PDA

View Full Version : Subcontractors being Solicited By Customers

Georgiehopper
06-05-2003, 10:49 AM
I subcontract out most of my patios and other hardscapes. I have had a bit of a problem with customers approaching the subcontractors to perform extra work at a much reduced cost. Though this does bother me somewhat, I usually dont' say much about it.

But recently, a customer called me complaining about the work the subcontractor did extra for him. I told the customer that the extra work as per our signed contract is NOT part of the agreement and he will have to work with the subcontractor himself.

These people are expecting to circumvent my company to save money, but then want me to fix it if the subcontractor screws up.

Does anyone else have this problem?

The Green Way
06-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Could you use a non-compete contract with your sub-contractors? I am sure there are many generic contracts online that you could find and use for something like this. I could totally see how that could be a problem cause the subcontractor can mess up your good name if they do a bad job, even if the customer hired them to do the job.

Georgiehopper
06-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Good idea. I always thought a non-compete contract is for employees of the company though.

The Green Way
06-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Yea you can do it with both. Can anyone else let us know how you handle this?

BRL
06-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Here's an example of a non compete that you could edit for your situation. There also may be other better examples at that site.
http://www.legaldocs.com/htsgif.d/xnon-com.mv