PDA

View Full Version : Small project

leadarrows
06-08-2003, 12:07 AM
I put this together for a client in December of last year he bought an old car he wanted put inside so he need to put his boat some where. I know its not very dramatic but you have to start some where. I thought it turned out ok. If you see something I should do different next time I'm all ears.... err well eyes in this case.LOL

leadarrows
06-08-2003, 12:09 AM
One more.

NCSULandscaper
06-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Looks good to me. If the customer is happy with the results then its a job well done.

AGLA
06-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Since you asked...

For purely aesthetic reasons, I would like to see some visual separation between the house and the gravel along the back of the house to break the industrial look. It could be a narrow bed with a trellis if room is an issue. Not only as separation, but some vegetation to soften the house and dress it up. If there was enough room, and obviously in this case there is not, It would be nicer to have a foundation planting separate it to finish off the landscape and transition the house to it.

As it is, the back corner of that house has an unlandscaped look when viewed from the rest of the back yard. Again, I am not criticising your work, but making a suggestion on what might be done in ideal circumstances ... plenty of room, willing client, ....

leadarrows
06-08-2003, 07:35 AM
AGLA For a different client your ideas would be good but this is a single guy that could care less about flowers and such. He even had me haul off his grandmothers bird bath and pull out some nice bushes. They love there new home with the wife and I. LOL
I really do love getting paid to do work that involves bringing home goodies that make the wife smile.:D

I think my biggest mistake was not running the gutter drain under the gravel and exit that wall so that down spout would not have to be in the way.

ZX12R
06-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Looks like you did a nice job,i like it.Would you mind sharing your cost and what you charged the customer?

Turf Medic
06-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Does the siding on that house really look that way or is it something that the camera is doing? I noticed on another thread you started that the siding looked the same. I've never seen anything like that.

BSDeality
06-09-2003, 08:45 AM
its just the digital camera making it look like that.

leadarrows
06-09-2003, 12:16 PM
ZX12R Ill have too look it up.Check later.

As for the wavy siding.
I think its because I usually post pictures with the camera set in VGA which will post with out resizing. I had the camera set to take these pictures at 3M and had to resize them. I needed the better pictures for working with some land scape designs.

turfcare
06-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Good Job! AGLA has some good suggestions but none the less you did a great job.

leadarrows
06-10-2003, 04:32 PM
ZX12R
I would have to figure out the material cost and I don't have time. But I do no what I made I get that figure with the click on the reports in Quick Books. I made a thousand and some spare change on that job I spent parts of two weekends working on it.
I had 21 hours in that job I did go in and add that up. If you want a complete copy of the invoice minus clients name. I would be willing to e-mail you that if this is not enough info. I do remember that I didn't mark-up the wall stone I made my money on a haul fee for delivering them. I hauled the stone as well. So I was able to make some of my profit from the seat of my dump truck.:)

ZX12R
06-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Leadarrows,thats not necessary,i was just curious because I have never built a wall using that size stone. Normally,I use mini-creta as they are easy to handle.Also,the wall is,at most,2' off the ground. I will posts pics one day. What kind of base did you use,how deep,and did you use a machine to dig or did you dig using hand tools like shovels and pics? Your willingness to share your invoice was greatly appreciated............thanks!

leadarrows
06-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Hand tools like shovels and pics. Six inches of crushed lime stone. Hand tamped. Then as I set the first course I used this over-sized rubber hammer to pound the stone down into the base. I had to take out or add stone to level the first course. I used string line and a level. I don't have a surveyors set up but it's on my wish list.
The first course was most of the work it went pretty easy after that. I had to cut a couple of them to keep the stones over lapping. I just got a blade for my skill saw and it worked fine. If I ever do another driveway like this I will insist on using the larger stones. This client picked out these in Lowe's and thats what he wanted. Sense I have found Lawnsite I know now that the place I should have gone is the Stone Center. They have the larger stones that I think would resist being pushed out by the force of a vehicle stopping near there edge. The guy has his on snow plow as you can see and the bigger stones would have had a better chance of staying put I think. I also tried to sell him on a garage-port of some kind to put next to his garage for his bass boat but he wouldn't go for it. I bet he ask me to do it in november when its freezing rain.:rolleyes:

Darwin
06-10-2003, 10:30 PM
hey lead ..........where at in central indiana are you?............ there are several retaining wall suppliers around here other then the stone center.

But, I do love that place.

leadarrows
06-10-2003, 11:21 PM
Just north of Anderson. Most of my work is in Hamilton Co. But we go as far west as Plainfield and we have had work just west of Ohio. Small Town can't seem to place the name right now.
Also spend a lot of time in the Zionsville area. The Fishers area has exploded with construction. This job was in Cicero.

Darwin
06-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Lead, just saw your response to my post.

I don't have the info in front of me but I will definately pass it on to you this weekend.

If you do any work in pavers, retaining walls, walkways (slate, marble etc.), I have got a fella you have got to meet.

He goes into high-enda commercial projects that are to be demolished or re-modeled through-out Indy and removes all of the hardscape that he is able to at pennies on the dollar.

Hey that's just money in pocket for the Construction Management Company.

He also gets most of the 2nd's or wrong color runs from the large block manufacturer on the south side close to Brehob's.

He then sells this product to us at an extremely reduced rate.

Sorry for the tease but I couldn't resist, this guy is golden.