PDA

View Full Version : Flyer work

Grassrootz
06-07-2003, 03:11 AM
Please comment on my flyer. I am new to the business, but have a marketing and sales background, along with computer skills to make most of my own flyers, business cards, website, and logo's.
Since I am new I would like for comments on my most recent flyer that is about to go to print.

Thanks...grassrootz

MacLawnCo
06-07-2003, 12:44 PM
looks pretty snazzy. I like it alot. How do you plan to distribute them?

Green in Idaho
06-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Nice!

I personally don't care for it when people put the fish or other Christian implications in their business image --as if by being Christian implies something about one's business. There are too many examples to the other course... TV evangelists top the list right after Catholic priests, followed by a thousand others. I think it repels more than it attracts.

But that's your personal choice.

Grassrootz
06-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
looks pretty snazzy. I like it alot. How do you plan to distribute them?

First run is 1000 of them, and I will be placing them door to door. Other cost effective suggestions please share.

I actually revised this a little last night and printed 4 per page, cut them with a fiskars rotary cutter setting it up so I only had to do 2 cuts, which made some real nice flyers. This brought my cost down to only .03 cents a flyer, or $30.00 per 1000. When I start refilling my own ink cartridges I will be able to keep the cost down around $12.00 to $15.00 per 1000 flyers. Sure beats Office Max which wanted to charge me .59 cents a color copy, which would end up costing $590.00 per 1000 :D

I will also be making my own door hangers soon.

Rustic Goat
06-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Looks very good!
You asked for critique, looking at whole sheet, eye is drawn down to darker green at bottom.
I realize that's where your phone number is, but this isn't a POP ad, I'd rather make the business name a little larger and more the focal point, they'll find the phone number.

But, it is very good, professional quality look. Ever do this as a side line? Might be interested.
Good luck Galveston

ksland
06-07-2003, 11:21 PM
I also print my own stuff on an inkjet, the only drawback is dont let them get wet
:eek:

Grassrootz
06-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
Looks very good!
You asked for critique, looking at whole sheet, eye is drawn down to darker green at bottom.
I realize that's where your phone number is, but this isn't a POP ad, I'd rather make the business name a little larger and more the focal point, they'll find the phone number.

But, it is very good, professional quality look. Ever do this as a side line? Might be interested.
Good luck Galveston

Yes, what do you need? Do you have a website? or the need for one? Wasn't sure since you live in Louisiana! :D Just joking!!!

most of my family live in Eunice, LA.

Thanks for the tips.

ElephantNest
06-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Looks great. Lose the fish.

polecat63
06-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Looks great! Keep the fish! Be bold in your faith!

Grassrootz
06-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Looks great. Lose the fish.

I know this is not the forum to be talking about our religious ways, but I will make a breif comment since the fish appears to be in question. btw, thanks for sharing your views, and comments!

As far as removing the fish I'll have to pray about that... I believe I already have the answer since God told me to put it on there in the first place, and he is the one who placed me in this business. Success stories to follow.

Originally posted by polecat63
Looks great! Keep the fish! Be bold in your faith!

Thanks for the support brother! I prayed about it today in church and was looking for confirmation, and now I have yours with many others I have talked to.

Thanks to all... Grassrootz

Rustic Goat
06-08-2003, 10:08 PM
I know you posted that you are keeping the fish symbol on your flyer, but if you ever have any doubts, somewhere down the line you'd be asked 'Why did you take my symbol off your work?'

I'd rather tell a non-believer why 'they' should seek the truth, and not hide or be ashamed of it.

Fellow Believer

Grassrootz
06-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
I know you posted that you are keeping the fish symbol on your flyer, but if you ever have any doubts, somewhere down the line you'd be asked 'Why did you take my symbol off your work?'

I'd rather tell a non-believer why 'they' should seek the truth, and not hide or be ashamed of it.

Fellow Believer

Thanks.... AMEN

ElephantNest
06-08-2003, 11:29 PM
No offense meant. I've been in this biz for almost 20 years. You know the ONE group of people I have consitantly been burned by? Holy rollin', back stabbing, "Look at me I'm Christian" type. Not the ones like me, my family, or friends, or many of you I'm sure. I mean the ones who upon hearing them speak for the first time let you know that they are God fearing, bring God up in almost every sentence, and have crosses and fish and Jesus pictures up all over the place. Now I may get flamed for this, don't really care....like I said...no offense meant. But it's not something I can ignore, I tried for years. When I meet a customer for the first time, and they open their mouth and "God" or "Jesus" pours out, I get paid up front or I leave them to find someone else. Sad, really, but I have to think about me and my business first, and I'm not setting myself up for any more burns. I really think it comes down to some folks think, or act like at least, that with God on their shoulders everywhere they go, that they can just walk over people and ask for forgiveness later. Someone comes to my door talking bibles, they get asked to leave and not come back. I see someone with a Fish or cross on their WORK truck, I look for someone else. Sad but true. I was born and raised Methodist, I love God and all He stands for, I love life, friends, family, and this great country. But there is a TIME & PLACE for everything.

End rant.

~Nest

Rustic Goat
06-09-2003, 12:03 AM
When is there not a proper time for God or Jesus? Raised Methodist? Likewise. By your comments, do you spurn your own minister, or do you attend church ?
Aren't you having an extreme case of judging the book by its cover? How do know that EVERYONE of these people you talk about not hiring or not trusting is in fact a carbon copy of someone from your past?

Yes, some of the jerkiest people (disgusting really) have been those that have hidden behind the cloth or bible thumpers that can stand up and quote every word chapter and verse from the book.
But can't you tell in about 30 seconds that they are what they are?
At the same time the description also fits some of the best people in the world that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting/knowing.

Look, I know this isn't a pulpit stage, and the questions aren't really meant for you to answer, but maybe, hopefully just think about it some. Everyone that's ever picked up a bible or walked into a church isn't your enemy. Many can be, many won't be.

Just trying to dissuade your seemingly very negative attitude a little. Give some of us believers a chance, OK?

ElephantNest
06-09-2003, 01:27 AM
LOL

I have no enemies in church. Negative attitude? Simply stating the facts. I don't spurn anyone. Like I said, I simply walk away and let someone else have it if they won't pay me up front. Don't jump on my case for telling you how it is. There is no "someone from my past" that haunts me into misjudging people. I call it as I see it. I have met some of the nicest people in church, you're really missing my whole point here. As I said, holy rollers. Not the adverage church going person. I think it's rude to push your religion down anyone's throat, even just a little. Knock at my door with a Bible and you'll get that door closed in your face. Knock on my door with many other things, and the same thing would happen. ( not girl scout cookies)

See, already you're on some high horse, with your " Give some of us believers a chance" babble. Didn't I mention I AM a believer? Did I in any way insult anyone or anyone's religion? I merely said that IMHO the ones who feel it necessary to tell you of their beliefs in their first breath to you are the ones to watch.

I've read the bible, I've been on my knees to pray, I treat others well, and take nothing that is not mine. I'm a believer, buddy, believe it.

And if I read it correctly, he asked for our comments. I think it's only fair that he knows that some people will avoid him, and his business. And I have heard many others that feel the same as I do. Christians or not, church goers or not, the VAST MAJORITY of people would prefer you not push your beliefs onto them. Not that the fish is pushing, but it sure is a warning to me.

"When is there not a proper time for God and Jesus?"

Just because I don't go around telling people of my faith, and put fish on my cars, flyers, etc., does not mean I don't have time for Jesus or God. But I can seperate the times when it should be spoken of or displayed.

Auroris
06-09-2003, 01:27 AM
REALLY nice flyer! Awesome work. What kind of paper are you using to print?

Just curious, as I did all of my own brochures and cards. Getting ready to make a run of flyers... need to finish the design.

As for the fish - please keep it. You know who you are, and so does your Father. No reason in the world to be embarrassed by that. It's about time that more good folks supported each other.

Best wishes!

Green in Idaho
06-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Auroris
It's about time that more good folks supported each other.
Best wishes!

"Good folks"?????
As if some people are not 'good folks'... How Christian is THAT?
[ I could add a whole lot here but I'll refrain to spare the topic of this thread and I'll start one in Business}

Auroris
06-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
"Good folks"?????
As if some people are not 'good folks'... How Christian is THAT?
[ I could add a whole lot here but I'll refrain to spare the topic of this thread and I'll start one in Business}
It sounds like this was probably not taken in the context I'd imagined it would be. After re-reading my post, that's understandable. The implication phrased does not reflect my sentiment... my apologies for any offense.

It's late and there's work tomorrow, so let's not get stuck on something like this and build a bonfire.

Rustic Goat
06-09-2003, 02:30 AM
~Nest
Why do you start your reply with "LOL"?

Definition of spurn= 'To reject or refuse, scorn.'
Your words="I see someone with a fish or cross on their WORK truck, I look for someone else."

I am not (didn't) jumping on your case, like I said, asking you to think about some things. I did not miss your point, if you'll read my post, you'll read where I said I'd run into the same kind of people you wrote of. I also stated it doesn't take long to figure those types out. I'd rather give someone of moment of my time to see, the have a 'reject them' attitude.

I am not on any high horse, and I do not babble, would ask that you go back and read my post, don't you think I could wording and said things quite differently if I were?

The fish symbol on Grass Roots flyer is a statement of his beliefs, it doesn't mean that if you talk to him he's going to push anything down anyones throat. Yes, he asked for opinions, you gave yours on your first post, then came back with a lengthy put down on the displaying of religious symbols, that's when I responded to your post, trying to understand. You say your Christian, Methodist, your 2+2 don't add up.
There is not a second that every single one of us does not owe to the LORD and Christ.
There is a basic concept that we are all charged with -being shepherds-, is that not all someone at your door with scripture is trying to do, make sure you have the word. No you don't have to 'buy' their product, but you don't have to "close the door in their face" either.

You have a really nice life, I in no way have intended to offend you, sorry if either post came across that way.

ElephantNest
06-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Why the "LOL"? Because you make me laugh, saying that everyone in church is not my enemy, and that my attention to the one type of people who have ripped me off must somehow be a figure in my past clouding my judgement. I "LOL" because of your "Give us believers a chance" ****, that's not babble?? I merely state my previous dealings with these types, and now my Methodist and Christianity don't add up. "2+2" LOL

Hmmmm

If a person who is speaking to me for the first time, mentions God and how wonderful their life is with Him, yada, yada, yada, and then punches me in the face, I'd walk away. Happened again, I'd take note. If it happened for 20 years, over and over, darn right I'm going to stay back a few feet next time I run into one. OK, so noone's punched me in the face, but taking my money, or making me work for free is worse. Punch me please, much rather have a little blood than lose money. SO........to watch out for ME, I ( understandably?) keep my distance from the "Holy Roller" type. My choice, and guess what? I haven't been burned for payment in over 3 years. Coincidence? I think not.

Oh, just so YOU know, not that it matters to me or God, but I LOVE MY LORD, and what he stands for.......but anyone who hides behind Him to gain for themselves or take away from others, is barely a man.

I'll pray for you that you don't continue your "holier than thou" attitude, and that you'll learn not to knock someone or doubt their beliefs just because you don't agree with them.

Grassrootz
06-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
LOL

I have met some of the nicest people in church, you're really missing my whole point here. As I said, holy rollers. Not the average church going person. I think it's rude to push your religion down anyone's throat, even just a little. Knock at my door with a Bible and you'll get that door closed in your face. Knock on my door with many other things, and the same thing would happen. ( not girl scout cookies)

ElephantNest,

I have read all of your comments and this is the one I believe stands out the most, and I agree with you on this. It is very sad when others feel as if the Lord is telling them to spread the Word to everyone they see and to bring them kicking and screaming to Jesus. Most of them have just been taught wrong in while in church. I do believe the best way we can spread the Word of Jesus is to show it by example, not having to speak it... let see action. If you or anyone else is truly living the Word and not beating down everyone's throat, then when the non believer is in trouble or needs help they will more than likely turn to you for strength. We as believers should always understand we can not whatsoever, bring any one to accept Jesus or the gospel. Only Jesus can do it, and he will not force anyone to obey him, you have to make the choice to believe fully or not believe. If you truly believe then you will ask the father to guide you in every step, decision you make.

I am not one to beat this into anyone. I only put the fish on there, to display that I am a Christian, and say no more unless they bring it up. I will then hopefully use a little discernment to determine when I should share the word if the Lord wishes me to do so. I always hated people knocking on my door before I was a believer and still do today.

I pray each believer would not scream and shout the gospel to the lost, and they would just be an example to all.

ElephantNest
06-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Amen, brother.

GrassQuester
06-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Im not sure about the fish thing but i would add the last 4 digits to my phone # LOL.

Grassrootz
06-10-2003, 06:48 PM
bwahahah:D

Zattpazz
06-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Grassrootz,
Looks nice...very professional.

Where can you buy the "door hanger" stock?

Take care,
Zattpazz

Grassrootz
06-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Zattpazz
Grassrootz,
Looks nice...very professional.

Where can you buy the "door hanger" stock?

Take care,
Zattpazz

I have not found a cheap enough place to buy precut door hangers, so I am making my own. If anyone finds a place with a good price please share it with the rest of us.

Thanks...rootz

lawndreamer
06-11-2003, 10:36 AM
I agree with you one hundred percent. Some christians are the most back stabbing, theiving, arrogant people I've met. I also know a bunch like, like you said you know, that are really good people. It's the bunch that, as exactly as you said, let everyone know the first time they speak, that they are a christian, they are the ones i'd keep my eye on. Some christians are the best people in the world. Like my pastor. I believe all christians are perfect, in God's eyes. Folks that aren't perfect are those that haven't put their trust in what Christ has said. Everyone can agree with that. I also believe going to heaven, or anything like that, has anything to do with how good a person is. one verse of scripture then I'll shut up Paul says in Romans "When I do good, evil is present with me." Now why would he say that. It's good to have a fish on my flyer (no offense) It's good to tell people about God right? A lot of things are good. It's good to go to church, it's good to read bible, pray, and all things Christians say it's right to do. Well Paul says when he does those good things evil is present with him. There is the problem Elephantnest, christians try to do so good that evil is present. The evil is one of the things God hates (PRIDE) I hope I didn't offend anyone. Christians should do nothing for their faith. God likes that more than blabbing our mouths about how good he has been to us. Especially for ex. when a christian gets an unexpected check in the mail, or electric bill is extremely low, they give God credit for it all. God don't work like that. Look at Paul's life did it work like that for him? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawndreamer
06-11-2003, 10:37 AM
BTW nice flyer

lawn perfection
06-13-2003, 12:58 PM
NICE FLYER. AS FAR AS THE FISH GOES, DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT. THERE IS GOOD AND BAD IN ALL.

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Drop the fish thing . Even though I believe in god I will not use a company that advertises that . A lot of companies that were"Christian"owned have screwed people over and hide behind god and cry religious persecution when they screw up .

yz250fpilot
07-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Here is my latest......I specify the subdivision my flyer goes out in....underneath the tree. I feel it makes it a bit more "personal."

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jul/20037156622568055933311.jpg

Grassrootz
07-16-2003, 10:25 AM
Good Job! Nice content! I like the personal touch, and I have found the response rate is much higher if you pre-quote the price out. It shows you have taken the time to look at their yard. Also eliminates the step of estimating the property, and all you have to do is collect the money!

How are you distributing them?

If you have already what has your response rate been like?

Do you hand write in the rate or do you pre-print it?

Good Luck!

yz250fpilot
07-16-2003, 10:04 PM
I usually look throughout the subdivision and get an idea on the lot sizes and preprint a price. I will use this price for all homes in the subdivision. Doing so makes "Bob" feel better when he finds out his neighbor "Joe" is paying the same as him for lawncare and neither is getting the better deal.

The only time I seem to possibly be giving up a better deal to someone is when a customer ends up having a larger corner lot......such as one I picked up today. However, the lady today with the large corner lot called me at home this evening and left me a message saying "I am very pleased with the job you did on my lawn today, and if I know anyone else that needs their lawn done, I will recommend you." Word of mouth is a great way to grow business.

I normally distribute the flyers by driving and placing them in between the mailbox flag and the mailbox, or if I feel like getting some exercise, I will walk a subdivision. I normally pick days when there is no rain forecasted for a day or two, and my prints are always in color (b&w gets no attention). My response percentage averages around 4%, but with the word of mouth from those customers, I would be close to saying it is about double that.

AltaView
07-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Grassrootz
I have not found a cheap enough place to buy precut door hangers, so I am making my own. If anyone finds a place with a good price please share it with the rest of us.

Thanks...rootz

I just placed on order for 1000 doorhangers in a blank stock with the holes cutout already. I went with a 3up or 3/page layout. They were on a flourescent card stock and the cost was $18.80 plus shipping. Got them from door-hangers-direct.com. Should have them in a week or so. Can send them through laser, copier or offset press.

AltaView

Grassrootz
07-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by AltaView
I just placed on order for 1000 doorhangers in a blank stock with the holes cutout already. I went with a 3up or 3/page layout. They were on a flourescent card stock and the cost was $18.80 plus shipping. Got them from door-hangers-direct.com. Should have them in a week or so. Can send them through laser, copier or offset press.

AltaView

Thanks... I appreciate it, that price is awesome!!!

mak2
09-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Sorry, forget I was here

twindiddy
09-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Here is my latest......I specify the subdivision my flyer goes out in....underneath the tree. I feel it makes it a bit more "personal."

I've used this to. I think you'll get a better response.

twindiddy
09-19-2005, 09:22 PM

AltaView

yeah, that's a great price.

Team Gopher
09-20-2005, 09:24 PM
<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=1&t=1296&st=&&#entry7582) </font></marquee>

It is a great thing to alter your flyers and see what works best. Change one element at a time and find which gives you the best return.

<table width=100%>
<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/gopher_palm_banner_2.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=1478&st=&&#entry8241)</td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=898).Make your own logo Free (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=1453).</center>