PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle - A tax write off??

KirbysLawn
06-06-2003, 02:38 AM
Was thinking how I would like to have a motorcycle, nothing fancy just something to ride around. Was thinking of making a mobile spraying set-up and pull it with the cycle.

Since it's hot and I must spray in jeans and long sleeves in the summer I figured it would be great to cool down betwen jobs. Any comments or reasons why this would not be a legit setup or tax write off?

JB1
06-06-2003, 07:54 AM
You got to have some way to go see customers and give estimates. Although my accountant wouldn't't let me write off my jet ski, said IRS wouldn't't believe I needed it to mow an island in the middle of the river.

Green in Idaho
06-06-2003, 12:36 PM
even if you REALLY did use it for business, you would have to prorate the business and personal use.

Use it 5% for biz you deduct 5% of the cost. It's not 100% and an IRS agent is NOT going to believe you use it 100% for biz unless you have an odometer/or hour meter and can document the biz mileage.

An ATV though is more likely and more functional as REAL biz equipment.

The Green Way
06-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Why not put a sprayer on the back of the motorcycle! I bet it could hold a couple gallon container and then take a pic with you on it for promotional purposes! That would seem to be a good way to get a 100% write off, even if the spayer can pop off the bike with a screw or two LOL