PDA

View Full Version : Roots in Lawn

Keni
06-05-2003, 12:14 AM
I am doing a job were I am replacing a lawn. I posted questions about how to do this last week and got great advice. Well the neighbor came over yesterday and wants his lawn replaced as well. I cant refuse the work because its an area close to home and he knows what I charged for the current job and didnt seem to flinch. The problem is his house is adjacent to a wooded lot and the tree roots have migrated onto his lawn and are covering the surface of the soil. He belives this to be killing his grass. I have no idea and was wondering if this would kill the grass. And how to remove the roots and keep them removed with out cutting down the trees as he does not own the other lot. Thanks.

blafleur
06-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Check to make sure its not the shade from the trees that have caused the grass to thin out, allowing erosion exposing the roots, this is the most common cause of exposed roots in my area. There are a few trees that put out such a dense and shallow root system it thins out the grass. The problem is even if you cut the roots out, it is only a matter of time until the problem is back. I usually use ground cover in these areas.

Bryan

Georgiehopper
06-05-2003, 10:45 AM
If the lawn is under the drip line of these trees its going to be very difficult to maintain nice turf. The trees compete for water and nutrients and their roots plus the dripping during rain, will cause compaction of the soil and eventual barespots.

I would say convert to groundcover...otherwise this could be a source of call backs for you. If Mondo Grass or Lirope works in your area, think about using it instead.