edge with it to save expense on product. Steep hills or other areas of high difficulty to cut are also high on the Primo priority list.

Many people will use iron with it to offset the discoloration of turf from higher rates.

Chipco has a pgr called Proxy which is cheaper than Primo. It does not offer instant regulation like Primo. Embark and Cutlass are a couple more products.

For the guys who have flat monthly billing, regualtors can be very beneficial, especially early spring.

rkk95
06-11-2003, 05:13 PM
lgf, do you charge for the application? I think that people in my area would gladly pay for it, just to reduce the amount of water they have to pay for in the hot summer months. I have heard of growth regulators turning the grass a little brown, but I have never used any.

kickin sum grass
06-11-2003, 07:19 PM
when you talk about other pgr's being cheaper make sure you take into account that they are at higher rates. Primo is .75oz /1000 for most cool season but proxy is something like 4-5 (it has been a while since i looked at the label) / 1000. Look at the cost per 1000 to see if it is a good deal not cost per gallon. We have been using primo maxx for 3 years now. We do apply it to lawns we mow and also to lawns homeowners mow themselves. All with great results. We do this mixed right along with a broadleaf app that also contains iron. This way there is no other labor cost involved other than at mixing time.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
I sprayed it on 3 lawns I do at my cost

They will pay for it to reduce mowing, but I haven't had time to market it.

FERT-TEK
06-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Have any of you guys ran Primo Max, Proxy, or Turf enhancer through a permagreen ultra? I was considering using one of these products but the 1/2 gal of water per 1000 minimum, scared me away for now. I spoke to the Andersons rep who advised me not to use the Turf-enhancer in a PG. Have any of you used any of these products in a Perma Green successfully? If so, which product, and how many oz. per 1000.

LwnmwrMan22
06-22-2004, 11:57 PM
FLC Dave -

Last Thursday I ran it through my Ultra, at a rate of 1.3 oz/1000 for the fencelines and all other trimming I do at one of the schools that I mow.

Just ran it out the left nozzle, in the high gear, high rate nozzle.

I posted this on another thread by MrBareFood so if I don't get back to this one, maybe watch that thread?

Anyways, I was by there last night and couldn't really tell any difference, the problem being we haven't had any rain for 2 weeks now and nothing but sunny and windy weather, so none of the grass has really grown.

Guess we'll see what it's like on Thursday when we mow again.

FERT-TEK
06-23-2004, 08:33 AM
LwnmwrMan22 which product did you use? What rate did the label suggest? I beleive the Proxy takes about a week to show results but you have waited two weeks. Maybe it wont work because of the water carrier problem I spoke of earlier. Also, which is the "left" nozzle did you run it out of the red or grey ones. THANKS for the quick reply.

LwnmwrMan22
06-23-2004, 10:13 AM
I used Primo Maxxxxxxxx. I ran it out of the gray nozzles, the high rate ones. It hasn't been two weeks yet, it'll be one week starting Thursday, June 24.

The label itself suggests 1 oz / 1000, but if yellowing can be tolerated, you can go up to twice the suggested rate.

The reason I chose 1.3 oz / 1000 was because I could then get 3 tanks out of my one gallon of Primo.

I guess for me, I should have probably changed nozzles, to focus the spray to a smaller area since I'm only doing fence lines and trimmed areas, but at the same time, I should have an area about 3-4' wide from all the fences that don't have to be mowed as often now.

If this doesn't work, next time I'll have to use the old back-up skid sprayer next time. Guess that'll just give me an excuse to buy a new four-wheeler and rig up a little trailer :)

FERT-TEK
06-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Thanks, my fertilizer suplier was pushing me toward the Proxy. If I remember right, Proxycalls for 5 oz / 1000. Post your Primo results if you get them. Lawn color, reduction in clippings, overlap issues if any, etc. I am also looking into possibly adding some chelated iron with the appliction. If or when I do it I will post my experience with you guys. Right now I am simply doing some investigative work on the various products especially the ones used in a Perma-green. Thanks again.

Garden Panzer
06-24-2004, 02:00 AM
I've been a Proxy guy since it came out, it's CHEAPER than Primo. I apply it April 15 and Sept. 17
:cool:

FERT-TEK
06-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Panzer, do you use it in a Perma-green? If so what dilution are you using? Cant find the label right now but as posted above I think it is around 5oz. / 1000. I am concerned about the 1/2 gal of water / 1000 issue the label states, any burning from it? Also has it been hard on your eqipment? PH is around 1.7 I think.

Garden Panzer
06-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Areas that I have overapplied get this "hairspray" feeling, just seems to grow sideways REAL hard. Keeps liquid iron color LONGER. I listed the ONLY time frames I apply in.... for me anyway, I wouldn't spray ANY PGR's on drought time grass....the heats doin' the pinchin' ( even irrigated summer turf), I just do spring and fall. Good Luck!
I found that a good roots program works REAL well with "reg'd" lawns!
www.rootsinc.com

FERT-TEK
06-25-2004, 09:40 AM
How soon after applying the PGR's can you cut the lawn. Although I dont bag my clippings arent those products a absorbed through the leaf not the root system if I remember right.

vango123
06-25-2004, 11:56 AM
How does it work on common bermuda, does it only stop leaf growth or does it also effect prostrate growth or runners.

Garden Panzer
06-26-2004, 12:10 AM
I just mow it, then spray it, then come back next week and mow it @ the SAME height, then the week AFTER you know it's working.... that's why I time for MAY, the hardest month, and then for late Sept and OCT, where your FALL program is CRUCIAL here, in the fall I switch to reels 'cause it rains allot!
Yes the PGR is foliar, so you want good coverage and all that- I found that 5oz/1000 k is fine and don't try it at lower rates- it doesn't work as well, watch drift on SHRUBS....( I've seen it do weird things to Rhodies! ssshhhhhh....),plus I found that running the clippings back in helps it run better, the grass will be growing sideways instead of up, so it gets real thick.... good luck

FERT-TEK
06-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Panzer, Thanks, I called the guy from Permagreen about the dilution issue, he suggested using it at half rate and make two passes in opposite directions which will give you the 1/2 gallon water carrier needed. One more question for you guys how late is too late to apply PGR's in two to three weeks it is really going to heat up in Chicago maybe sooner. Definitely no drought stress here right now.

So it is off to the store for some PGR.

LwnmwrMan22
06-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Panzer -

What you're saying, is the SECOND week after you spray is when you see the results with Proxy?

LwnmwrMan22
06-26-2004, 04:30 PM
FLC Dave -

I just posted on the other thread, that all the pics will be reposted. You'll notice where when I made a pass down both sides of a chainlink fence, that it worked better than some cases where there was a fire hydrant or some places even trees.

Check back in the morning, there'll be a thread "1st week results with Primo in PG Ultra revisited".

Garden Panzer
06-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Yes you'll see results 14 days after application....
plus Proxy is cheaper than Primo....it's why I like it...
BUT remember the dates I spoke of....

LwnmwrMan22
06-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Yeah yeah, I remember.... :) Just wondering if I'll notice better results with my Primo this week now, being Thursday will be the second week after I applied.

Mowing Dude
08-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Holy crap, sounds like amazing stuff.