PDA

View Full Version : How to kill a tree!!!

TLS
09-22-2000, 09:55 PM
Don't like to admit it, but I have a neighbor whoose tree roots are climbing into my sewer line. Had it snaked and nothing but roots. How can I silently end this trees life? Its right on the line but it is clearly his and wouldn't consider asking him to remove it, but if in the Spring, it has no leaves... maybe he will remove it. Its a crappy Mulberry tree and drops those berries all over my lawn. Is there a injection I can give it? Or, a gallon of Tri-ox during the night do the trick??

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, I love trees, but when its costing me $ and agravation, thats where it stops.

MOW ED
09-23-2000, 09:04 AM
One thing you can try to help yourself out is to find your main drain and get about 5 or 6 chlorine pellets that you use in pools and put them in your drain. This was taught to me by a old sewer guy and it really works to keep the roots out of your drain.
As far as killing the tree, I know what to do but I'd rather you not get in trouble from my advise. Good Luck.

BRL
09-23-2000, 01:10 PM
Sneak over there and put a lightning rod in the top of that tree when nobody's around & hope for the best! ;) Send the neighbor the bills you are incurring from his tree and ask him to pay them. You might have a good case for small claims court (maybe mentioning that will get him to consider actually paying them) Explain all of the problems the tree is causing on your property & ask him if he'll consider having it cut down. Since your in the business, offer to find him a good tree contractor and get the best price for him. Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Turf Kutter
09-23-2000, 03:14 PM
I am not sure if this works or not but I am not responsible if this does not work-Seak over when nobody is around but you like night time and nail a few copper nails in them.Go to a machine shop and ask them to make a few copper nails then nail then in the tree trunk.I am not sure if it works or not but it works on palm trees though hope I`ve helped but I am not responsible to what occurs.

bob
09-23-2000, 04:51 PM
Have you actually talked to him about this problem? He might say "yea I've been thinking of taking the thing down".
I would have to try the "nice" way, before I went the sneaky way! Also, think of the circumstances if your caught!

Turf Kutter
09-24-2000, 10:59 PM
Good point bob.:)

TLS
09-25-2000, 04:20 PM
I know these posts seem a little harsh, but what I am referring to is that a Mulberry is like a weed, it keeps growing and growing. When I cut one down before, the stump still sends out shoots of new tree. Therefore the root system is still active, if not, OVERLY active in order to restart life as a tree again. Thats why I was wondering if there is a sterilant or chemical to inject into it to kill it from the roots up. The neighbor doesn't care at all about this tree as it drops berries all over his car in the driveway. I'm not being sneaky, just trying to get some ideas. I would never do anything illegal especially to a good neighbor.

I just want it dead!! ;-)

BRL
09-25-2000, 04:40 PM
In that case, Napalm works good. Just make sure you don't hit the neighbor's house, or his berry laden car ;)

lawrence stone
09-26-2000, 04:01 PM
Round up drive-by b/4 the leaves fall.

TLS
09-26-2000, 08:01 PM
Lawrence,

Its a 50 sum foot tree! Without killing the whole neighborhood with overspray drift, I don't know what you are implying? Round-up only works on weeds and small bushes, not trees, right?

GroundKprs
09-26-2000, 10:28 PM
dixie, the best tree killer is triclopyr. This used to be the active ingredient in Ortho's Brush-B-Gon. I am referring to the concentrated form, generally about 8% active ingredient, not the premixed types. Not sure if it is still available. Have also seen the Enforcer brand of brush killer to be 8% triclopyr.

When cutting down a weed tree, make your lowest cut a perfect horizontal. If you flood this stump with the full strength triclopyr-based product, you will have a 95% success rate in stump killing. If you drill several large holes into the stump, and fill these as well as the flooding, you will probably have a 100% success rate. (Probably, because nothing in nature is 100%, or it wouldn't be nature.) We have large eyedroppers for application in the holes.

You can kill a standing tree by drilling into it in a downward angle and injecting the herbicide. But it is usually easier to cut down a living tree than a dead one, so we do the stump treatment. If you do kill the tree first, be sure to cut it down soon after. Dead tree is harder wood if it sits very long.

mdb landscaping
10-11-2000, 06:12 PM
putting copper nails in the tree trunk does work. give it a try. hopefully in the spring the tree wont come back to life

dylan
10-11-2000, 10:46 PM
Some of the old timers in my area cut the tree flush with the ground, drill holes in the stump, pour in "salt of petre" (I think that is how it is spelled) They then cover the stump with compost. The salt of petre kills the stump and the compost rots the wood.

WARNING !!! SALT OF PETRE IF EXPOSED TO THE SKIN CAN CAUSE ERECTILE PROBLEMS WARNING!!!

So said the drugist.

Stinger
10-12-2000, 11:21 AM
There is a product called blue root and it is small blue crystal rock salt sized granuals. You pour them down the cleanout pipe and they will lodge aginst any roots in your line. Over a period of time they eat up these roots preventing the blockage. It need be applied once a year or sooner if desired to prevent future or reoccuring problems. Just check with any well stocked local mom & pop hardware store. If they don't have it they can probally order it for you.