PDA

View Full Version : Domain Name

Rex Mann
06-08-2003, 01:16 AM
Interested in having a web site. Been doing research and finding out allot of infomation.

One question I have, which I did not find the answer to, is the following.

For search engine purposes would there be any benifit to having my domain like chicagopavers.com as opposed to this rmstonescaping.com, my company name?

My thinking is if someone goes to a search engine and types in chicago+pavers my site would come up. Is this how it works?

Peace,

Rex

mtdman
06-08-2003, 12:04 PM
It's not so much the address as the meta information, your hit totals, and where you submit the site for search engines. meta tags are where you put your descriptions for your site, keywords, etc. Those are very important.

CentralMassWeb
06-09-2003, 10:16 AM
The biggest misinformation about websites is search engine placement. If you talk to 10 web professionals, you might get 5 different answers to this.

In my view this is what help search engines...and you can see where I get some of my info...

http://www.webmasterworld.com/

Meta tags and Keywords are your best start! Get good keywords and phrases that you want to be seen under and put those into your meta tags.

Page text---------
Make sure to use your keywords and phrases in your page text. Your homepage should fall between 275 and 550 words. Your meta info should be repeated throughout but not more than 5 times for each word

Submission---------
Submit your page to www.dmoz.org, this independant, human reviewed listing supplies google and other major search engines.
Then you can find some additional engines to submit to.

Good Luck...and don't forget that it could take 6 weeks for you to even show in a single search engine.

Just a note....
Search Engine optimization is not guaranteed and begines at $1500 for my service...but I do all of the above in consultation with the website owner.

Turboguy
06-16-2003, 11:59 PM
First, you would stand a little better chance of getting someone to your site who typed in a seach for chicago+pavers. You might have a lower chance of someone finding you that is actually looking for you and typing your name in.

Central Mass and mtd are right the key is getting your meta tags right and getting in the search engines which is getting tougher. The keywords tag is ignored by most search engines these days but you still need it. The title and description are very important. If you really want to get into the subject there are lots of sources including a number of very active forums devoted to the subjet. You could check out www.ScrubTheWeb.com you can type in your url and it will analize your meta tags and make suggestions. There is also a lot of good info as well as free registration of your site at www.selfpromotion.com.

Team Gopher
07-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi Rex Mann,

On this topic that you posted a question on:
"For search engine purposes would there be any benifit to having my domain like chicagopavers.com as opposed to this rmstonescaping.com, my company name?"

Here is just a view on this. If you are thinking of having two domains for your company and you like both, you can register both. In fact you can register as many as you come up with and have them all link to one web site.
When developing a web site name, a thought is to have a name someone can remember and tell their friend about or neighbor when the question arises. Try to keep the domain name simple and short.