PDA

View Full Version : Best wy for 17 year old to get mulch jobs?

mrusk
06-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Hey i am 17 and am going to start mowing lawns next year. I am waiting until next year so i can pay cash for all the equipment and not start out in debt.

In the mean time i would like to get some mulching jobs. The question is how does a 17 year old get them. My mom talked to some of her friends and they said they would give me 8 bucks an hour to pull weeds. I laughed at my mom. Heck i get 12 bucks framing houses now. I told my mom to tell them 40bucks a yard spread and she said they wouldnt pay that much.

So how do i get mulching jobs were people will pay me the same amount as if i were an adult. I am 6'1 180, i can mulch just at fast and well as anyone else. I figure i will put some flyers up in the local deils and business and see if anything comes up. Anyone have any other tips?

matt

ElephantNest
06-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Knock on some doors, look for yards that have gardens that need attention, and simply tell them that you're in the neighborhood for the next few weeks doing garden maintenence. Sign 'em up.

grassyfras
06-07-2003, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't' t tell people how many yards your going to put down. I get my mulch from the nurseries and every time I go there I get a different amount. Another thing, this might make people think your alittle less expensive instead of telling them like 60 a yard or whatever your hourly rate is for mulching. For some reason I think people rather you just tell them a price of $200 instead of saying it will be 3 or 4 yards of mulch at $60 a yard

Cooper Landscaping
06-08-2003, 01:12 AM
The best way I have found to get jobs without being "discriminated" against is fliers. Make proffesional fliers and once you do a job, get permission from the customer to use before and after pictures on your fliers. Go out and make a whole ton of copies and start going door to door with them. We handed out just over 400 fliers for leaf cleanups and got close to 40 or 45 calls. I had one guy i talked to and we set up a face to face meeting...when i rang the doorbell i got a "what are you here for." And winds up he was so pleased with the job we did he gave our flier to the real estate agent handling the sale of the house. So it really doesnt matter how old you are just do quality work, always appear professional, and good luck
-Coop

BSDeality
06-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Had a similar situation the other day happen to me. had a guy call about mowing and i agreed to meet him @ 11am at his property for an estimate. I pulled up (without my equipment) and rang the bell, he came out and was like "can i help you?" After i told him who i was and the whole 9 yards he said "so... you're not cutting class now or anything like that are you?" I do look young and i get that from people all the time, it doesn't bother me anymore

btw, Cooper Landscaping, you wouldn't happen to be related to a mulch/landscape place in Danbury would ya?

mrusk
06-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Ok guys i will do flyers. I have great computer skills so i can proably come up with something good. My next question is how do you guys distribute them? Do you put them on doors? or in mail boxes?

Even though i don't have a real company yet can i still put
'Ruszkiewicz Landscape Managment' on the top of the flyer? That is the name I plan on going with when i turn 18?

I plan on going to talk to the local mulch guy tommoror and see how much mulch will cost me.

matt

Lanelle
06-08-2003, 01:45 PM
DO NOT put flyers on the mailboxes. It's illegal. Look on the business forum to see lots of discussion about flyers and distributing them.

mottster
06-08-2003, 10:12 PM
here in town we have a free Christian Business Directory that you can pick up at YMCA's or many churches...lots of people pick those up...i have a friend who received all 20 of his new mowing clients this year from placing his ad in there. I think there's a small fee but you can be sure that you'll be working for good people who will pay you...and people that look in there are expecting good people so you hafta keep your act together so you don't give it a bad rep.

We also have a Penny Power that gets put on doors around here...has for sale stuff in there and i think services provided.

try those.

Cooper Landscaping
06-08-2003, 10:35 PM
mrusk
as lanelle said DO NOT put the fliers in the mailboxes. I know its more of pain but all of our fliers were taped to the doors. We printed them on light lue or hot green papaer so theyre pretty impossible to miss.

BSDeality-
nope no relation- i just saw one of their trucks the other day- had never heard of them before to be honest lol

-Coop

CoachLinz
06-09-2003, 01:36 PM
On delivering flyers - check to see if the neighborhoods you would like to work in have a newspaper slot next to or below the actual mailbox. You can put them in there. I hit 1 neighborhood yesterday. Took me about 40 minutes. Picked up 2 lawns on the spot from people who were outside when I walked up. Within an hour, I also received a call about a mulch job and another lawn. Gave him an estimate an hour later and he signed on too. I haven't been in this business long myself - officially only 2 weeks - but I come from a business background and I try to work smarter, not harder on this kind of stuff. Since I've lived in this town for 26 of my 28 years, I know the area well. I've been careful to pick the neighborhoods where I know they can afford to pay for good service and won't just look for the cheapest.
When you make up the flyers, save some paper and make them half-sheet - 2 per page and then cut them on a paper cutter. And keep it simple, the most effective advertising is catchy, yet simple and to the point.