PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers in the business...

Pages : [1] 2

lawnranger44
06-05-2003, 10:49 AM
I am 17 and my brother is 15 and we own a small business as you all know. We mow 15 regular clients with several odds and ends jobs every week. How many others out there are just teenagers mowing after school and on Saturdays? What equipment do you run? We just made a fine business investment in our 36" Exmark. Any teenagers out there with a larger business? If so, how the heck do you manage?

Runner
06-05-2003, 11:30 AM
All I can say is this. If you are 17, and your brother is 15, and you have a 36" Exmark wb, then you are MILES ahead of many others. This mower will carry you though for a LONG time. Will you grow? Oh, probably. Will you want, need, and get a bigger mower? Probably so. However, the mower you have is one that you will be able to keep and get use out of with no matter WHAT you end up with. This is just a great unit to have, for several uses. Period. I often wish I had one for certain applications, as well. When I started (later than you), I broke off from working with a large landscape co. and I started out with a pushmower and an old beat up van. I wish you could see what I look like now. I saved, and bought a small tractor, then gutted an old pop-up camper for a trailer. From there, I bought my first real truck (just happened to be a 1 ton because I got a good deal on it), and shortly after, I purchased my first commercial mower. A 52" John Deere wb with the sit down sulky and bagger unit. (a steel box that weighed about 20 lbs. empty). I still have that mower 20 years later, even though it never used. (If I had a 36, perhaps I'd be using it for gated areas). Anyway, from there, I purchased a trailer (18' tandem) and then purchased another identical wb. Some years later, came the Gravely 300 Promaster rider, and then the Lazer. So, rather than having some stuff that you will be wearing out, YOU have purchased a machine that is BUILT to run all day - everyday. Wise choice, and you are blessed for having been able to do so. Most people aren't that lucky. Good luck with it, and take your blessing and GO with it. ;)

mrbenfer
06-05-2003, 11:38 AM
I'm 17 and i mow between 12-15 homes a week. Its tough mowing during school but its good money so i deal with it.

I use a 21"YardGuy Mower.... Which is broken by the way

i'm currently looking to buy a used commercial mower.... Looking to spend under 2000. Can it be done?

Mitch

lawnranger44
06-05-2003, 12:02 PM
mrbenfer i think it can be done.

how big of a deck do you want?

if you are looking for a 36" then it can definitely be done. We bought our Exmark metro 36" brand new for about $2500. it's hard to come by good used commercial equipment because most people don't want to sell them because they still run fine after a lot of use.
look on ebay and any used mower places around your area. trust me, it'll be worth it if you do spend a little over your budget. once you use commercial equipment, you'll never go back to little 21"ers. it's awesome.

good luck

The Lawn Boy Pro
06-05-2003, 12:14 PM
I do 48 lawns a week (close to half every other though) and one of these being our church-commercial. I am homeschooled, so I have a LOT more time to deal with biz. As part of school, how I run and manage my small business gets graded-Part of learning how life in the REAL world will be so it works out pretty well for me. As for equipment, I run:

-Encore Pro Line 52" 20HP Liquid Cooled, OHV Kawasaki
-5HP B&S Trac Vac (For Encore)
-Honda 21" 4HP OHV, 2 Speed, Eletc. Start, Twin Blade, Bagger
-MTD 5HP Walkbehind Edger
-MTD 18.5 HP B&S 46" Garden Tractor
-4x5 Utility Trailer (for MTD Tractor-haul multch,etc. around on properties)
-Mclutch 18" String trimmer (strait shaft)
-Homelite 18: Gas Hedge Trimmer
-Homelite 60cc 208 MPH Backpack Blower
-Toro Recycler 21" 6HP 1 speed bagger
-8HP Troy Bilt Tiller
-Homelite 21" Twin Blade Mulcher/Side Discharge
-3HP 9800 GPH 2" Trash Pump (For Watergarden/Pond Cleanouts)
-5HP John Deere Rear engine rider (not really for biz, just have it)

-10x6 Single Axle open Landscape Trailer
-87' Dodge Dakota V6 w/44,000 Miles

rookiemower
06-05-2003, 12:22 PM
i am nineteen just started this year i was able to use my dads 5x12 and shtil trimmer and i took my own money and bought a new GRAVELY 36" (2 hrs), a cheap yard machines trim mower and a echo blower i mostly picked up my first customers from friends and family which is about 7 but i plan to have at least 15 by the end of the summer i use my explorer to haul my stuff around and it looks alittle dumb but everyones got to start somewhere right now i am in a community college and i have thought about making this a career:blob3:

jaredslawncare
06-05-2003, 12:42 PM
Im only fifteen and have a sucessful buisness with a few commercial accounts that keep me afloat. i have 2 nice mowers and neice equipment and i cant even drive i have to have my dad drive me to the commercial companys

The Lawn Boy Pro
06-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Oh ya, I forgot-My ditch/steep hill mower is a:

-Toro Flymo 20" Hover mower (Floats on grass with no wheels)

challenger55
06-05-2003, 04:37 PM
i am 14 and have 10 clients

i have a
commerical honda 21in 5hp
kawasaki string trimmer commercial
crapy homelite b/p blower
generac pressure washer 5hp honda

Turf Technologies
06-05-2003, 06:22 PM
I'm 17 and i mow between 12-15 homes a week. Its tough mowing during school but its good money so i deal with it.

Could get a new Lesco belt drive for around your budget.

Kohls Landscaping Co
06-05-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm nineteen and at OSU majoring in landscape horticulture. I started mowing in 1995 and has expanded greatly with landscaping. I have an older brother who has been working full-time while I am at school and a younger brother in high school who works when he has time. We mow 15 lawns and are very involved with landscaping. Right now, I have enough landscaping business that the three of us are booked for the next 2 months solid. Normally, we are having someone work with us everyday.

As for managing everything, it's very tough. I am home weekend from friday to sunday night making sure jobs are getting done correctly and contacting customers. It's rough sometimes with not having much of a social life at school, but i guess that is what fall and winter quarter are for...

As for equipment:
17 hp 52" Toro walk-behind
12.5 hp 32" Toro walk-behind
21" push mower

STIHL
FS 85 Weedeater
(2) Backpack blowers
(2) Chainsaws
Gas Hedge Trimmer

Rototiller, snowblower and the list goes on and on....

'93 GMC Sierra (4x4)

mrusk
06-05-2003, 06:51 PM
I am 17 and am going to start mowing next year. I got to save up the money to buy the exmark 52in wb. I work at a trailer shop so i will get a trailer for the cost of the steel.

For you that are under 18 and you a legit business with insurance and everything? Can i have a real business with everything in my name before i am 18? I turn 18 may12 which is already a month into the mowing season. So i may start mowing with out insurance and a real business name for a month then get legit on my 18th bday. I just don't want the business in my dads name, and it seems like it would be a hassle to switch everything over to my name once i turn 18.

matt

Edgewater
06-05-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm 19 (until theend of the week). I cut 75 res and 2 commericial weekly with

Toro 21" comm
Lawn boy 21" comm
toro 17 hp 44" Z-master
Sthil br 420
shindawa T-270
88 F-250 4X4
6.5x12 landscaping trailer

and one employee takes 3 days.

Runner
06-05-2003, 11:02 PM
I have to know. So, - you are telling us that you are cutting 25 places a day, PLUS your 2 commercial accounts in the same days. I must tell you, I've been in this business a long time - (longer than you've been around), and I have NEVER seen THIS be able to be done. I wish you'd fill me in on your secret, because this may change the whole dynamics of physical science for me and make me a very rich man. Please do tell...................

fblandscape
06-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Runner, so long as his lawns aren't huge, 25 lawns a day is fiesable for 2 guys. My good friend has a record of somewhere close to 40 lawns in a day with a 4 man crew. Another guy I know, his best for 1 day is something like 23 lawns in a day with him and 1 other guy. Some of those were good size lawns.

grassyfras
06-05-2003, 11:29 PM
I do about 15 with a few light other jobs a week. I just dont have a social life anymore, but I'm kind of happy about that. For me to manage my little buisness I just set my priorities to what I think is more important.

Live4Mowin'
06-06-2003, 12:28 AM
im 14 and im only doing a couple yards in my old neighborhood with a 21" craftsman. I also use a craftsman trimmer and blower. I am looking to upgrade to a 36" scag and to upgrade my blower and trimmer to echo. by the way, my mom takes me to my lawns.

Ricky

lawncare3
06-06-2003, 12:34 AM

8 lawns

Plus 2-3 on/off

I also do odd jobs on occasion.

I have a 48" hydro W/B and 2-21"ers with other varois equip.

Btw: The 48 NEVER gets used because ALL yards are gated and the BIGGEST is 2500k sf

WPLE
06-06-2003, 01:21 AM
I am fixin to be twenty in a month. I have 11 commercial and somewhere around 30 res. accounts. I have been at this since the 7th grade. Up until this year I have done it by myself but I hired a helper this summer. I work him 5 days a week and we still do not get caught up. I have learned that you are not really ever caught up, always something.

Anyway, going to school full time, like 2 semesters being done with a degree in landscape man. so i can become liscensed. Already doing landscaping, hard to make time for that right now though. Maybe one day a week if i am lucky with the weather.
No major social life growing up eather. I am blessed with a wonderful girlfriend who understands why i do not come home till 9:00 or later every night.

As for equipment:
'03 JD 737 54in.
'95 JD 178 38in.
2 stihl fs85's
stihl b/p blower
stihl edger
16' open trailer
'97 F150 (This is the next upgrade, hopefully this winter)

Strawbridge Lawn
06-06-2003, 07:09 AM
Congrats. I wish there were more young folks like you with a work ethic.

FrankenScagMachines
06-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Strawbridge, there is one more, me haha....

I'm 16 (got my permit now, license to come in one month) with 8 weekly customers that take me 8 hrs (with no breaks!) a week to do them all, ranging from 5k sq.ft. to 1 acre. Here's my equipment:

6.5x12 open trailer- actually my parents but they kind of bought it for me as they would not own one if not for me.

1992 52" Scag hydro drive walk behind with 14hp kawasaki, 2 wheel sulky, homemade mulch baffles kit.

1989 32" Toro rear engine rider that I made into a walk behind, but I never use it (occasionally for tall and real wet yards that it does better than the Scag).

1984 Toro 21" 3 speed with mid 90's Lawn Boy engine that I put on it.

2002 Stihl FS80 trimmer
1996 Stihl FS36 curved shaft trimmer (freebie)
1996 Stihl 009 chainsaw (freebie)

2000 Echo SRM2400 split boom with trimmer, edger and hedge trimmer
2000 Echo HCR1500 hedge trimmer

1999 Kawasaki KRB400A backpack blower

gas cans and all that stuff.

And I'm in the process of buying my first vehicle! A 1990 Ford F250 with a 351 V8 and 5 speed manual transmission. I have been using my parent's 1 ton Ford van. My mom has been going with me and will until I get my license.

Anyone younger that wants to email me or instant message please do, my email is eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz

Eric

lawnranger44
06-06-2003, 10:38 AM
As for the social life issue, i always try to keep friday night open for the guys, saturday night for the woman, and never work on Sundays. I believe you should not sacrifice time with friends/family to work (especiallly being my age). Now please see that this doesn't mean we don't work till dark on every weekday and at least 6 hours on Saturday. Moderation is key :cool:

WPLE
06-06-2003, 11:34 AM
I am gone two weekends a month fishing in bass tournaments. All my friends are either married or almost married so we do not hang out much anymore. My "woman" goes to work with me. Unless it is going to be to hot. She sometimes sprays a little roundup or runs the blower but most of the time she sits in the truck and does homework.(pre-pharmacy, lots of homework)

I am used to not having any free time to do anything thats why i fish tournaments. If I pay money then I have to go, can't work.

Craig Jones
06-06-2003, 11:54 AM
My son started cutting grass when he was 15 and he is now 21. He works with his brother who is 15. Since they were and are homeschooled, they were able to cut after 1:00 -2:00 each day. They do take off Sundays.

They started with a 21" Toro Proline and have since picked up a 36 " Toro and a 52" Toro. They do about 45 lawns either weekly or bi weekly.

Last year they bought a Ford F-150 and Landscape trailer and numerous other pieces of equipment.

They found their production took off when they first bought the 36" Toro. Much better than trying to make do with a 21".

They at times find it hard to balance social life, family time and work obligations.

TaussigLawnCare
06-06-2003, 01:17 PM
I am 18 now and I have over one hundred lawns that I mow every week I own 3 trucks and often run two crews hmm I have lots of comercial equipment 4 walkbehinds and now I am about to sell its all. I was homeschooled also so I could work all the time and school at night.

turkp15
06-06-2003, 02:01 PM
im 17 going to 18 in aug. A friend and I got started may 28 of this year. we currently have 25 accounts we cut weekly. We cut our lawns w/ a exmark 52" w/b, have 1 toro 22' push, echo split shaft trimmer,edger,weed eater, and a echo 44cc blower we haul it with a 90' ford f-150 v8 w/ a 6'/12' trailer.

Edgewater
06-06-2003, 05:55 PM
I get about 27 -28 lawns done some days and less on the days we do the commercials.

80 % of the properties are close enough that we do 2-6 in one stop. travel time is minimal. my productuvity has gone up 30% with the Z.

lawns range from 3K to 15K of turf.

adam

Bunton Guy
06-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Im 19 and running my own company since I was 14. Graduated high school when I was 16 so I didnt have to worry about managing accounts after school. Now doing a hair over 50 accounts some being over 5 acres with 3 employees. Keep your head in the books read alot about running a company and stay on track. Your allready heading in the right direction.

NNJLandman
06-06-2003, 09:04 PM
I'm currently 16 and have 14 accounts one for each day of the week and one set is one week on one week off. I do full service lawn care. I mainly work in my neighborhood. I trim bushes mow fertilize, etc. I work at a Garden Center during the day til 7:00 then by then it has cooled down and I go do a account. Sometimes I have to do more than one but I'm very well organized in billing(use microsoft access to bill etc) and getting the job done. I have also done some small landscaping, nothing big but a few have asked me to mulch, put up a fieldstone wall retaining wall plant some shrubs, do some designing and give suggestions. So thats my life heh

Krois Landscaping
06-06-2003, 09:18 PM
I'm 18 and only cut 5-7 lawns. I started cutting my neighbors yard when i was 8, so i've been cutting lawns for 10 years now. I started off using my dad's 21" push mower and then used my grandpa's 21" craftsman after he passed away :( . I then upgraded to a 21" toro mulcher (hated it) and then to a 21" snapper 6.5 hp self propelled. That mower is great.

About 4 years ago i got a 4x9 trailer and a used exmark 48" to do the lawns. Since i got my liscense, i've had a dump truck and have 1995 F250 pickup truck and a 1988 Toyota pickup w/ a flatbed on it. I currently have a 36" encore walk behind, the snapper 21" , an echo srm2100 trimmer, stihl br400 backpack blower and a giant vac 8hp push blower.

I only do lawns one day a week and do some dump runs and small landscaping projects for customers. I also work at a gas station weekdays 3-7pm and i've start to work for an excavating contractor mornings.

This will be my last year cutting lawns for people. I realized it's something i would not like to do for a living and have interests in other lines of work.

Mowing lawns is a good way to start out though, so hats off to all the other teenagers in the business :waving:

IndyPropertyCare
06-06-2003, 09:26 PM
OK, it has been said before.. and I will say it again. There is a button below that says "spell check ".... students !!!!! listen up. You must learn to spell, if you don't want to learn to spell words correctly, then please use spell check when communicating with customers and other piers around you. This is not directed at everyone, those who know...know who they are.

Sorry, just a thing that bugs me.

danlawnser
06-06-2003, 09:44 PM
hey guys I am 17 and manage about 25-30 accounts aweek. I will be a senior next year but THIS industry can burn u out in a hurry.
Bunton guy I need to talk to u sometime. I am just up in hickory.

Allgreen
06-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Well, i am 16 and i am now working two jobs i guess you could say. On Monday through Thursday I work with this guy mowing lawns. He does around 120 lawns a week and has four people working for him including me. He has two 36" Gravely w/b, a Scag 36" w/b, and four lawn boy push mowers and other various hand held equipment. on Fridays I service my 16 residential accounts with my 48" Bob-Cat w/b, a 21" Toro Push mower, a Echo back pack blower, an Echo Stick edger, and a Kawasaki trimmer. I always try to keep Friday nights open for friends and then i do my homework when i am done with work. So thats more or less what I do every week... I am new to this site and it has been very informative so far so i would like to say hi to everyone. :waving:

lawnboyil
06-06-2003, 11:32 PM
i am 17 just graduated H.S between me and my dad we maintain about 15 pieces of property as week mostly commerical with a 36" Scag Belt drive. and i am starting work next week as a spray teck for one on the bigest outfit in the area. So hey a average 60hr at least anit bad? ....... Is it

Alex

Scag48
06-06-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm 16, be 17 in August and I service 20 accounts weekly. Started this business 4 years ago mowing for a few people, then the idea caught on and I began to get into the business full time. School has been making things difficult, trying to get all the lawns done during the week so I have time on the weekends for the women, but it's worth it completely. Doing a little landscaping as soon as school gets out, I have a patio to put in and a couple other things to fill up the schedule. So far I have...

-2002 Exmark TTHP 36"
-6X10 open trailer, racks all around
-Stihl FS 85 RT w/edger
-Stihl BR 320 BP blower
-Sithl 024 chainsaw
-2 Toro 21"
-Snapper dethatcher
-'82 GMC diesel 6.2 litre
-Kubota tractor w/rear blade, for the orchard, but I use it for some landscaping jobs
-Crappy 5 HP Yard Machines chipper my dad bought for himself

Keep cuttin'!

dave80
06-07-2003, 12:10 AM
You must learn to spell, if you don't want to learn to spell words correctly, then please use spell check when communicating with customers and other piers around you

Even spell checkers will not catch all mistakes . I believe you meant to say:

You must learn to spell, if you don't want to learn to spell words correctly, then please use spell check when communicating with customers and other PEERS around you.

A pier is used mostly with ships.

stxkyboy
06-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Keep up the good work guys!!!! Im 18 and currently have 10 jobs. These are for what i would consider wealthy individuals (500000-2000000) and keep me very busy. Course the money makes everything worth it. I have also expanded into landscaping this year and just landed a 30k job. It includes grading, major drain work, water feature, about 4 tonnes in boulders, 520 plants, and all other kinds of fun. Unfortantly this will be my last year in the biz as i go to begin my pre med education. The industry has been more than good to me ......Thank You:blob3:

BSDeality
06-07-2003, 01:01 AM
stxkyboy, before the season is up you should talk to some small landscapers about buying your route. Establish a price and offer it to them. It might put some $$ in your pocket for the winter

stxkyboy
06-07-2003, 09:40 PM

brucec32
06-08-2003, 12:54 AM
I've seen flyers put out by college students who are "home to make cash for the summer" by their accounts. I'm curious, do people just hire them as a break in the summer, then do it themselves after they head back to school?

I had a former customer who never called to cancel, but just ignored my renewal letter this spring....call in a panic because her student-mower decided to hang by the pool instead of mow her lawn and she had a party coming up. I didn't even bother to return the call.

How sweet it is!

lawncare3
06-08-2003, 01:01 AM
brucec32,

I hate people like that. :angry: :mad:

I have NEVER hung out by the pool instead of mowing. Work ALWAYS comes BEFORE fun. I can't stand the moron that sees his friend half way to a job and gives up right there. :realmad:

Heron Cove PM
06-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by dave80
Even spell checkers will not catch all mistakes . I believe you meant to say:

You must learn to spell, if you don't want to learn to spell words correctly, then please use spell check when communicating with customers and other PEERS around you.

A pier is used mostly with ships.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/roflmao.gif

Jimmy348
06-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Not for nothing and I applaud those individuals who have accomplished so much in their younger years(16 - 18 yoa). But come on, some of the posts I see are unbelievable. How do you live the life of a teenager, run accounts, keep records, maintain equipment, human resource management, solicit new customers and the list goes on. I mean how does an 18 year old supervise......(ok maybe there is a foreman) but who is in charge of the foreman.
I have been thinking of the next post and what it will look like.

"Hi, I am new to the business and already have over 200 accounts that I cut weekly. I started when I was 10 with an electric mower. Now I am 10 1/2 and I have 6 w/b's and 2 z's. I make lots of money but i will be quitting this month to go to law school. Yes, 10 year olds can get into law school (after all I established 200 accounts in 6 months)."

Un friggin believable. :dizzy:

To those who are being completely honest I wish you the best

lawnkid
06-08-2003, 11:24 PM
jimmy 348, LMAO,

I agree, there's no way some of these guys say they got all these lawns and stuff and riders and blah blah blah. Let's get real here guys, everyone got started somewhere but you don't need to lie. I do 16 lawns a week about 9,000 -15,000 lots and this takes up all my time between all the paperwork and business requirements, school, and soccer. And you guys say you only have 36" walkbehinds doing all that. I got 2 52" hydros (only use the second one, selling the other) and even though I only mow Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, it still is timetaking. If you guys who say you have all this stuff are real, show some pics or your equipment and work. Here's some of my equipment I posted the other day. Look for the thread I posted, it has some of my work on it. Tomorrow I'll take some more equipment pics now that I'm off school.

fblandscape
06-08-2003, 11:36 PM
I am just going to second what Jimmy said. I have personal experience in this and have to say that it is very tough to both be in school, and have a good size company going. I guess though it also depends on what kind of accounts you are working at. 40 little mow and go accounts which are under 5,000 sq ft shouldn't be too bad. However that same number of accounts to cut, and to do all the landscape stuff they ask for is just not possible.

BSDeality
06-08-2003, 11:43 PM
people exaggerate on the internet, ever been to a car fanatic's site? they claim to have 380hp at the wheel on their mighty 4 cylinder, its up to you as the reader if you want to believe it.

anys, here's my schpeel.
just turned 20 this year, started mowing part time when i was 15 and working at a golf course. after quiting the golf course i continued mowing 5 lots a week, it was enough to pay my bills and leave a little change in my pocket. At the time i didn't have any interest in landscaping as a career. Now that i've seen the light and have also seen that there are no IT jobs i'm switching majors and plan on going fully legit as a company asap.

Currently only doing 7 lots, but i can do them all in one day which leaves time for projects and such. 2 lots in particular are rather large (>80k sqft). I seem to be picking up new work every week now. I manage with a 50" gravely WB, Echo BP-750t (this thing rocks), a homelite trimmer (on its death bed after 4 years of abuse), 6x10 trailer and a Jeep CJ7 for a tow rig at the moment.

My "future business plans" include selling my jeep and car and buying a diesel truck and a gravely 260z

Brieldo
06-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Here's some truth for ya:

19 years old
Electrical Engineering Student at Princeton University
2003 Exmark Lazer Z EPS with the new 28hp engine
2000 John Deere 445 with a 22HP Kawi EFI engine
Stihl Hand equipment

Not bad for a "Teenager"...and the great part is the money keeps coming in. For those of you that are busting your butts to make money , I commend you. However, if it's taking away from school, your social lives, or your family, it isnt worth it. My dad once told me that you have all your life to work...dont waste your young years because you never get them back...

Allgreen
06-09-2003, 06:21 PM
I don't know who Jimmy348's post was directed at but i do have a 48" bob-cat, a 21" toro proline, an echo stick edger, an echo back pack blower, and a kawasaki trimmer. I do around 15 accounts on certain weeks because some people want their lawn cut every other week. On the week that i don't do the every other week people i do around 9 a week (i do not do any of their landscaping)... I do all of these lawns on Friday and I might go into Saturday morning if need be. I have my brother help me on my lawns that I do. I also do work with some guy from Monday through Thursday working from 2:30 to usually 6:00 sometimes later. I am having no troubles in school and still go out every Friday night with all of my friends... I just wanted to let you know I was not lying about what i do.

PS-
If I had a digital camera I would post pics of my equipment and work

mottster
06-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Im 18...I was mowin yards before i could drive. Started with an old lawnboy...went through a couple hand me downs and have settled with a 21" John Deere JX75 for right now. Cheap trimmer and blow but all afternoon i have been looking over commercial trimmers.

Most lawns i've had is about 20...8 of them being duplexes. Gave all of them up at the end of last season except for one because I thought I would be going out-of-state for college. Staying at home and attending a Ju-Co about 30 minutes from home. Planning on getting back into it.

Looking into somethin like a 36" WB for right now. But first...commercial trimmer...i can still carry everything i need for mowing with a couple 2x10 ramps in the back of my 85 s-10.

Oh yeah...this year i'm working at a local LCO with 8 employees. My boss just turned 19 a couple weeks ago and graduated highschool this spring. We use 3 20hp Hydro walkers with 2 48" GHS decks, 1 42" GHS deck and 1 54" side discharge deck; 4 commercial snapper 21" mowers and we just attained a nearly new 64" Husqvarna rider....12 MPH! :D

All squeezed into two 16" open trailers and one 20" open trailer. Oh yeah...there's the newh olland skid loader too. 2 diesel F250's and michaels leased 2002 f250 superduty pull it around.

fun times.

grassyfras
06-09-2003, 08:53 PM
i do do about 16 to 20 a yards a week with a 36" mower with a few light landscaping projects. That is very possible for a 16 17 year old. And I dont like being social with too many people my age anymore.

Green in Idaho
06-09-2003, 09:13 PM
That would be the ultimate!

Someone who is 16, works for the fire dept after school and on their days off from responding to fire alarms they mow lawns!

AND they have 3 w/b, 3 riders, and 10 trimmers for their 50 accounts. :dizzy:

Seriously I do applaud the honest youngsters on here who are kicking some grass in staring their own businesses or even just some spending money. Keep on rollin!

Heron Cove PM
06-09-2003, 09:14 PM
I'm not one to knock a guy down (unless he owns a Chevrolet;) JK) but I think any person should chase any dream that they have, make the best of it and I hope they succeed.

I guess my question is, in an industry that is as large as ours, with as many diverse people out there trying to make it, where are you young guys getting your true commercial experience? Don't get me wrong, I mean the up most respect to all of you, but I have been in this industry for God knows how long, held every position from laborer to owner, from residential to commercial and cut everything from a town house to high end, multi-million dollar properties; like the headquarters of Marriott. There is a HECK OF A LOT of stuff that I am still learning; but the one thing that is constant now matter where you fit in the scheme of things, there is a true difference between a professional commercial outfit and a high school kid with a lawn mower. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you guys do great work, but how can you be up to par with the big dogs if you have never worked or learned from one? Just a thought. Best of Luck!

Marshall:confused:

Allgreen
06-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Heron Cove PM,
I got all of my experience from my dad, my dad's side of the family has been in this industry for generations. My dad used to own a rather large LCO in North Carolina, and i used to go out with him and stuff since i was 10. I started to actually cut peoples grass when i lived down their when i was around 12, and being able to use his equipment it was rather easy. Since then I have been working with a smaller LCO but it is still work. I know I have no where as much knowledge about this industry as most of you do, but we all start somewhere.

BSDeality
06-09-2003, 09:40 PM
i grew up around bulldozers, trucks, jeeps, boats, mowers, tractors, you name it, if it had a motor, i'd drive it. As for how I "learned" without ever actually operating with an LCO... I just watched them as they cut houses around me, I made mental notes how they negotiated obstacles and left the best stripes. After i bought my commercial deck the first 5 cuts were all learning days, after then i had it down pretty good. I still learn new tips and tricks everyday by watching LCO's around me. My next big step is doing more landscaping projects and i've learned quite a bit just from searching the countless informative posts here as well as landscape mag's and looking at established companies work.

I don't know whats so hard to understand about doing landscaping, mowing and trimming, the hard part is estimating time/cost's on the fly, until i can get a better grasp on that myself i have to continue to charge by the hour for most jobs (mowing excluded), after i get a feel for it, I hope to be able to just flat-fee it for jobs.

stxkyboy
06-09-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm one of those teenagers that cuts multi-million lots. I tell u the difference between a teenage and the "professionals" The "professionals" are either nonenglish speaking mexicans or some guy who couldnt give a damn about how the yard looks as long as he gets to the next job on time. The teenager (thats moi) takes time to ensure that every cut is perfect. The teenager then gets all the "professionals" jobs. How did i learn.....trial and error....its grass cutting not brain surgery. Some people im sure are exagerating but i think its a lot fewer people than u think

Allgreen
06-09-2003, 10:16 PM
"The "professionals" are either nonenglish speaking mexicans or some guy who couldnt give a damn about how the yard looks as long as he gets to the next job on time. "

Lol....thats a good one stxkyboy:D

stxkyboy
06-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Im completely serious....thats the truth

Allgreen
06-09-2003, 10:23 PM
And thats the sad thing....in most cases it is

Heron Cove PM
06-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by stxkyboy
The "professionals" are either nonenglish speaking mexicans or some guy who couldnt give a damn about how the yard looks as long as he gets to the next job on time.

Easy bro, cool your jets; I wasn't't trying to attack you. Yes, you are absolutely right. There are a lot, however not all professional companies that fit your mold. I would like to think I am an exception to that rule. I don't leave a yard until I AM 210% satisfied with it! I'd bet ya a couple of beers, I would be the most anal retentive person you'll ever meet; and I very much pride myself on professionalism. Oh, sorry I'm not bilingual.

Originally posted by stxkyboy
....its grass cutting not brain surgery.

Yes, once again you are correct. The physical labor part is not brain surgery. After reading my original post, I apologize for my error. I am not just talking about experience cutting grass. I am also talking about experience running a company. Whether its income is $200.00 or $200 million dollars, a business is a business and there is a lot more to running one than just having a degree will afford. I am talking about EVERY aspect of this industry, i.e. scheduling, time constraints, managerial skills, profit & loss margins, on the spot financial decisions, productivity of a crew; be it one man or ten! How about being mature enough to handle a situation (God Forbid) your mower throws a golf ball and beans a 4-year old upside the head 4 yards away? Again, I'm not attacking you individually, but just in general, do you think a 14, 15, 16 year old with a push mower and 2 years experience can make a lot of these decisions on a day to day basis?

Again, I wish you the best of luck!

Marshall

Jimmy348
06-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Allgreen
I don't know who Jimmy348's post was directed at but i do have a 48" bob-cat, a 21" toro proline, an echo stick edger, an echo back pack blower, and a kawasaki trimmer. I do around 15 accounts on certain weeks because some people want their lawn cut every other week. On the week that i don't do the every other week people i do around 9 a week (i do not do any of their landscaping)... I do all of these lawns on Friday and I might go into Saturday morning if need be. I have my brother help me on my lawns that I do. I also do work with some guy from Monday through Thursday working from 2:30 to usually 6:00 sometimes later. I am having no troubles in school and still go out every Friday night with all of my friends... I just wanted to let you know I was not lying about what i do.

PS-
If I had a digital camera I would post pics of my equipment and work

Jeez, I wasn't directing it at anyone. Just having a little fun on a rainy day. Good luck and I wish all of you only the best :D

BSDeality
06-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Heron Cove PM
... I am also talking about experience running a company. Whether its income is $200.00 or $200 million dollars, a business is a business and there is a lot more to running one than just having a degree will afford. I am talking about EVERY aspect of this industry, i.e. scheduling, time constraints, managerial skills, profit & loss margins, on the spot financial decisions, productivity of a crew; be it one man or ten! How about being mature enough to handle a situation ....
Marshall

When i was 15-19 cutting grass none of business side of stuff really mattered, afterall i'm living at home, have no real expenses other than gas, and car insurance there isn't much paperwork/scheduling, i did that when i got home from school, then i'd just go up and say "hey mr. X, you owe me $y for the last 4 cuts i did" every month. After paying off gas/insurance it was all $ in my pocket. I was working part time, 2days a week and making more than some of my friends that were working 6 days a week at gas stations, stores, etc.

Now that i'm looking at turning this into a profession, with insurance, trucks, and a possible employee, things are much different. I've invested in software for bookkeeping and scheduling. I plan on selling my car and jeep for a diesel truck, then as money permits buy a ZTR so i can get some of my larger properties done in a timely fashion.

WPLE
06-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Ever heard of the school of hard knocks? That is where we will learn how to do almost everything. My instructor at college always says "I am only skimming the surface of what there is to know in this business".

That is very true. I learn from mistakes everyday and i do mean everyday. And I will always learn new things until I am to old to sit on that mower or dig holes.

As for the social life issue: Everyone told me about working for the rest of your life to, but while in high school, work often times kept me out of trouble. I did not mind it.

mottster
06-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Well...When i was in the thick of things last summer I could remember all of my houses...when i mowed them and what dates i did them. Not one of my houses i sent a invoice too because I found that customers didn't really care. When I mowed...I would knock on the door...if they weren't home they'd either call and i'd stop by in the next couple days to get the check or i'd just hold it over til next week.

Billing and accounting and all that stuff just wasn't necessary for a 17 yr old with 20 yards.

Now i'm looking for somewhere around 25 accounts. With these 25-ish accounts i will have to have some kind of billing system set up due to the fact that i'm working full time for a local LCO.

From this company and i'm seeing how the "big dawgs" run things. My boss is only 19 but has been able to build his business so much that his dad has been able to quit his work at Boeing and be the head tech guy. He's allowed me to look over all the forms that he uses and we've begun to talk about the licensing and insurance he has. Where he started at with all the paperowkr and where we contacted to get all of this legal jazz.

Of course everyone freeballs when they first start. Unless you have a lot of money saved up...many many people won't...specially us teens....you just cna't afford all the legal processing, licensing and equipment purchasing...so you make due with what you have and mow what you can to save up money to slowly make yourself into a respectable business.

As for professionals and teens actually mowing....either one can do an A+ job and either one can do a shitty job. IMHO professionals are the one who have everything set up in a very orderly manor and represent themselve to each client the same way. Cleancut and wellbehaved. There are people who have thing set up in orderly manor which are not professional as well...there are several factors.

I was never very professional. Only when i first meet a client...but with such few clients and a small mower i spend more time around them then large LCO's would so I become closer to them so you quickly lose your professionalism and you learn to respect them for their each individual traits...not just as another client.

sorry thats long...i'm talkative tonight.

Allgreen
06-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Jimmy348,
I did not think that you were directing it at me, it is just that I am new to this site and do not want to come off as a lier that nobody will every believe within the first month of me being a member:p

Green in Idaho
06-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Heron Cove PM
but just in general, do you think a 14, 15, 16 year old with a push mower and 2 years experience can make a lot of these decisions on a day to day basis? Marshall

From my experience there are a lot of 24, 34, & 44 year olds that do not have the ability to make those decisions.

Look at all the posts on here from the 'adults'. i.e. "I'm 34 and thinking about starting a biz, but I don't know how to price a job..." Does that person have any legitimate experience to warrant them starting their business? No!

I have seen teens (and certainly there are a FEW on this site) who have it together MUCH more than some adults around and on this site.

Regardless of age there are those that will jump into business for a multitude of reasons. A few succeed, most survive, and many fail- that is true of young and aged.

So the question of where does the person get their commercial experience applies to more than just the teens. It applies to EVERYONE. Esp IF you believe it is an important factor to start a business.

mklawnman
06-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Been awhile since I've been on the site and boy how times have changed, a few months back there was a big thread about "Under 18yrs old", boy that got pretty intense, but that was back early in the spring when alot more people were on the site due to not alot of work yet.
I'm now 20, been doing maintenance work for the past 6yrs, but this year was the first year I LLC but this site has been wonderful in helping me along the process. Have about 18accounts we maintain all rangin from apartment complexes, homes, commercial and subdivisions. We've been now doing more landscaping work as well, with my brother workin with me he's 18. I have plenty of work for the summer and always lookin for more. I already feel like im not some scrub anymore with having all the right legal stuff behind me along with the insurance which is a big thing you guys need to have. But another thing you need is motivation to get up and go out and mow or do landscape work, and to strive to do the best job possible at a price that will cover your cost plus your labor. Gotta make sure your covered otherwise you won't be successful.
My advice to young guys out there who want to be successful in this business is to make sure you have a balance and not to over done in the business end yet if your in HS, still gotta be a teenager and have a social life.
I dont know everything yet and im only 20, still learning but from doing this for 6yrs now in my teen years theirs somethings you just gotta still have, which is a social life and not work so much, cause you can work the rest of your lives :cool:
Take care all you guys and good luck
Matt

TaussigLawnCare
06-12-2003, 01:13 AM
I am 18 and I do believe I am a professional. My business is probably in the top ten in my town and at this rate of increace I will be at the top in 6 years. I am insured and I had a licensed employee but he went home for the summer and I am working in being licensed myself right now(not much of a book worm). I have full commercial equipment and I mow a mean yard lol and am also doing some landscaping and firewood in my free time aka rain days. Social life I do have one last year when I didn't have adequate equipment I worked dawn to dark but now that I do I get done alot faster and always have to make time for my woman.

s&wlawncare
06-12-2003, 06:08 PM
I am 18 years old, and have been in the buisness for 3 1/2 years now. I now have 1 church 26 residential and 2 commercial accounts. This is a great buisness for someone my age because its hard to find a job that pays this good. You can flip burgers for $5.15/hour, or you can work a little harder cutting grass and get about $50 an hour

-95 chevy silverado ext cab
-2003 walker model t
-2002 john deere sst 18
-2 stihl fs 85's
- 1 stihl br320 blower
- 1 stihl hs45 hedge trimmers
- 1 stihl farm boss chainsaw
- 1 mtd commercial edger
:)

FrankenScagMachines
06-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Welcome S&W!

CMLLawnServices
06-12-2003, 09:48 PM
I`m 16 and Run a 99 airens ZTR ( same as older gravley promasters) 48" - Stihl fs 55 trimmer - stihl handheld blower- poulan hand held blower- 6.6X 10 landscape trailer- s/p yard works 21" mulch/bagger/discharge ( canadian company ) i pull it with my dads 2002 GMC sierra stepside 4.8l V-8 270 hp 285 foot#s of tourque , auto with trailering package, and sony CD deck. and my winter business i have a 69 cockshutt 1550 tractor with 7 foot mckee blower and 6 foot box scraper, bush hog when needed and a husquvarna 410 saw, and pioneer p 51 saw. and a 6 foot baseball diamond drag.
I have 3 balldiamonds , 5 intown residentals and 4 rural propertys all over 3 acres. plus 6 yearly snow removal contracts so far . I love this work , i like being outside and running machines and the pay is great. Like some one said I also keep friday open for the guys and saturday and sunday for the girlfriend. latley it been friday saturday and sunday
:rolleyes: I snowmobile, snocross, skateboard , golf, hunt, play hockey( just the beer legues now) play competitve roller hockey and shoot competitve archery. when i`m not working but its been hard finding time for everything latly.

CMLLawnServices
06-12-2003, 09:50 PM
I forgot to mention that i have 2 million in liability on my stuff.

FrankenScagMachines
06-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Your $2 million is probably equal to my $1 million policy after the exchange rate right?

AVRECON
06-13-2003, 12:54 AM
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/observer/news/local/states/north_carolina/counties/catawba/6060409.htm

CMLLawnServices
06-13-2003, 09:56 AM
BHB its 1.4 million with the exchange rate now

brucec32
06-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Reading some of the posts, I came up with some thoughts....

1. I'm still waiting to hear how student mowers handle customers when they go back to school. Around here I'm mowing March-Dec, summer break only lasts 3 months.

2. I mowed grass when I was in high school. Including the occasional "independent" job for someone who needed a lawn mowed. But mostly it was for my Dad's business from time to time. But I was no expert and didn't pass myself off as one. I learned by working for a guy who did it part time and observing his mistakes and gaining practical expertise about mowing that helped me jump in w/o looking like a total no-nothing.

What occurs to me is how few people seem willing to put in at least a few months even of working for someone else and learning the ropes before setting up a lawncare biz and running out to get customers. Yes, it's not brain surgery. But it sure isn't easy enough to be able to hop onto a lawn with a commercial mower and do a great job consistently if you've never done it before. Looking back, I see I was still doing some things "wrong" even after a couple of years. Are too many people not "learning the ropes" before going out on their own? The idea of serving an apprenticeship in a trade seems to be diminishing in all fields in recent years.

I think that if someone thinks "it's easy, anyone can do it" about mowing lawns, they're likely not doing it well or efficiently. Yes, any clown can push a 21" homeowner mower around, or ride in circles on a lawn tractor, but I think you'd need a few weeks/months of practice to do it right consistently. Obviously, from the comments we all hear from new customers, it isn't that easy, or they WOULD be doing it right and we wouldn't be hired to replace the last guy who messed it up.

WPLE
06-13-2003, 07:49 PM
I try not to get to many accounts to handle during school. But I am in college and have a lot more time than the guys in high school. I just put off all the other jobs until summer. Only one more year of that.

NNJLandman
06-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Green Idaho, I am on my local FD. I'm 16 and have about 12 Lawn Service accounts and I do landscape, mulching, shrub trimming etc. Sense I'm 16 I can't do much. I respond to fires and help out as much as i can. I have turnout gear and all. I usually run lines and get equipment out.

pyrocare
06-13-2003, 11:51 PM
I am 18 now but 2 years ago when I was 16 I had bought my first Walker mower it was the Model C with a 42" GHS deck. I did about 25 to 30 accounts a week. Last year when I was 17 I traded in the Model C for a Model T with the 26 hp EFI and a 48" GHS deck and a 54" discharge deck. Last year also in September right after i had turned 18 I bought out another company and now I run 2 Walkers the 26 hp EFI and a 20 hp both have a 48" GHS deck and a 54" discharge deck. Now I also do about 60 to 65 weekly accounts and have an employee.

I also do about 28 lawn application account that I do 4 times per year.

I think that it is great your getting a start early.

dlandscaping
06-13-2003, 11:58 PM
I am 17 and my brother and I run a lawn biz. He is 15. We just took delivery of our new 2003 f350 supercab xlt 6.0psd. For equipment we have a 36 toro, 2 21 commercial 2cycle toros, a honda commercial push, a john deere 21, lesco spreader, solo backpack, 2 stihl 420's, a kawaski 26l trimmer, an echo 2601pas with trimmer edger and hedge trimmer, a stihl hs45 trimmer, a bluebird aerator, a bluebird dethatcher, a 46" jrco, a billygoat 10hsp wheeled blower, a 6.5-12' trailer and numerous handtools.
During the winter we run 2 2stroke 21 blowers, 3 two stroke toros, a commercial ariens 13-32, an ariens 8-24 and a sears 10-30. We currently handle about 25 residential customers a week. We have been working for 3yrs and hope to add new mowers and a plow soon.

Green in Idaho
06-14-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by NNJLandman
Green Idaho, I am on my local FD. I'm 16 and have about 12 Lawn Service accounts and I do landscape, mulching, shrub trimming etc. Sense I'm 16 I can't do much. I respond to fires and help out as much as i can. I have turnout gear and all. I usually run lines and get equipment out.

You DA MAN!!!!! Go get em!

Green in Idaho
06-14-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by dlandscaping
I am 17 and my brother and I run a lawn biz. He is 15. We just took delivery of our new 2003 f350 supercab xlt 6.0psd.

Now THAT is funny. "We" ?? It would appear you have forgotten to mention the third wheel in your operation.....

dlandscaping
06-15-2003, 10:58 PM
We=he and I or the business being referred as a third wheel
its my truck
whats ur rig look like?

ffemt1271
06-15-2003, 11:58 PM
i'm a lawn cutting fireman! was with local fd. for 3 yrs then went to big city.(more $$) but the ties to the small town sore helped my biz start out fast.. 25 accounts 2nd month in operation. and no i'm not a teenager .

TaussigLawnCare
06-16-2003, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by brucec32
[B]Reading some of the posts, I came up with some thoughts....

1. I'm still waiting to hear how student mowers handle customers when they go back to school. Around here I'm mowing March-Dec, summer break only lasts 3 months.

2. I mowed grass when I was in high school. Including the occasional "independent" job for someone who needed a lawn mowed. But mostly it was for my Dad's business from time to time. But I was no expert and didn't pass myself off as one. I learned by working for a guy who did it part time and observing his mistakes and gaining practical expertise about mowing that helped me jump in w/o looking like a total no-nothing.QUOTE]

1 I was homeschooling so I did school nights weekends lunch breaks and so on.

2 Do you know how hard it is for a 15 16 17 year old to get a job for a mowing company can be done but with my driving record it was impossible. I tried I applied at nearly every large company in town and no interviews they all want perfect driving records and 18 years old. So I started on my own(Just on a larger scale I always had a few) and learned everything the hard way and boy did I learn

Look at me now I am one of the larger company's in town and almost making more money then my old man at age 18

RandyRhoads
06-23-2003, 03:25 AM
hey i just stumbled acrost this thread looking for what younger kids are doing (being one myself). this is pretty cool to learn all this stuff about mowers and everything

For me though, I am currently 14 3/4. I have been mowing lawns ever since a long time ago when my dad taught me how to do it since he moved out because he was an alcoholic so i had to do the yard work around the house (I was about 7,8,9 then, i really can't remember exactly when) I was always doing my own yard and a neighbors just down the street and that was it. But we recently moved out to Woodbury from St. Paul MN and now i have one other customer plus mine and the one in St. Paul. I carry all of my equipment in the back of my mom's Voyager and thats the only way i can get around.:D I can't wait till i get a license though then i can get a trailer and stuff. But right now i currently own a early 90's Honda Masters 19 inch 4 hrs. thing, a brand new Toro Recycler Personal Pace w/electric start (oh yeah baby forget pulling:cool: ) and get this, a 1977 Wheel Horse A-60 Electric Horse. I actually use the Wheel Horse but only on my lawn since i don't have a tralier and the toro.
I have to use the 22" for everything except my lawn which stinks because even with the rider, i could get lawns done faster. My client in town takes about an hour and 15 mins w/ trimming and blowing. Though i haven't quite figured out how to use the blade edger attachment for the John Deere quick connect (oops forgot that) with straight shaft trimmer/brushcutter, blower, and edger, so i don't use that much i just like to get that string nice and close to the pavement.
Jeez am i writing too much?:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
But i would like to know what people here think would be a good addition or to point me to some good threads on making businedss, like some good ways to get to people through friends and church and family and stuff, i've tried searching but i don't usually get very good resuslts if they have anything to do with the topic. But one thing is for sure, i don't like brochures, also, how in the world can you tell what size a lawn is just by looking at it????!!!!:confused: :confused: Well anyways sorry to keep you up with this large post and off to bed now.

lawnranger44
06-24-2003, 09:38 PM
RandyRhoads,

welcome to lawnsite!!!

this place is awesome and you will learn a lot of stuff. i am 15 years old and my brother is 17. as you get more customers you will get a "feel" for quoting lawns. in the beginning, ask the customer if you can mow it once first and then give them a quote. when you mow it time how long it takes and then charge by the hour. maybe you want to charge 25/hour or 50/hour, whatever you want to. try to go on the lower side in the beginning so you can get a customer base and make some money.

you'll get better at pricing as time goes by.

good luck and if you have anymore questions, just ask :)

Wade

RandyRhoads
06-24-2003, 10:07 PM
ok thats cool, thanks

studentlawn
06-24-2003, 11:29 PM
I also am amazed by what some of these teens have. Im 18, have a partner, 36 lawns, weekly landscaping. Ive been keeping doing all he facets it takes to run a lawn service and I can say it took getting up at 5 o clock in the morning and going to bed around midnight for the last month of school. Our equipment sucks. 5x7 wood box trailer, craftsman 6horse , 2 commericlal 5 horse mtds. And homeowner blower and and trimmer, except for our newly purchased echo smr240. But anyhow im finding out its going to take a $20,000 loan which we are gettting approved for on thursday to really expand our business. All these teens with 8,000 mowers given to them by their parents are lucky, really friggen lucky.

CMLLawnServices
06-24-2003, 11:40 PM
they did`t give me my ztr i financed it through them intrest free.
and its all paid off

RandyRhoads
06-25-2003, 12:48 AM
hey CMLLawnServices, what kind of ZTR do you have, isn't that one of those Zero Turn things from Toro or Exmark? anyways, how many lawns did you have going when you got it and what do you mean by finance, is that one of those payment plans where you pay so much every month and in like 12 or 24 months you have it paid off?

And StudentLawn, i've paid off everything that my parents have purchased except for the toro recycler mower, i have about 320 saved up right now and am hoping to find some more business so i can have more income and then i can pay off the toro and maybe try to buy a new walk-behind. But anyways, most of the stuff i have was not free. The Wheel Horse is not exactly in picture perfect shape. Though it still mows, it was an old thing that was taking up space in my grandpa's garage and he got an old snapper which is better for cutting brush and really thick grass which he uses it for and i said that i would like to take it home and use it and he was cool with that, so my equipment might sound kinda nice, and in fact it is and it works. I'm not gonna say bad stuff about what the Lord has provided me but its not like my parents just buy stuff for me. You should take a look at the eXmark website, there is this place for feedback and stuff, and there is a bunch of kids in there whose parents just go and buy em' 60 Laser z's and stuff. It makes me so mad.

Kingbman1
07-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Im 16 and my friend and I started up a business this spring. We spent 800 dollars but we came away with alot of equipment by shopping around.

Our equipment is:

Two 21 inch mowers
One 32 inch toro proline
two trimmers
gas blower
4 x 8 utility trailer

All the equipment fits on the trailer perfectly and we have a succesful business without spending thousands on a trailer and equipmet. Grant it the 21 inchers were donated, same with the trimmers. But getting a 32 inch toro proline for $600, boy someone call the police cuz thats just robbery.

So anyone can start a lawn business, but its the nice work that keeps you in the business.

Kingbman STL,MO

:drinkup:

dvmcmrhp52
07-12-2003, 11:24 PM
does my heart good to see there are still young people somewhere that are not looking for a free ride!!

BEST of luck to all of you keep up the good work and you will be rewarded.

C.T. Lawn Care
07-13-2003, 12:02 AM
I am 16 and have been mowing for about 4 years. I have about 20 accounts 2 commercial. i have a 62" toro z master, a 36" bunton walk-behind, and sthil 2cycle products. I also have a plow for my truck. in the winter and in the summer i team up sometimes with a local business owner (same business) and he helps me out and i help him out. I juggle school, marching band, and my business. Yes sometimes it does get tough but those are the times where you have got to say "no, sorry i cant hang with you sorry go to the movies i have work that needs to be done. Maybe some other time." It's not that hard. And when it gets really busy then i have a helper that will help me. I enjoy running my business and will continue to till i retire!!!

NCSULandscaper
07-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by studentlawn
All these teens with 8,000 mowers given to them by their parents are lucky, really friggen lucky.

I worked my a** off to buy all my equipment. I just turned 20 when i started my business and i started off with a ztr, ford ranger, and 5x8 trailer and the cheap 2 cycle stuff. 2 years later i just bought a new Ford F250, 16ft tandom trailer, upgraded ALL the equipment, and added a second crew. It took alot of hard work, but that is the key to have a sucessful business. In 2 years i have grown by nearly 300% which is due to dedication, long hours everyday, and good customer relations. Good luck to all the newcomers out there.

WPLE
07-13-2003, 02:25 AM
im finding out its going to take a $20,000 loan

Man, it will not take that much to upgrade, unless you want all new equipment and a used vehicle. I am 20 and one thing i have learned in the past 6 years is not to do to much at once, save up some dough and get a small loan. Buy a ztr (JD) and then use the money you make with that to buy your small stuff over a couple months. just did that same thing over the winter. Now my truck is the only thing left to upgrade (next year).

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Hi guys! Today is the start of my two week vacation! woo hoo!!
Anyway, I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to talk about how I got started..

I'm currently 16, started at age 12. I guess I started the same way as everyone else. One push mower, taking a couple residential lawns on my street. I had 43 mowing accounts last year and had my dad drive me around. This year, because I got my license, I was really able to expand and do a large advertising campaign...

But anyway, here is my equipment list...

My updated total number of lawns as of July 13th, 2003 stands at 128...

I started a third crew and am also sub-contracting a local company if we get behind.

Major Equipment is as follows:

(1) 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac w/ Boss Plow 4x4
(1) 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4
(1) 1997 Ford F-250 w/ Fischer Plow 4x4
(1) 1995 Ford Ranger Splash (my personal vehicle)
(1) 1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4
(1) 6.5'x14' Landscape Trailer w/ racks
(1) 6'x12' Landscape Trailer w/ racks
(1) 5'x8' Landscape Trailer w/ hydro dump lift
(1) Kubota B2410HSD 4x4 Tractor (currently on 36 month financing plan)
(1) 2002 54" Lesco Z-Two Rider 23hp
(1) 2003 52" Lesco Hydro WB
(1) 2003 48" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 2002 48" Lesco Hydro WB
(1) 2001 48" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 1998 48" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 1998 48" Kees Belt WB
(1) 2003 36" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 2001 36" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 1999 36" Lesco Belt WB
(5) 1999-2003 Toro 3-in-1 Recycler mowers 6.5hp
(7) Echo SRM-2100 String Trimmers
(5) Echo PB-403 Backpack Blowers
(2) Echo PB-200 Handheld Blowers
(4) Echo HC-1500 Hedge Trimmers
(1) Echo HCR-1500 Hedge Trimmer (rotating handle)
(2) Echo CS-300 Chain Saw
(1) Husqvarna 351XL Chain Saw
(1) Lesco 4hp 26" Aerator
(1) JRCO Front Mount Tine Rake Dethatcher
(1) Lesco 5hp Renovator
(1) Honda FG100 Tiller
(5) 6 cuft wheelbarrows
(2) 3 cuft wheelbarrows
(3) Lesco Walk-Behind Spreaders
2100sqft. shop w/ bays and office space...

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Here's a few pictures of my trucks...

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 09:57 AM
1991 Toyota Pickup w/ 6x12 trailer and equipment..

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 09:59 AM
2003 Ford Ranger Edge

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 10:02 AM
1995 Ford Ranger Splash (my baby!)

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 10:07 AM
FYI, I'm having the trucks lettered this fall.. No time to bring them in right now...

battags
07-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by qualitylandscaping
Hi guys! Today is the start of my two week vacation! woo hoo!!
Anyway, I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to talk about how I got started..

I'm currently 16, started at age 12. I guess I started the same way as everyone else. One push mower, taking a couple residential lawns on my street. I had 43 mowing accounts last year and had my dad drive me around. This year, because I got my license, I was really able to expand and do a large advertising campaign...

But anyway, here is my equipment list...

My updated total number of lawns as of July 13th, 2003 stands at 128...

I started a third crew and am also sub-contracting a local company if we get behind.

Major Equipment is as follows:

(1) 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac w/ Boss Plow 4x4
(1) 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4
(1) 1997 Ford F-250 w/ Fischer Plow 4x4
(1) 1995 Ford Ranger Splash (my personal vehicle)
(1) 1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4
(1) 6.5'x14' Landscape Trailer w/ racks
(1) 6'x12' Landscape Trailer w/ racks
(1) 5'x8' Landscape Trailer w/ hydro dump lift
(1) Kubota B2410HSD 4x4 Tractor (currently on 36 month financing plan)
(1) 2002 54" Lesco Z-Two Rider 23hp
(1) 2003 52" Lesco Hydro WB
(1) 2003 48" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 2002 48" Lesco Hydro WB
(1) 2001 48" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 1998 48" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 1998 48" Kees Belt WB
(1) 2003 36" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 2001 36" Lesco Belt WB
(1) 1999 36" Lesco Belt WB
(5) 1999-2003 Toro 3-in-1 Recycler mowers 6.5hp
(7) Echo SRM-2100 String Trimmers
(5) Echo PB-403 Backpack Blowers
(2) Echo PB-200 Handheld Blowers
(4) Echo HC-1500 Hedge Trimmers
(1) Echo HCR-1500 Hedge Trimmer (rotating handle)
(2) Echo CS-300 Chain Saw
(1) Husqvarna 351XL Chain Saw
(1) Lesco 4hp 26" Aerator
(1) JRCO Front Mount Tine Rake Dethatcher
(1) Lesco 5hp Renovator
(1) Honda FG100 Tiller
(5) 6 cuft wheelbarrows
(2) 3 cuft wheelbarrows
(3) Lesco Walk-Behind Spreaders
2100sqft. shop w/ bays and office space...

Does anybody else want to call him out on this one?:rolleyes:

battags
07-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Actually, I'll retract that statement if you can supply a pic with ALL of those vehicles in it, with some more of your long list of equipment. So far, you have only proven to own a digital camera and a magnetic door sign. I wonder if the owners of those LCO's would mind you taking pic's of thier stuff?

Prove me wrong and I digress!

B

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Here, I have pictures with the trucks together...... Only two would fit in the frame so its two pictures but at least it proves...

I'll take pictures of the mowers, etc. today... Need to take everything out of the shop b/c the pictures don't show up good when taken in the shop..

This one is the Toyota and the Sport Trac

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Ranger Splash and Ranger Edge

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 11:44 AM
battags,

I may not post much on this forum but I am the top poster on ***********

Even though I am 16, I know A LOT about this business and am very successful.

Go ask anyone from *********, they will tell you I know my stuff and do good work, and I'm not lying about anything.....

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 11:52 AM
48" Kees and 21" Toro on 12' trailer...

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 11:55 AM
42" Deere on Trailer shown in the picture w/ the Toyota above... I didn't put it on the equipment list, b/c it doesn't get used much...

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 11:59 AM
1998 48" Lesco WB w/ discharge chute

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 12:08 PM
2002 48" Lesco WB w/ steel bagger

myoder
07-13-2003, 12:37 PM
So which equipment is yours? The Toyota and John Deere Tractor...

128 accounts and no employees, 5 trucks. 2100 sq ft garage, 11 mowers...

Sounds a little unrealistic!!!

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 01:42 PM
First of all Mr. myoder, I started a third crew and am also sub-contracting a local company if we get behind. .. Five full time employees during the summer.

The Sport Trac is my dad's and we are 50/50 paying on the Edge, but the other 3 are 100% mine...

The 11 mowers is temporary.. I'm beginning to phase out the "unwanted older equipment" and bring in the new stuff... A few of those mowers don't even run anymore, but I still have them..

I'm sharing the Kubota w/ a friend of mine in this business.. We have a large mulch and topsoil dump site and use the tractor to load the materials into the trailers.. He has been using the tractor to do dig residential irrigation lines.. Again, we split the 36-month financing payments 50/50...

Chris Wagner
07-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by IndyPropertyCare
OK, it has been said before.. and I will say it again. There is a button below that says "spell check ".... students !!!!! listen up. You must learn to spell, if you don't want to learn to spell words correctly, then please use spell check when communicating with customers and other piers around you. This is not directed at everyone, those who know...know who they are.

Must be pretty strange talking to a "pier". Let me know if it ever talks back... I bet your peers would be intrigued as well.

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm an AP English student and there are several grammatical errors in your post, sir INDYPROPERTYCARE...

This is how your post should look to be "gramatically correct".

POSTED BY: INDYPROPERTYCARE
Ok, it has been said before, and I will say it again. There is a button below that says "spell check ". Students! Listen up. You must learn to spell. If you don't want to learn to spell words correctly, please use spell check when communicating with customers and other peers around you. This is not directed at everyone, but those of you who misspell know who you are.

NNJLandman
07-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Do you go to school or did u drop out....sounds like you have your hands full! I just can't believe ur only 16. I'm 16 and only have like 5 pieces or equipment and just a couple accounts.

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 04:30 PM
NNJ,

I'm in a co-op program that allows me to leave school after a 1/2 day. The other students in the program go to work at another business as an intern, but I convinced the school board to let me leave and work at my own business. I go to school from 6:30am until 10:30am, 4 days a week.. I'm still taking 6 classes which will keep up with the graduation requirements. I also get 1 credit for every 100 hours I work.. So for me, I get 1 credit every week and a half to two weeks.

Its hard to find time to do all of this work and I do work Saturdays and Sundays, but I wouldn't trade it for anything:)

lgi
07-13-2003, 07:12 PM
im 18 with 80 accounts. i have two men who work for me. i have 4 greatdane 52in ,3 stihl weedeaters,2 JD pushmower, 2 JD backpack blowers, 2 trucks ,and everything else. i miss school alot do to so much work but i love doing it

Krois Landscaping
07-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by battags
Does anybody else want to call him out on this one?:rolleyes:

I'm 18 and i think this sounds a little fishy. One of my best friends has a 52" Scag Tiger Cub, a 52" scag hydro walk behind and he only services like 50 accounts and it takes him a long time to do those. That is with 2 employees. He's 18 also and is doing lawns/landscaping full time.

I'm still having a hard time believing a 16 year old kid who still is in school (even part time) completing these yards.

:dizzy:

quality landscaping- i'd love to know how you cut all these lawns. What trucks do the employees drive? i only see the toyota w/ a trailer.

proenterprises
07-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Quality Landscaping, You wouldnt happen to make snow as well do you. This is a serious question.

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Krois,

HELLO!!!! The employees drive the OTHER trucks.. One crew of 2 in the Ranger Edge, one crew of 2 in the Toyota, my foreman drives his personal vehicle (Trailblazer), and I usually drive the other Ranger..

LandscapeEscape,

As a matter of fact, yes I DID make snow back in the day.. Never really got anywhere with the snow or the hill... I eventually gave up and realized I was wasting my time, and flooding my basement too much:rolleyes:

Krois Landscaping
07-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Krois,

HELLO!!!! The employees drive the OTHER trucks.. One crew of 2 in the Ranger Edge, one crew of 2 in the Toyota, my foreman drives his personal vehicle (Trailblazer), and I usually drive the other Ranger..

LandscapeEscape,

As a matter of fact, yes I DID make snow back in the day.. Never really got anywhere with the snow or the hill... I eventually gave up and realized I was wasting my time, and flooding my basement too much:rolleyes:

I'd love to hear what company would insure a 16 year old w/ 3 vehicles, trailers, etc :dizzy:

I'm sure it's all in your parents names anyway.

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 09:34 PM
It's all insured through Allstate..

I'm paying for insurance out my ----- but I'm making enough, it really doesn't bother me. Monthly payment for insurance is $493.28...

My parents wouldn't put anything in their name... The only thing with either of their names on it is my DBA, which has my dad listed as a partner b/c I have to be 18 to have a legal DBA in only my name...

CMLLawnServices
07-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Randy:
it is a toro/ exmark style, i listed all about it in my post on the forth page, I`m gonna have to get some pics, of all my stuff, my digital camera is all screwed up , there is a clean 230 pic card in it but it says that there is only one pic left. i`ll try to post some pics.
since then I have added a husquvarna LTH 130 hydro lawn tractor to my equipment , mostly as a back up mower and for the occasional helper. it also comes in handy for dragging ball diamonds that are too wet to put the truck on. I bought it off a customer for 200 bucks and it is in real good condition. I`ve also picked up a few more accounts.

proenterprises
07-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Steve

Now I know who you are. I remember you were from Rochester, NY and had a hill called PINE HILL.

You used to belong to the YAHOO snowmaking club before enough people finally proved you illegitament and you left. I remember you always throwing out things which you could not prove and boasting unrealistic as well as illogical figures and everyone on the site caught you and flamed you off.

You did quite a large share of BS ing back in the days of snow and I sure hope that you are not BS ing us all on your "enormous" landscaping empire.

What you claim to have if it is indeed 100% true and factual would be quite a signifigant accomplishment and I sure hope that your not leading us on to nothing but a tall tale because thats exactlly what you did on the YAHOO snow site.

mklawnman
07-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Qualitylandscaping
I'm 20 right now and I guess i can believe you about all that equipment you have and all of your accounts, considering theres lots of teens mowing out there and this thread has shown that. Because if you were lying alot of people would be up your butt like they kinda are already. It may seem far fetch to alot of us on here that a 16yr old has 122 some accounts when I only have 20 accounts so far. Unless your accounts are very small which then I can see why you need that many to pay for all your over head. But it does seem to be alot for a 16yr old, especially with all that over head or so it seems, and trying to juggle school too. Make sure you have a social life too. YOu can work the rest of your life, enjoy teenhood before its overwith.
My next question is, if you have that many accounts, why not sell the little toy trucks and buy something that is bigger and is made to handle pulling a trailer day in and day out, considering all those trucks you have you can easily sell a few off and buy maybe two full size ones. And a commercial mower instead of the JD lawn tractor. :P I started off with a Ranger and I will never go back to using it for my business, just for my personal truck now, considering I have my dumper now.
THe other thought I have is, you say you are doing shared payments on this stuff, that seems to scare me, and you must have a good relationship with them to trust that they will pay up and be held responsible.
At 16 you dont know everything in the business yet, and you wont till the day you retire, so just be cool about it all.
Matt

qualitylandscaping
07-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Landscape Escape,

Ya, I remember those days.. I used to be what I guess you would call a "go getter".. I started skiing at age 4, and really liked it.. I got into racing at age 10 and have always been fascinated by snowmaking technology. I saw what the resorts did around here and wanted to do the same thing. I quickly realized that it takes alot of money to own those resorts and I didn't have a chance in the world to do it... I really wanted to live up w/ the big guys so I exagerated how much snow I made, because I felt bad due to lack of money to do anything to keep up w/ the bigger guys.

I'm definiently not doing that w/ my lawn care business. Cuttin grass in the summer and crankin snow in the winter has been a dream for as long as I can remember.

MKLAWNMAN,

I don't know why you only have 20 accounts... It could be one or many different things... You don't advertise enough, you don't perform quality work, you have alot of competition, there isn't a large demand for landscaping work, etc...
There are only about 10 companies in my county that are bigger than me.. There are a total of about 100 companies around here, but most are PT'ers..
There is a very high demand for lawn care work around here. New subdivisions going in all the time! I stand out above the rest by showing up on time to give estimates and to do work. I am professional and I know what I am talking about. My prices aren't as high as some of the pro's but I'm definiently not at a level of scrub pricing.. Don't drop gate for under $20.. All hourly rates start at $30 w/ one crew member. I know some of the big companies charge $70+ per hour, but I don't see the need to charge that much...

Being a teen around here basically means getting drunk and high every night, all summer... I've never smoked and never done drugs and I don't plan on it... So instead of hanging out w/ the few "non illegal substance user" friends that I have; I usually spend my free time with my girlfriend.

On to the trucks.. I keep buying smaller trucks because like you mentioned before, I can't get insurance on larger vehicles.. I think they would give me insurance for them, but my payments would be like $2000 a month..

The LCO I'm sharing equipment with has been a long time friend of my family. He works for my dad at Kodak, and does irrigation/landscaping work part-time. So, I trust him to keep up with the payments.

I know I don't know everything about this business yet, but I definiently know a lot. Even more than most of you might think.

battags
07-13-2003, 11:37 PM
battags,

I may not post much on this forum but I am the top poster on ***********

Even though I am 16, I know A LOT about this business and am very successful.

Go ask anyone from *********, they will tell you I know my stuff and do good work, and I'm not lying about anything.....

If your successful, why even bother visiting another forum? If you were successful, you would realize that this is the ONLY forum that a SUCCESSFUL LCO would truly visit! Then again, if this site keeps becoming inundated with liars and 'wannabes' I can see the pros going elsewhere.

Why list 38 pieces of equipment that you use? Really, I don't understand why anyone really posts all the stuff they have. Let your work speak for itself. It doesn't make me feel like more of a professional by what's on my trailer. What does it for me is pulling away from a KILLER looking lawn when I'm done and cashing my checks!

battags
07-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Ranger Splash and Ranger Edge

How about some pictures from the same day? Or even the same time of year? Where did all the leaves on the tree behind your house go? The second pic, that tree is full of leaves!

I want to see ALL of your equipment listed in the SAME picture! Heck, even half would suffice!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not only sick of you, I'm sick of the others on this site who are full of it too! All of you, knock it off!

Now I'm pissed at myself for wasting my time with the likes of you! ARGH!!!:angry:

NCSULandscaper
07-14-2003, 12:04 AM

I know I don't know everything about this business yet, but I definiently know a lot. Even more than most of you might think.

I think the only thing you know is how to make up a story. If you keep with that cocky attitude you will not be in business long at all. Like ive been told, if you sit there and keep your mouth shut sometimes you might just learn something.

emil35
07-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Hello,

I have just turned 15, and have been mowing lawns since I was 10. Currently I have 5 residental accounts and 10 commercial accounts. As for equipment I own quite a bit of it;
-1999 Chevy 3500 Crew-Cab
- Walker 26 HP with a 48in deck and large hopper
- 18 ft open trailer
- 10 ft open trailer
- 2 toro proline 21 inch walkbehind mowers
- Gravely Pro 300 36" with a 20 HP
- Tru-Cut Edger
- Gravely Two-Wheel Tractor with many attachments
- 2 Echo Trimmers
- 2 Echo Blowers
- Echo hedgetrimmer
- Stump Grinder
- Mighy Mac Truck Blower
- Might Mac Sprayer System
- Power Washer
- Plus other smaller pieces equipment.

I will be going into the tenth grade this next schoolyear. I play sports year-round, have a 4.0 GPA, and i'm a few steps away from beening an Eagle Scout. I will also be purchasing another 26HP Walker and a Dump Truck later this year. Yes it is difficult to do, but it pays well, and it will be something I can fall back on when I'm older and out of college. Also all of the above equipment is owned by me, in my name. I carry contractors insurance, and commerical insurance on my truck. However I must say, your on the right track, and keep it up! You never know where it might take you.

Emil Motycka
Emil's Lawn Service
Longmont, Colorado

SLS
07-14-2003, 04:12 AM
What a thread! :D

qualitylandscaping
07-14-2003, 08:53 AM
I know that I'm not lying and I think you guys are just jealous because I'm getting somewhere in life.

To question me is ok, but to outright harass me without even knowing who I am is bs...

My shop is always open, feel free to stop by and take a look....

4192 Rush-Mendon Road, Rush NY

Just because I'm 16, doesn't mean I can't be successful.. I know, I know, all adults think teenagers are trash these days..

All of you can go back to your little crapsman mowers and station wagons, because I have a business to run.....:mad:

NCSULandscaper
07-14-2003, 01:01 PM
I think everyone will appologize to you if you just take a picture of everything you have. Until then not many people will believe you. Im not tryin to bash you but too many people get on here and brag about stuff they dont have and everyone is getting sick of it.

Scraper
07-14-2003, 02:09 PM
As an old Alice Cooper song goes...."School's out for summer....."

What happens to all the accounts in the Fall when you have to be back in school?

qualitylandscaping
07-14-2003, 02:38 PM
scraper,

I don't think you read this whole thread b/c I already answered that question... I go to school 1/2 day, only 4 days per week... I have two 2003 graduates that are working for me, so they will be able to keep the same hours... I will be working 11-8 instead of 7-5.. The other three guys will be working about the same hours as me.. And we will be working weekends, still....

Pictures to come soon... I haven't been out to the shop since Friday since I'm trying to get ready for vacation (writing invoices, packing, paying bills, etc).....

FrankenScagMachines
07-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Didja get my email Steve?

See ya soon bud ;) :)

Scraper
07-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Ummm...Quality...was my post directed at you?

Please...do you really think I'd waste my time reading this entire thread? LOL

myoder
07-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Hey emil35
How are do you have to be to drive where you live? :confused:

mklawnman
07-14-2003, 06:05 PM
This was my first year advertising, but i also go to school in the fall and spring so I keep a balance and also have plenty of landscape work, so its 2 full days of mowing, and they are pretty good size properties too so they are good money for my age I think and I know I can get more in the future. Im just slowly building up and not taking on a ton of work that I cant handle yet, considering Im trying to finish school up in a year so I can go full time all year long, cause when school starts I usuallly just do lawn mowin and cleanups.
I wouldnt say everyone on here is jelious, I just think the way you came off when you first posted made you have an aditude towards everyone else.
Thats great if you have that many accounts so far at your age, but yet you gotta remember you have the rest of your life to work, dont get too caught up in your business yet, finish up school and get some type of college degree in ya and work your butt off after that.
But i agree get all your equipment lined up and take a pic, cause i Saw earlier you have a pic of your trucks why not all of your trailers and mowers and handhelds, that will show everyone.
Matt

qualitylandscaping
07-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Hey Eric,

I did get your email.. Your town is about 11 hours away from me, so I should be out there by 4-5pm(EST) on Friday... I'm considering driving one of my trucks down there, but I really don't want to pay for gas since my dad will already be driving.. :blob2:

Whats the weather like out there this time of year?? Trying to figure out what to pack.. I should probably just open all of my drawers and put everything into bags...:rolleyes:

I'll see ya next week!

DLCS
07-14-2003, 11:33 PM
Hey Eric,

I did get your email.. Your town is about 11 hours away from me, so I should be out there by 4-5pm(EST) on Friday... I'm considering driving one of my trucks down there, but I really don't want to pay for gas since my dad will already be driving.. :blob2:

Whats the weather like out there this time of year?? Trying to figure out what to pack.. I should probably just open all of my drawers and put everything into bags...:rolleyes:

I'll see ya next week!

Here is an idea. If he sent you a e-mail and you recieved it, why not e-mail him back. Do you understand?

NNJLandman
07-14-2003, 11:51 PM
how many of you guys have insurance.....I'm trying to stay small right now because i can't afford it.

qualitylandscaping
07-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Sorry DLCS, should have emailed... Deleted his email and didn't feel like looking for the address again....

NNJ,

I have $1,000,000 in insurance which covers myself and my employees... Total yearly premimum: $1,490

WPLE
07-15-2003, 01:13 AM
Fully insured here. No liscense yet, can't take the test until next summer after i have completed my degree.

fblandscape
07-15-2003, 03:09 AM
Steve, please send me the name of the company which insures you for that sum of money. I get charged for just liability close to $3,000 a year.

lugnut#6
07-15-2003, 08:00 AM
nnjlandman

for 300,000.00 in liability in ms. cost 550.00 per year...85.00 a month fer 6 months.

yardman1
07-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by lugnut#6
nnjlandman

for 300,000.00 in liability in ms. cost 550.00 per year...85.00 a month fer 6 months.

Who do you have that with that is high for around here, I have 1 million and all my equiptment and mine is only like $650 a year and I have alot of stuff.

lugnut#6
07-15-2003, 08:33 AM
the policy is thru a local agent. the actual insurer is zurich something or other.

qualitylandscaping
07-15-2003, 08:43 AM
FLBLANDSCAPE,

I have my coverage through the Ronald F. Antinora agency.. I did ALL of my policies through them, so they gave me lower prices on everything...

NCSULandscaper
07-15-2003, 01:00 PM
I did ALL of my policies through them, so they gave me lower prices on everything...

And you still got screwed i believe.

I have $1,000,000 worth of liability, insurance on my shop and all equipment, trailers, and a new truck and mine only costs nearly $1600 per year.

$750 for liability and equipment/shop/trailer coverage
$845 for full coverage on a 2003 Ford F250

JHMlandscapes
07-15-2003, 02:21 PM
I wish I had car insurance cheap. For me being 17, insured in my parent's name with me as the primary driver, and I have the straight A discount, driver's ed, and I took some little class that dropped it about $400 a year, no wrecks, no tickets. I pay about $1200 a year for full coverage on a 1994 Ford Ranger with the big 4.0L motor. And we have all of our insurance through them.

Being a teenage driver is expensive.

Henry

battags
07-15-2003, 02:27 PM
This thread got off topic.....

ed's lawn service
07-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Am 17 yrs old. Been in the biz two yrs. currently own a 48" commercial w/b, a 21" honda self-propelled mower, a Stihl KM-110R trimmer, Stihl BG-55 hand-held blower, a home-converted boat trailer. i've got nine residential and one pending commercial accounts. i have a learners permit, so my mom has to go with me to all my jobs.

dlandscaping
07-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by JHMlandscapes
I wish I had car insurance cheap. For me being 17, insured in my parent's name with me as the primary driver, and I have the straight A discount, driver's ed, and I took some little class that dropped it about $400 a year, no wrecks, no tickets. I pay about $1200 a year for full coverage on a 1994 Ford Ranger with the big 4.0L motor. And we have all of our insurance through them.

Being a teenage driver is expensive.

Henry

Pity for $1200 a yr? My insurance is $3208 a yr with the straight A, drivers ed calls no tickets/wrecks either for primary driver of a 2003 f350 supercab psd. Never mind the payments for the truck, mowers etc.

WPLE
07-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Man, why buy a brand new 50,000$ truck just so you can get the thing pecked up from flying debris, and ruin the cloth seats with sweat and mud. if you have to have new why not an XL f350 instead? Seems more reasonable or better yet, a good used truck. Insurance would be alot less. Just a thought.

JHMlandscapes
07-16-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by dlandscaping
Pity for $1200 a yr? My insurance is $3208 a yr with the straight A, drivers ed calls no tickets/wrecks either for primary driver of a 2003 f350 supercab psd. Never mind the payments for the truck, mowers etc.

Ewww......that sucks man. I can't even imagine, my insurance seems so outrageous to me, I can't begin to fathom how bad it'd be if I had a new truck. A lot of my friends that drive sports cars pay the same as I do just for liability.

Henry

crazyscaper
07-16-2003, 08:20 AM
i am 15 yrs old started 3yrs ago with 1 craftsman mower a gas hand held blower and an electric weedwacker and about 6 lawns.
now i have 15 lawns 2 (crappy) craftsman walkbehinds that are for small gates and bagging, a 33" stealth w/elec start, a gas string trimmer, remax eb7000 blower and other various tools.

GTLC
08-04-2003, 03:04 PM
I am 15 and this year I financed a 44" Toro ZRT. I only mow in my large neighborhood and I have about 10 customers. I have been mowing for 3 years and I really enjoy it. I really don't have any commercial grade equipment, but with 10 lawns I do ok. I am happy I mow because I see all of my friends wasting their free time as bagboys at supermarkets or watching some bratty little kids at Smugglers' Notch (not very far from here) earning only $6.25/hour. Also this year I inherited some equipment from my late grandfather.

'02 Toro TimecutterZX 44"
Homelite (Textron) trimmer
Homelite Backpacker blower
'00 Scotts 21" 3-speed walk-behind

Swampbeast
08-04-2003, 04:36 PM
When I was 18 I had two trucks, two trailers, and two crews working for me. Yeah, it can be done. Just put your nose to the grind stone and work your butt off.

:cool:

pro-turf mgt.
08-06-2003, 10:28 PM
im 15 and i currnetly have 25 accounts. i have a John deere JX85 push mower, a shindaiwa trimmer ,edger, and blower. when school started i was just like all u guys. i was extremely tired, and didnt have time to study or do homework. so i invested in a walker mower (4,000 used). it turns out that mower saved me hours everyday. i actually have time to hang out with my friends and study. that mower turned out to be a huge success and i highly recomend it to any teenager or adult. if you cant afford to pay 4,000 upfront you can finance it easily. check out these mowers if you havent ever heard of them. GOOD LUCK!!! -pro turf mgt.

www.walkermowers.com

Farmer
08-12-2003, 10:24 PM
I am 16 and mow 11 yards (some 3 acre lots), plus landscaping jobs for ex. 96" diameter mulch rings around 60 trees (one client)
My Equipment consists of

1991 Ford SuperCab
(3) Echo Trimmers
Ryobi Brush Cutter
Lawn Boy Trimmer
(2) 21" Lawn Boy baggers
20" Jacobson Bagger
Stihl Blower
Echo Blower
Maculluh Blower
16' tandem axle Trailer
Edger
1989 Kubota L2250 4WD Tractor 72" mower
1996 Toro Hydro 18 hp 62" cut
1993 Bobcat 14 hp 48" cut
New Holland lawn Tractor 36" cut
(and some other equipment)

Farmer
08-12-2003, 10:32 PM
I did have more yards (around 15) but like i said earlier some of my yards are lage so I "downsized" lol to pay more attention to quality as a reaction to that.. I had to raise my prices, wich was fine with my clients.

ManleyLawn
09-21-2003, 10:03 PM
I have just turned 20 and i mow 62 res. and an apartment complex and one other com. it takes me all of 6 days by myself and only takes me 4 and a half w/someone working w/me

eXmark 60'' Lazr Z
36"
48"

Toro52
09-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Entered the business when i was 12 with a neighbor friend. Used a craftsman tractor and saved to buy a 52" wb toro. Then went off by myself. Now im am 17 and have 13 full time accounts 1.5-2 acres a piece and 5 more on and off accounts. its hard to work when you play varsity soccer and have a girlfiend, but it teaches you how to manage our time effectively. Also mulch, leaves, prune and plant. last summer installed a walk using ep henry pavers with lighting. Turned out great and learned alot from doing it. Have been in the business a while and absoultly love it!

Jeep wrangler
5*8 trailer
52" toro wb
60" lazer Z liquid cooled coming
redmax ed 7000 back pack
redmax strato charged trimmer
little wonder 13hp wb blower
craftsman 21"push mower

veltenslawncare
09-22-2003, 10:14 AM
im 17. i mow about 60 accounts. about 30 once a week. about 15 every ten days. and about 15 every two weeks. i usually do it by myself during summer. my dad helps sometimes. but when school and football start up me my dad and my brother work together, i just pay them out.
i have a
7 X 14 enclosed trailer (so i say time loading and unloading)
1988 chevy 3500 with utility box (old phone truck)
red max eb 7001 blower
1998 great dane hydro walk behind with jungle wheels 48" cut
2000 snapper garden tractor 48" (selling next spring)
2000 snapper 36" hydro walk behind
stihl fs 55 trimmer
red max 2500s trimmer
working on buying next spring either a ferris 52"deck or a exmark 52" deck. not sure witch yet
stihl ms280 chain saw

bonerigo.1
11-21-2003, 10:22 AM
I am 19 and also at osu in landscape hort. live in springfield,Oh and have 12 weekly accounts and a neverending supply of odd jobs. i have worked out of the back of my ford ranger for the season and plan to upgrade. my younger brother helps and is looking to buy new equip. also work for osu landscape/grounds dept in the morns before class and also work for a lco in springfield. during the summer i work for the lco 50 hrs a week and cut on the weekends. looking to expand to possibly 20 accounts and a new truck/trailer/equip as soon as the columbus power show is over.

EagleLandscape
11-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Gosh, everyone needs to stop ripping on qualitylandscaping. I'm 18 now, turning 19 in a few days. It's not rocket science to mow friging grass. He lives with his parents just like I do, so we don't have to pay for living expenses. my only expenses are gas/oil/equip, and car payments. thats about it. I'm solo, and this summer was doing 40-45 yards solo. I worked 3 days a week. SO about 12-15 yards. Took me about 7-8 hours. I fly!!! I don;t understand why everyone keeps ripping on everyone else, you guys are bunch of fags and need to shut the hell up. Leave him alone, he's being honest and you guys are being a pain in the ***. I'm sure he'd welcome you all to come see his stuff, and then he can bill you his hourly rate of about $100 an hour.
The reason why I was able to buy a 2003 f250 crew cab diesel this summer is because ive saved almost everything I earned this summer for equipment, and I had about 15-20k left over to spend on a truck. So stop ripping on people you don't even know.

rockstate
11-21-2003, 05:41 PM
I am 16 now and i have husqvarna trimmer and b/p blower i started off with a craftsman 42" when i was 12 and then bought a John Deere LX279 when i was 14, I am buying a 36" Lesco and a 48" Exmark TT HP. I have a 94 F-150 and a 16' trailer. This year i mowed about 15 a week next year i will be looking at 40 res and 2 com. a week.

qualitylandscaping
11-21-2003, 11:28 PM
rockstate,

your profile says you are 25....:confused: :help:

rockstate
11-22-2003, 02:13 AM
yeah i need to change that i wasnt payin attention do you kno how to fix that?

grasssin
11-22-2003, 03:13 AM
quality landscaping you need to get a life and live a little, 16 and act like you are managing a Fortune 500 company. In 20 years I think you will look back and realize you should have acted like a kid. By the way I think everyone is still waiting on your pictures of all your euipment together.

I could easily get all my friends trucks and take pictures of them with my magnetics on them and claim that they were mine.

You say that insurance is cheaper on the vehicles you use, but what about the maintance cost on them hauling around trailers all day? A new trani would easliy cover the insurance of a bigger truck.

And I guess your dad has no real job before you just turned 16 because having 100+ accounts would take him all day hauling you around to watch you mow your yards.

Just a thought................................................

qualitylandscaping
11-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Grassin,

quality landscaping you need to get a life and live a little, 16 and act like you are managing a Fortune 500 company. In 20 years I think you will look back and realize you should have acted like a kid.

I do realize that I don't make enough time for myself of my friends. I see them in school everyday and usually hang out at night after work and on weekends. My girlfriend is my angel and she usually works with me, so there is no "lack of time together" there.

By the way I think everyone is still waiting on your pictures of all your euipment together.

Pictures are here.. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53723&highlight=teenager+in+business

You say that insurance is cheaper on the vehicles you use, but what about the maintance cost on them hauling around trailers all day? A new trani would easliy cover the insurance of a bigger truck.

Full truck insurance coverage is $7,545 a year including commercial towing insurance.. Don't even try to tell me a new tranny costs that much :nono:

And I guess your dad has no real job before you just turned 16 because having 100+ accounts would take him all day hauling you around to watch you mow your yards.

You didn't read right...... I only had about 36 small lawns until this season... Which means he only had to drive me around on weekends and he worked with me.

EagleLandscape
11-22-2003, 01:41 PM
GGood deal qualitylandscaping, you are in inspiration to me. And look at your pm's, i sent you one about webhosting a while back.

odin
11-22-2003, 01:53 PM
quality

Screw these guys dont belive you ....as far as im concerned you a good kid..keep up the good work.

rockstate
11-22-2003, 02:27 PM
hey quality how do you like that 717 deere ? I looked into the John Deere commercial and looked at a demo stand on 757. What do you think about them? Do you have a striping kit on that, because those are some pretty nice stripes

qualitylandscaping
11-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Odin and Jwing- thanks for the support:)

rockstate- I love the 717.. I wish I had one of the bigger models like the 757, but it does the job. Compared to my Lesco ZTR, the Deere kicks its GRA$$:waving: And no striping attachments..

rockstate
11-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanks a lot, do you know about how much those 717s run at?

qualitylandscaping
11-22-2003, 02:57 PM
I paid $6399 for mine (including tax).. They retail for $7399 but they had a $1500 off promotion going on when I bought mine..

rockstate
11-23-2003, 12:13 AM
alright thanks a lot man

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by The Lawn Boy Pro
I do 48 lawns a week (close to half every other though) and one of these being our church-commercial. I am homeschooled, so I have a LOT more time to deal with biz. As part of school, how I run and manage my small business gets graded-Part of learning how life in the REAL world will be so it works out pretty well for me. As for equipment, I run:

-Encore Pro Line 52" 20HP Liquid Cooled, OHV Kawasaki
-5HP B&S Trac Vac (For Encore)
-Honda 21" 4HP OHV, 2 Speed, Eletc. Start, Twin Blade, Bagger
-MTD 5HP Walkbehind Edger
-MTD 18.5 HP B&S 46" Garden Tractor
-4x5 Utility Trailer (for MTD Tractor-haul multch,etc. around on properties)
-Mclutch 18" String trimmer (strait shaft)
-Homelite 18: Gas Hedge Trimmer
-Homelite 60cc 208 MPH Backpack Blower
-Toro Recycler 21" 6HP 1 speed bagger
-8HP Troy Bilt Tiller
-Homelite 21" Twin Blade Mulcher/Side Discharge
-3HP 9800 GPH 2" Trash Pump (For Watergarden/Pond Cleanouts)
-5HP John Deere Rear engine rider (not really for biz, just have it)

-10x6 Single Axle open Landscape Trailer
-87' Dodge Dakota V6 w/44,000 Miles

Everyone, theres a BIG mistake in this post, I didnt even see it!!! I am soooooo sorry- i have no idea how the 4 got in before the 8 on that post! I only do 8 lawns!!! theres no way i could handle 48 by myself LOL :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I ony do 8, eight, i do 8 i do 8, I DO 8 lawns!!!

I just caught it browsing through past posts ive made. I am sooooo sorry, I hope no one takes it the wrong way.

BW4486
02-07-2004, 06:39 PM
im 17 and go to school till 10:00 and then mow the rest of the day and then full time in the summer

ManleyLawn
02-08-2004, 07:11 PM
I am 20 and own my own lawn/landscaping business. i mow about 63 res. and 5 com. So far has been a big learning expierience.. But i enjoy it and i enjoy knowing it was me he did it and no one else. stick with it guys. :)

oleo
02-09-2004, 12:19 AM
SOUNDS GREAT GUYS

stevesmowing
02-09-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm 15 will be 16 in March. Last year I had about 10 yards a week, this year I am looking to get 20. It takes me about 40 minutes on each one. I have an encore 48" wide walk behind, just designed and made up a sulky for it this winter. I am planning on buying a Shindaiwa EB630 blower and a Stihl FS85 trimmer soon. Last year I just used a cheap trimmer and blower. Any of you doing leaves? How much do u charge? Can a one man crew handle it?

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-12-2004, 10:37 AM
I do leaves. I use this equipment on a typical 1-timer job:
-Giant Vac 8HP Push Blower
-2 Redmax EB-4300s (helper runs the other)
-2 Rakes

..... and as soon as i get a Leaf Box built for my truck, I will put my Giant Vac 20HP Leaf Loader to work!! :)

I run about $75-80 an hour for a job.

EDIT-Yes, I have pics, theyre on this site... somewhere. I'll post em again if someone wants to see em.

CoultersDFW
02-12-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm 18, been mowing in Dallas Texas for 8 years. I started young with my nextdoor neighbor and enjoyed the extra cash. I havent grown much due to school, but am working this season on getting to where I mow 60 a week solo. The lawns are not too big where I am, but I may get a 44" wb this year to help speed up the work. This year I need to work on the business end of my operation, so far its been a verbal contract kind of deal.

Here is my humble setup: :blob3:

glllc
02-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I didn't realize there were so many bullshiters . I'm 29 and it's hard for me to get respect from older people that we work for. Id love to see a customers face when some teenager shows up to do their big landscape job. If theyre hiring you guys, they're obviously looking for price not quality.

stevesmowing
02-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Just because we are teenagers in the business does not mean it is worse quality. I have had some of my customers come to me beacuse the other people were in such a big hurry they would miss spots and they didn't take as much pride in what they did as me

TheKingNJ
02-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by glllc
I didn't realize there were so many bullshiters . I'm 29 and it's hard for me to get respect from older people that we work for. Id love to see a customers face when some teenager shows up to do their big landscape job. If theyre hiring you guys, they're obviously looking for price not quality.

Why do you assume that there is no quality behind a teenager? Why also do you assume that younger people tend to lowball?

vadeere
02-12-2004, 05:34 PM
I agree completely TheKingNJ.

AGLawnCare
02-12-2004, 05:56 PM
gllc

I can't say how wrong you are.
I don’t know about the other guys in here but my crew and I do some of the best work. We have the same equipment as the other guys so why could we not deliver the same work. People hire me because of the quality not the price, I over bid or match most of the time but it is my reputation that gets the work.

So why would you say that?
I really want to know you reason

DieselDeere
02-12-2004, 07:24 PM
NNJ,

I'm in a co-op program that allows me to leave school after a 1/2 day. The other students in the program go to work at another business as an intern, but I convinced the school board to let me leave and work at my own business. I go to school from 6:30am until 10:30am, 4 days a week.. I'm still taking 6 classes which will keep up with the graduation requirements. I also get 1 credit for every 100 hours I work.. So for me, I get 1 credit every week and a half to two weeks.

Its hard to find time to do all of this work and I do work Saturdays and Sundays, but I wouldn't trade it for anything:)

What type of co-op did cutting lawns meet the requirement for? Business, Marketing ext.

NNJLandman
02-12-2004, 07:36 PM
We have a program like that here at my school, you get out at 12:00 you jus have to take your "requirement" courses then you can leave for the day for work. You need 15 hours of work a week and you need to fill out sheets each week. Do some stuff.

DieselDeere
02-12-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm 29 and it's hard for me to get respect from older people that we work for.

WOW I WONDER WHY! Why you get respect from anyone that is!

GTLC
02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Wow, yeah we are only teens we BS all the time. Yes, we may be young but we can really do a good job if not better than bigger or more "mature" companies. How hard is it to drive a mower, run a string trimmer and edger, and blow away the clippings? I first had a little trouble getting good pay b/c of age but after we show our customers the job we do, then we will get more respect and sometimes higher pay.

glllc
02-12-2004, 08:58 PM
You guys call yourselves landscapers, but all you do is cut lawns- that doesn't qualify you as a landscaper. For gods sake, my 60 year old mother can cut a lawn. Maybe you should be thinking about studying for your drivers test, or how to explain to your customers that you cant work because you have detention instead of playing on the internet. Explain to me how you can aquire the knowledge of being a professional at the age of 15? You can't even legally sign a contract. Your customers can tell you that theyre not paying you and theres nothing you can do, ask a lawyer. Let me just remind you that theres a big difference between cutting a neighbors lawn and being a landscape professional.

GTLC
02-12-2004, 09:50 PM
yewp understood, but first nobody said we were "landscape professionals" in the first place, and remember this is lawnsite.com, not landscapesite.com.

qualitylandscaping
02-12-2004, 10:48 PM

Man there are some A##holes on this site!!:mad:

How long have you been in business Mr. Pro Landscaper????
Why don't you have a website??? Don't make enough money??!!

I pull in a mid range six digit income and will be running a crew with 8 full time (legally employed) employees this season.

I have legal contracts with several large hotel and restaurant chains in this area.

I have installed retaining walls, patios, full landscape (from design to installation to maintenance)..

Just because we are young doesn't mean we don't know what we're doing.. Can you charge over $75/hr for your work????

You can't even legally sign a contract
WRONG!!! Check with a lawyer smart a$$

[B]Your customers can tell you that theyre not paying you and theres nothing you can doB]

There are two different types of people on this site.. The pro's who help others and the scrubs who bash on everybody because they are not as good as the rest of us...

qualitylandscaping
02-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by stevesmowing
Just because we are teenagers in the business does not mean it is worse quality. I have had some of my customers come to me beacuse the other people were in such a big hurry they would miss spots and they didn't take as much pride in what they did as me

Hey Steve,

Just read your profile and I see you live in Webster.. I'm in Scottsville...

Welcome to the forum!:D

qualitylandscaping
02-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by DieselDeere
What type of co-op did cutting lawns meet the requirement for? Business, Marketing ext.

NNJ answered most of it..

The basic requirement is at least 15 hours of work per week and a 1 hour meeting once per week with the program advisor.. During the meetings we basically go over my business plan, accounting methods, etc. Its kind of free business advice.. But to answer your question, I get to do this because it teaches about being a sole-propetitor and the methods of running a business.. I really don't need the advice, I just need the extra time to work.:cool:

terracare
02-13-2004, 10:16 AM
My partner and I are both 19. We started when I was 16 and he was 15 when our old boss left the business. We took 15 of his existing customers and built the biz from there. We currently service 153 lawn maintenance accounts. We are also pretty heavy into landscaping now and will be trying for about 200,000 in landscaping sales for 2004. Our current equipment:

1990 F350 4x4 w/ western pro plow / EZ dumper
1990 F250 4x4 w/ western pro plow / EZ dumper
2003 John Deere 4510 Tractor
2002 Exmark 60" Diesel w/ultravac & striping kit
2002 Exmark 52" HP w/ultrava & striping kit
2000 Exmark 48" Metro hp w/ bagger
199? Gravely 36" WB w/ bagger
2001 Hurst 20' trailer
199? beaver creek 12' trailer
shindaiwa string trimmers
solo bp blowers
various other small tools/equipment

This year the following equipment will be added to the list:

-New dell computer with quickbooks pro, customer manager, and payroll software (Today, actually :))

-Gravely 34z rider

-New Mitsubishi cabover 4x4 w/ blizzard 810 plow(This was debated because it was such high overhead costs, but we decided that even if we did not meet the volume that we expect, we would be able to afford this.) We were dissappointed because the front axle isn't rated high enough on these to put the blizzard 8611 :(

Various other small things will also be added. We will be getting cell phones for everyone w/ mobile to mobile, company gas cards for each of us, and there is a possibility of a 1998 or newer Jeep wrangler that we will be using for residential driveways in the winter and a sales vehicle in the summer.)

This industry has been good to us so far and we are considering branching out and starting other businesses that we are interested in within the next 5 years or so. Glad to see others our age having so much success in the green industry. Hats off to you

Todd
Terra-Care, LLC

GTLC
02-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Hey todd, go custom w/ the new PC, we have used dells here and then customs and the customs are much better and usually cheaper, too.

Watch out for those Japanese cabovers, they might not be very durable.

Try an American truck like for example International.

Just my .02

Mlc gmc03
02-14-2004, 11:40 PM
i am 18 years old and started when i was very young now my company has gotten to the point where it is the family business my dad has since quit his job and basically runs the company we do roughly 130 res customers a week and about 30 large commercial accounts, we have 5 full time crew memebers and are currently in the process of buying some property which has a barn on it for our stuff bu also has about 3 acres more on a very busy road in which we plan to put storage units

equipment:
2003 gmc 3500 dump 8'2 boss v-plow
2001 chevy 1500
1995 gmc 1500
1991 chevy 3500 hd dump 8.5" central hydo western
7*18 open trialer
7*16 open trialer
8*20 enclosed
61' turf tiger
52' turf tiger
48' lazer z hp
48' scag wb
36" scag wb
36" scag wb
32" scag wb
21" toro comm
tons of echo ans sthil
edgers trimmers and blowers

grassbob
02-16-2004, 03:23 PM
When I was seventeen I had between 70 and 100 lawns per week. I kind of had a social life, I used my girlfriends as employees. Kind of a mean trick I guess but they never asked for more money. I now have one of the largest maintenance businesses in our area and am respected by the whole community. As far as school is cocerned I am now thirty and mow over two hundred accounts, and still am trying to get my degree in Horticulture. I am 38 credits away from it now. So don't give up. It is worth it if you love it.

It is a passion, not a job.

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Man there are some A##holes on this site!!:mad:

How long have you been in business Mr. Pro Landscaper????
Why don't you have a website??? Don't make enough money??!!

I pull in a mid range six digit income and will be running a crew with 8 full time (legally employed) employees this season.

I have legal contracts with several large hotel and restaurant chains in this area.

I have installed retaining walls, patios, full landscape (from design to installation to maintenance)..

Just because we are young doesn't mean we don't know what we're doing.. Can you charge over $75/hr for your work????

[B]You can't even legally sign a contract

Your customers can tell you that theyre not paying you and theres nothing you can doB]

There are two different types of people on this site.. The pro's who help others and the scrubs who bash on everybody because they are not as good as the rest of us...

LOL, and thats the nice way to put it too!:mad:

qualitylandscaping
02-17-2004, 12:00 PM
LOL, and thats the nice way to put it too!

haha Loren!

I could rip a hole through a few people on here, just don't want to get BANNED :o

:blob2: evil eyes :blob2:

Scraper
02-17-2004, 01:40 PM

I could rip a hole through a few people on here, just don't want to get BANNED

Tough guy, eh? LOL

Alright then, since you are so qualified, I assume you have your own home and family you support with this business ? Taking that you are only 18 into account you at least have a mortgage with all that money you are making, correct?

I think that most people take an issue with all the teenagers on here because most are living with mom and dad and have the advantage of not having those extra costs. Then you see them posting all their worldly advice from all 2 of their years mowing the neighbors house. Heck, if I lived at home with my wife and daughter and had none of those added expenses I would be sitting pretty. I'm not attacking you as you seem to be heading in the right direction, but many are just posers.

CoultersDFW
02-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Everyone has to start somewhere. :nono:

promower
02-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I dont want to get in the middle of this but I find it hard to believe someone in high school still has enough time to run a buisness that is generating an income in the mid 6 figures. I could be wrong and I'm not saying that your lying but that sounds like an exaggeration. I just dont see where you could find the time to do all this.

CoultersDFW
02-17-2004, 02:03 PM
He'd have to be a workaholic imo. I'm in college too, but take summers off. Working full time with just one helper, I've calculated that I could bring in a net figure in the low 6 figures. It would certainly be alot of work, and I'd have to hire more help in the winter months when I'm in school, but it is something I can do if I wanted to. Hire crews and a manager and with enough lawns, I think that after all is said and done, $3-400k/yr may be feasible?

promower
02-17-2004, 02:32 PM
I guess it could be done, I'm not making those figures so I dont what is all involved at this level but being in HS, and operating a buisness of this size is unheard of around me. To do this kind of workload you have to have a shop, being young getting credit for these big purchases would be tough.

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-17-2004, 03:32 PM
LOL, and thats the nice way to put it too!

haha Loren!

I could rip a hole through a few people on here, just don't want to get BANNED :o

:blob2: evil eyes :blob2: Yeah, better off not pushing your luck :rolleyes:. I would LOVE to be doin 60+ accounts, but I'm just not ready yet. not that i dont have the knowledge to run the biz, just with my mom and her cancer, and stuff, its just not gonna happen yet. So I gotta wait and see what happens.

As for those who think teens are jerks/punks/dont know what they're talking about/etc. (fill in the blank), Listen here, age dont say anything about you. Its all about maturity and skills. For the most part, the teens on this forum dont spend their lifes in front of the boob tube watching TV all day or playin on the freakin' Playstation 2/XBOX/Gamecube/computer. We have lives too. For all of those who think were a bunch of show-offs saying we have brains, i got news for you. WE HAVE BRAINS, AND WE KNOW HOW TO USE THEM. If you cant comprehend the prior statement, then thats your fault for not having any brains. You cant just jump into a business, you have to start somewhere. So to all you complainers out there that tell us were a bunch of B/Sers, shut your mouths and control the heat.

promower
02-17-2004, 06:42 PM
I dont think teens are punks without brains, I was a teen myself not to long ago. Running a buisness takes knowledge and any teen doing his/her own thing is well ahead of many people twice their age today. Running such a large operation that was mentioned before I think would be extremely hard to achieve for a few reasons 1. Time restraints with still being in school 2. Credit issues, you may have perfect credit but without sustaing a good credit for a number of years, getting large loans on your own would be difficult. 3. Running a company that does $60,000 in sales vs. $600,000 in sales is totally different ballgame which would be hard to manage while in high school. A young teenager thinks they know everything but at that age you more then likely have not been 100% on you own, house/rent bills, utilities,phone, food, kids the list goes on. One can manage a company of that magnitude without any expierence in the real life but it is not probable. I do commend all the young adults in starting your own company, it's great but some of the numbers seem unrealistic.

Mark Lawncare
02-19-2004, 01:05 PM
It very easy for someone to go on the Internet and act like they are the man. For example I could say "I'm only 17 and I have a Chevy k2500 8 foot plow, 5x10 trailer, Honda 48" hydro WB, two 21" mowers, trimmers, blowers and I do 15 lawns. On the surface this is true but, the truck was given to me, the 48" mower was purchased by my the parents to do our home lawn and the only stuff I had to buy were the blowers, trimmers, the trailer and the small mowers. I now other kids my age that do lawns and brag to their friends about how much they make, when in reality if they had real expanses they wouldn't make anything.

TheKingNJ
02-19-2004, 01:19 PM
yeah Kids like that piss me off. This one friend of mine, he is 18, it took him 2 years to get though 11th grade. His dady bought him an f 250, 2 scag turf tigers 52', he has a nice 20 foot enclosed trailer and ever STIHL small engine accessory you could ever dream of. His dad know a lot of people, so he hooked him up with all his accounts, pays for his gas, maintenance on his equipment.
yeah, and that is after the 400 ex, kx 250, new toyota celica, did i mention his $45,000 race car?

************IT MUST BE NICE******************
and he thinks i'm doing something wrong because i'm only making ends meat. Hmm I paid for everything I have.

terracare
02-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Friend and I worked for the same [horrible] lawn care company for three years together and saved everything we earned. We always told each other "if I owned this lawn care business, I would.. " Well, sure enough after three years working when we were 17 our boss quit and sold his old customers to us. Together we had about 10,000 in cash. We bought a 1989 Ford F250 for 2500, a new trailer for 2000, a new exmark wb for 2500, and used the rest of the money towards legal fees of establishing our LLC agreement and paying for insurance. The first year I admit we used his dad's trimmer and hand blower, but that's it. Our first year we netted about 20,000 (after paying ourselves back the 10,000 we had spent out of our pocket). We both signed the LLC agreement when we turned 18. Of the profit that we earned in 2002, we bought a 1990 F350 with a western pro plow and we put a new easy dumper in it. We also purchased our exmark hp and a small older gravely 36in wb. 2003 netted about 100,000. We bought the exmark diesel mid-season 2003 and also bought a brand new 2003 john deere 4510 tractor with loader. We will be using this for plowing a large condominium association with the loader and a box scraper in the winter and for new lawn installations/landscape installations this summer. 2004 looks to be a stellar year for us, and we hope to break the 200,000 mark.

It's all about setting those goals and finding a way to achieve them. Our success in the green industry so far has been to think every decision we make through thoroughly, as well as our dedication to perfect results and superb customer relations. The more customers you get, the more references you get.

The ride has been great so far, and both my partner and I look forward to all the work we are hoping for this year! LawnSite has been a invaluable resource to both of us. You guys are all great

Todd
Terra-Care, LLC

cao
02-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Dear Friends,
Hello.I am Gavon ,import & export deaprtment manager of gardening & horticultural machinary co.We manufacture lawn mower parts and trimmer racks parts and trailer parts for American buyers.Competetive prices and high quality are our advantadges.If you provide the samples of green industry products,we can manufacture fine products.If you or your friend s are interested,please contact me at e-mail:gavon@chinamet.com.Thank you.

Yours,
Gavon

BULLGRAZER
02-19-2004, 08:19 PM
lawnranger44,

I think its great you are working and building a business at such a young age - thats what makes this country go round.

Although, I do want to point out if you are not already aware, there are some issues you just need to be mindful of regarding your age and providding services for hire (working). Also, if your parents or some other adult has any relationship to your company, they could find themselves liable for situations they may not be aware. All I'm saying is BE AWARE of the specific laws surrounding your position and keep on keeping on.

The reason I'm sending this reply to you is that I was faced with circumstances like yours when my two sons (now 21 & 19 - then 14 & 16) started mowing for neighbors etc and working for me - Texas has harsh Child Labor Laws as do most states.

See the attached

Best of luck in your business

-=KC=-

qualitylandscaping
02-19-2004, 08:44 PM
cao,

Please read the terms of membership.. DO NOT try to sell anything on here unless you are a sponsor..

mh1314
02-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Steve, Quality

Since you are feeling a little pushy...

I believe that sometime back you claimed these figures....as of May 2003...
Weekly mowing totals are approx: $5,600 * 8 cuts so far this season= $44,800

Plowing payments received after Jan. 1,2003= $6,218

Spring Cleanups= $10,000

Mulch jobs= $21,275

Landscaping= $103,000

One time jobs= $19,550

Seeding/Fertilizing: $17,985

There are several other services I do not currently have approx totals for (i.e. sealcoating, tree removals, stump grinding, etc)... When everything is together, it should be right around $260,000

Are these correct? What High School do you attend and what is your advisor's name and phone number?

lawnman_scott
02-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by mh1314
Steve, Quality

Spring Cleanups= $10,000

Mulch jobs= $21,275

Landscaping= $103,000

One time jobs= $19,550

There are several other services I do not currently have approx totals for (i.e. sealcoating, tree removals, stump grinding, etc)... When everything is together, it should be right around $260,000

Are these correct? What High School do you attend and what is your advisor's name and phone number?

Those numbers are totally wrong. He stated in june or july that he was at $300,000 for the year. And also he makes 30% of his income in leaf cleanups. He makes much mort that $260,000. Oh steve, how is the new shop coming along? any pictures?

Mlc gmc03
02-24-2004, 05:17 PM
hey cao i also agree dont try and sell nething but also the reason why people dont have jobs in this country is because of you d*** people in china its time for people in this country to show some american pride because the same people who are making the lawncare tools in this country might be your customers and if your customers lose there job well you just lost yours too we live in the usa, support usa

Scraper
02-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Man! Won't this thread ever die? ;)

DUSTYCEDAR
02-25-2004, 09:22 AM
no chance of that happening

mtstclair
04-01-2004, 08:48 PM
This is a funny business i swear ever time i think i have seen or heard it all i see something else. You got kids and old men out there doing the some thing i cant think of any other business where this kind of stuff happens so much. just though i would put in my ten cents worth. GOOD LUCK OUT THERE!

Trevors Lawn Care
04-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Eighteen, Everything is in my name. it is a legit business and yes i pay taxes. I have close to 30 accounts right now and still looking to add an additional 30 or so.

44 gravely ztr
33 w/b
6x12 enclosed trailer
2000 GMC SIERRA
stihl edger, eater, and back pack blower

Itsgottobegreen
04-02-2004, 09:58 AM
I wash 13 when i took every ever penny i had and bought a 48" bunton bullet. (worst machine i ever owned), Later that year i bought a 32" eXmark to have something that stayed running. I bought a Ferris hydrowalk Sd when i was 15. When i was 15 we moved to maryland(dame my father's job). So i when form 1acre properties to 3 acres. I sold the bunton, ferris and bought a 52" Wright Stander. Bought another one when i was 16. Bought a trailer and truck when i was 17. Kubota B7500 tractor when i was 18. I got my sister working for me now. I do 15 accounts at 3acres each, plus two postage stamps. I now do more landscape maintain and construction now i have a tractor. I am at college right now so it takes up a lot of time. I love every minute of it, except the college part.

exmarkhp
04-02-2004, 02:02 PM
I'm 18 and I have 25 residential accounts and a 5 acre and 15 acre cemetary. I'm a senior in High School and going to a local college next year for Electro-mechanical Technology.

I have an 99 Exmark HP 48" 18hp
03 John Deere GT245 54" 20hp
3 Echo weed wackers
Echo blower
Echo hedger + poll hedger
aerator, dethatchers, and all kinds of other stuff

exmarkhp
04-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Just something I wanted to add
I started out with my dads equipment including his old truck in which I bought off him a little while later. I don't really see what the big deal is about parents helping there kids out. I started at 13 like I could afford a my own equipment I didn't even have a license. My dad hold my ass around but he didn't care as long as I wasn't sitting my ass down watching tv. I do just fine know but I don't make 6 figures I hardly believe someone in school could pull that off if so I'm living in the wrong state.

Itsgottobegreen
04-03-2004, 01:20 PM
I own everything in my shop except the one PB-400E (ITS 13 Years old and still gets used everyday), A tanaka brush cutter, JD 214 tractor(I own all the attachments), one of the snapper mowers (both 25 years old, with new engines 8 years ago) Which is the equipment my father let me borrow to get started. I was doing 5 accounts at 1 acre each with the snapper. (the tractor transmittion was striped of every gear with i have rebuilt 3 times now from use). Also one restored 1977 troy built tiller given to me by my grandfather when he moved. Everything else is mine. But i wouldn't have any equipment if i didn't borrow some stuff. But thats how most of us got started with used or borrowed stuff.

Other equipment owned and sold are
1-21" steel deck snapper
2-mtd push blower
1-chipper vac
1-48" bunton bullet
1-48" Ferris Hydrowalk (I miss that machine)
1-42" landpride brush hog (for sale $650 for a Kubota BX series)
1-craftsmans mig welder
1-locke reel mower (my hobby, I have 5 mower being restored)

Scag48
04-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey guys, the revenue is in diversity, any old joe can cut a lawn. My dad started an install business at the end of last summer. Right now without any advertising the phone will not stop ringing, people need stuff done. Once we do the install, renovation, etc., I pick up the maintenance contract to take care of the lawn. We get them twice, first for the install then for the maintenance, diversity is the key. You build a larger customer base this way and the customer is yours for YEARS. BTW, everyone has to start somewhere. I started with minimal equipment. Buying a new truck this year to get around in and this business has paid for it completely.

xtremelawns
04-03-2004, 07:04 PM
My name is Mike.. I am 19.. been cutting grass for about 5 year now.. Just got serious 2 years ago. i have about 35 accounts. As for equipment i have A 36 inch SNapper W/b,, exmark 60" ZTR With 25hp kohler, and a Snapper 61" ZTR with 25 Kohler. i havea 16ft open.. And a Chevy 2500 Silverado.. 89 but powerful as hell. I am looking for a enclosed trailer about 20 ft/18 ft this season.. WEll im trying for 75 accounts this year so i can buy new stuff including the street bike i want (r6) :)

SpikeMan1021
04-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I'm 19 and started working with a lawn company when I was 12. After two years I decide to get in the business by myself and I branched out from the lawn company. I had to have my dad drive me around and he got in the business as well. Now I have 17 residential yards and one commercial yard. My dad has about 24 residential yards and 3 commercial yards. We keep our yards separate but we help each other cut one another’s yards.
If you’re just starting a business be patient its rough in the beginning and frustrating. Always please your customers. I’ve gotten more jobs though word of mouth.
I run a 36” Toro Pro-line, a 52” Toro pro-line, 21” Lawn Boy Commercial Duty, Shindawa T230, STIHL FS36, and a RedMax EB7001
There’s a big problem with stealing in my area. Last year both My Shindawa and Redmax bp were stolen. Now that I have new ones I want to lock them up. I’ve seen blowers and trimmers locked up, in racks on other companies trailers. Does anyone know any web sites that sell these things? Or just have more information for me.
Thanks
Spike

qualitylandscaping
04-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Spike,

Use the search feature and you can find locking racks..

MOJO7848
04-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Hey-
I know I am new to the site but I have been reading threads for a while. I don’t post because I always find the information I need. I came across the thread that said “Teenagers in Business”. I am 17 so I though I could relate to this. I started reading it and can’t believe that some these kids have so much equipment. I have 2 mowers. A 32 Toro WB and a 36 Toro WB. I bough both used.
I am just shocked by how “Qualtylandscaping” can get such cheap Insurance. I have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe that is lifted (I pay for all of it) and my insurance is almost 2 grand a year. No Wrecks, Good grades, ect. I saw you pay 493.28 a month for everything. That equals out for a little under 6 grand a year. Allstate just be good to kids that can afford 4 cars, 11 mowers, and 3 trailers… So how much did daddy pay for your stuff. It is weird how you said you are covered all through Allstate then u reply to “FLBLANDSCAPE”, with- I have my coverage through the Ronald F. Antinora agency.. HHHMMM. sounds weird huh?
Now as far as ya’ll who co-op… WOW. Alright... When you graduate high school you only need 24 credits. You say you get your full 6 credits a year, that equals 24 for four years. Do you want me to restate what you said (I'm still taking 6 classes which will keep up with the graduation requirements. I also get 1 credit for every 100 hours I work.. So for me, I get 1 credit every week and a half to two weeks.) So how many credits do you need.. Oh wait you only need 24… I guess it’s cool to lie.
Well have fun just making up all this BS. And will you ask your daddy if I can have some money… My parents laugh at me when I ask for a couple of bucks. But hey for real can we just see a nice picture of you and all your trailers, and cars, and equipment… Oh and then another one of your Crews… Thanks.
Blake

qualitylandscaping
04-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Blake,

Get off my nuts...:mad:

Don't just run up in here like you own the place... You have ONE post.. I have 400+ on this site and 1500+ on another site.. I have proven myself and we are past the point of any more discussion about how true anything is..

If you don't believe me I don't care.. Get a life

lawnman_scott
04-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by mh1314
Steve, Quality

Spring Cleanups= $10,000

Mulch jobs= $21,275

Landscaping= $103,000

One time jobs= $19,550

Are these correct? What High School do you attend and what is your advisor's name and phone number? So are these correct numbers then steve?LOL no we all know they arent, but it makes for great entertainment.

EagleLandscape
04-05-2004, 06:05 PM
grow up everyone... can a moderator please lock this thread.

rookiemower
04-05-2004, 07:27 PM
everyone replying, i've seen pictures of steves equipment and trucks. no one should assume anyone is lying unless you can prove it 100%. i'm not saying he isnt lying but i'm not gonna badmouth him if i don't know a dam about him or his company. stop making accusations about people.

qualitylandscaping
04-05-2004, 09:57 PM
"4 cars, 11 mowers, and 3 trailers…"

READ THE SIGNATURE LINE DUMB A$$.. I don't have half of that anymore..

A big business with tons of customers and tons of expenses is not better than a smaller business with less customers and less expenses.. In the end, If my personal income is the same, it doesn't matter how big I let my business get.

lawnman_scott,

Those numbers were estimated and no they aren't accurate.. Total numbers for the year are with my accountant and I won't know for a few weeks but everything total for the year was under $300k..

qualitylandscaping
04-05-2004, 10:17 PM
And MoJo... Here are the pictures

These have been posted before and reflect everything listed in my signature line...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53723&highlight=teenager+in+business

Believe me or don't, I don't care...

qualitylandscaping
04-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Oops.. Forgot I sold the Ranger Splash and got the F-150..

here's the pic..

rookiemower
04-05-2004, 10:35 PM
steve if people dont want to believe you don't worry about it, all that matters is that your a respected member on this site, and many people enjoy your threads and responses

Bill Flood

qualitylandscaping
04-05-2004, 10:37 PM
thanks rookiemower!:)

BillyRgn
04-06-2004, 09:34 PM
i am 16 and just got my license but have been doing it in my neighbor hood for about two years, now doing about 20 1/2 acre accounts. i bought all new a 48' Exmark Metro 15hp Kawasaki, Shindiawa trimmer, Shindiawa backpack blower, Giant-Vac 10hp Blower, Toro 10hp Snow Blower, Edger, and my latest purchase a 1995 GMC 3500 SRW 4x4 with an 8ft Meyers Plow

Mark Lawncare
04-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Steve your stuff looks great. I probaly wouldn't post how much I make on this site but thats up to you.

Moore Mowing
04-07-2004, 09:55 PM
hey... I am 18 years old. I have been in the mowing business for four years. I started on a regular Yard Machines mower. I now have to 72" Dixie Choppers, 2 Red Max weedeaters, and 2 Red Max eb7001 blowers. I have around $40,000 invested in my business. I mow around 40 yards. I hope to have at least 60 by the middle of mowing season. Keep up the good work and the business will come to you....

Four Season's
04-07-2004, 10:15 PM
hey exmarkhp,

How do you like your 03 John Deere GT245 54" 20hp? Sounds like a sweet machine.

Wow, a 15 acre cemetary. sounds impressive. How long does that take to mow?

Where abouts are you in Maine? I know of a Perreault's Lawncare from the Bismark area. They drive a womanly 1/2 ton extended cab truck. I heard they were real shady characters. 2 brothers as a matter of fact.

rockstate
04-07-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm 16 in Kansas City, I have 30 yards because i cant handle anymore with school and lacrosse practice everyday.. I have a 97 dodge ram 4x4 extended cab. 2003 exmark 48 tthp. 21 toro and an old gravely 36. I also have husqvarna trimmer and blower but just bought the shindaiwa t2500 trimmer.. all carried on a 12' tandem axle trailer

NNJLandman
04-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Hey how many of you guys are insured, my business is picking up a bit and I'm not insured....any advice.

Jeff