PDA

View Full Version : Advice

clewis
06-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Recently purchased a house on 3 acres and am interested in purchasing a low end commercial lawn mower. Ideally I would like to buy a zero-turn-riding mower. With that in mind, I have been scanning postings for information, recommendations, comments... etc (great web site). Ideally I would like to be able to cut the 3 aces in about one hour. Not to many tress and there is a moderate slop. There is a local tractor dealer five miles from my house that sells Exmark, Kubota and Scag. I have somewhat narrowed my search to the following:

- Scagg Tiger Cub
- Kubota ZD
- Exmark Laser HP

Looking at a 50" to 60" deck with a powerful engine. Can't get anything bigger (deck size), because it wont fit in my shed. The local dealer has a Tiger Cub 61" deck with a 25HP engine for $6699. Is this a good price? Any idea what the Laser HP or Kubota ZD might cost? Pros / cons to any of these?

Planning on testing these over the weekend, but was hoping someone might be able to provide some guidance as to which one might be better.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

CoachLinz
06-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Where in Maryland? I could cut it for you. It's going to be hot soon. You really don't want to go out there every week and get all sweaty when you could be enjoying life in your air condition house, do you?

Just kidding! (well, sort of - I'd love to pick up another big lawn like that)

Anyway, I've heard good things about the Exmark while looking around for my own possible ZTR purchase.

clewis
06-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Western Howard County. Might be a little bit of a drive for you.

CoachLinz
06-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Yeah, that is a bit of a haul. Oh well. Good luck with the ZTR. Like I said, I've heard good things about the Exmark. Don't know too much about the others.

Speedy
06-06-2003, 07:54 PM
We have a Kubota ZD 21 with a 60" deck and 2 Scags, 61" and a 48" deck. The Kubota will run you somewhere around 9 to 10 thousand. The Scag Tiger Cub is selling for 5995 right now, that is with a 48" deck. Just traded a Scag WB for one today. We like the Kubota because of the diesel engine.. Can't go wrong with either..

nelbuts
06-06-2003, 09:38 PM
You should do great with a Tiger Cub. either 48" or 52" oh and just so you know before you spend the extra bucks. A 52' is only 8% faster than the 48" so save the bucks.

Lawn-Scapes
06-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Would you consider buying a well maintained used Lazer Z? ;)

ple_1969
06-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Clewis,

I am a homeowner and was in the same boat as you except I have 4 acres. Either the Scag or the Exmark will do just fine for your needs. I canít really chime in about the Kubota since I donít know too much about them.

The Exmark and the Scag are commercial units that will cut your lawn beautifully. Since they are commercial mowers they can take a lot of abuse. You will have this mower for years since you can out up to 2000 hours with proper maintenance.

To choose between the two is like choosing between Ford and Chevy. You will have folks on this forum that love the Exmark and dislike the Scag and vise-versa. Your best bet is to speak to the local dealer and arrange a demo of each mower at your home. This way you can see what mower you feel most comfortable with. As I said, you canít go wrong with either mower and it might just come down to what feels better in your opinion.

For me, I chose an Exmark Lazer Z with the 60Ē deck. I live in New Jersey and found a great deal on this mower in Maryland which was worth the trip. The unit was 6 months old and had 25 hours on it. The landscaping company went out of business and they were wheeling and dealing. If I didnít get the Lazer then I would have gotten the 52Ē Lazer HP. I was sticking with the Exmark since there are 2 dealers in my area.

One other mower to look at is the Excel Hustler. Itís a ZTR that is made with professional parts that is marketed toward the homeowner. This is a nice machine. I would have considered this ZTR as well, but there wasnít a dealer in my area. Before you make your decision take a good look at them.

Good luck in your searchÖ.

Pete