PDA

View Full Version : Pre-med to landscaping...

Kohls Landscaping Co
06-08-2003, 12:55 PM
This isn't a question or anything, but I thought I would just back-up how well the landscaping industry is doing as a whole.

I am 19 and have been mowing and landsaping since 1995 with the help of an older brother. My older brother graduated from high school with a 4.26 GPA and is at the University of Dayton in pre-med and is carrying a 3.9 GPA. He is in a program where he is already accepted in the University of Cincinatti's medical school. With all this going for him, he just asked me the other day if he could go into the landscaping business with me. Next year we are going to be running two crews and he will help me expand while I am majoring in Landscape Horticulture at OSU.

I believe that it is easily possible to become more successful in the landscaping business than becoming a doctor as my brother and I will prove. I just thought I'd share this with you guys...

ElephantNest
06-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Less lawsuits too.payup

BSDeality
06-08-2003, 05:38 PM
I'm finishing up my BS in computer info systems, specializing in networking this coming december. I've been lookin for a job since Jan 02, 2003 without finding ONE opening that would hire me. There just isn't any room in this economy (thanks dubya) for entry level computer geeks. So I've decided that I'm going to finish my BS in CIS and then start on a horticulture/landscape degree and work outside for the rest of my life :)

grassyfras
06-08-2003, 06:45 PM
I have a cousin who had a very nice lawn business for years. He sold his half to his partner when he was 30 or so and decided to go into pre-med. Hes just now becoming a family doctor at close to 40 years old. He says he thinks he would be happy doing either or. I'm glad your brother is doing what he wants to do.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-09-2003, 03:01 AM
if you love your brother tell him NO ,He can start a lawn business after he becomes a doctor.. i don't care how much money you make or how much you love the lawn business . we are a dime a dozen that a fact just look at your phone book.Tell him to stay in school so he can have something to fall back on.then he can do both if he likes

Kohls Landscaping Co
06-09-2003, 09:20 AM
I kinda see where you are coming from, however....

(1) He will be spending 4 years in medical school and 3 years in residency (which is not too exciting for him).
(2) He does not particularly like the idea of having a $120,000 debt when done with medical school.
(3) Currently, insurance companies are basically determining what doctors are making becuase of the what they will 'pay.'
(4) Never being outside during the day is not how he has grown up.

As for having the landscaping company as for something to 'fall back on,' I think the four things I mentioned above state that it is not as simple as you make it out to be.

Also, yes, I do love my brother. It was his idea to ask me to go into landscaping with me. I don't see how having him not becoming a doctor is not loving him (what the hell???). He is doing something that he loves and it's not being forced on him by anyone else.

Last of all, in today's economy and society it takes risks to become successful. It doesn't happen overnight and nothing is guaranteed.

mdvaden
06-09-2003, 10:18 PM
You have me curious.

Did the basis for GPA change in the last 20 years?

When I went, a 4.0 was the highest.

A = 4
B = 3
C = 2

How did he get over a 4.0 in the first post?

Lanelle
06-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Regarding the 4.0+ GPA, yes things have changed. Students in high school who take advanced placement courses get higher weighted grades due to the difficulty of the courses so the top students routinely carry a GPA above 4.0.

Another reason for the brother to pursue his degree is that life does not guarantee you perfect physical health so demanding physical work may one day be impossible for any of us. Oh, yeah, that's why we have Doctors isn't it?

Lawn DOG
06-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Do yourself and your brother a big favor. You become succesful at landscaping and your brother pursue his career in the medical field.
Believe me, if your brother wants to be outside he can play golf on the course your keeping care of one day.

Kohls Landscaping Co
06-10-2003, 12:34 AM
Thank you lanelle... yes, times have changed and my brother took many AP (advanced placement) courses during highschool. This would explain his GPA being above a 4.0 and graduating 11th in his class.

As for physical labor, I realize already at the young age of 19 that I am already not able to perform some of physically demanding tasks that I was once able to. This is why my brother and I plan on expanding our company into a multi-million dollar company and be in management positions in 5-10 years. Scoff all you want, but it will happen.

**Just a reminder, I posted this thread to reinforce that the landscape industry has the potential for people to become very successful. Regardless of a person's potential to become a doctor which seems to be the only way today to become very 'rich' in today's society.**

stxkyboy
06-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Im in the same boat! I am selling out this year to pursue premed. i think that ur brother should stay with medicine. Look at it this way your brother wont start working till hes 35 but by age 40 he will have made more money than u did during the years he was in school ( even with the debt) and by age 55 he be able to retire comfortably... as opposed to still wotking his *** off

Mike Bradbury
06-11-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Kohls Landscaping Co
Thank you lanelle... yes, times have changed and my brother took many AP (advanced placement) courses during highschool. This would explain his GPA being above a 4.0 and graduating 11th in his class.

As for physical labor, I realize already at the young age of 19 that I am already not able to perform some of physically demanding tasks that I was once able to. This is why my brother and I plan on expanding our company into a multi-million dollar company and be in management positions in 5-10 years. Scoff all you want, but it will happen.

**Just a reminder, I posted this thread to reinforce that the landscape industry has the potential for people to become very successful. Regardless of a person's potential to become a doctor which seems to be the only way today to become very 'rich' in today's society.**

Can't do stuff at NINETEEN????????? That's just called "out of shape"!!! You won't reach your physical peak for another TEN YEARS!!

I think your bro has his sh*t together. Do what you LIKE, not what OTHER people think has "prestige". Life's too damn short....

fblandscape
06-11-2003, 04:07 AM
I am not going to tell you what to do, or what not to do. However I will tell you that there is an indirect relationship between the $ figure that a landscape company will bring in, and the number of companies that make that amount.

I know a couple of doctors, and one of them in particular I have seen come close to crying because of his monetary issues with insurance companies. However that does not mean that he doesn't have enough money to take SEVERAL vacations each year, and own a lot of real estate. I had just cut the lawn for a pediatrician this past weekend, VERY nice place he isn't a heart surgeon, or brain surgeon or anything like that... just a regular pediatrician. How many landscapers do you know, or know of that live in million dollar homes? Who drive new BMW's or Benz'?

Mike Bradbury
06-11-2003, 09:37 AM
RIGHT, it's ALL about the MONEY!:rolleyes:

Mr Grass
06-11-2003, 02:19 PM
i don't work only for the money.

but, i know that i want to make good money in order to provide for my family well and to live the style of life that i want to live.

so yes, money has a lot to do with they type of profession i choose...

llgardens
06-11-2003, 05:31 PM
well said. I at 29, have been a business owner in the 'green industry for 13 years and have been pleasantly welcomed annually to another good year.

I have found that people are very open to spending money on outdoor services. I find it especially easy to sell an inviting landscape to homeowners who desire to 'vacation in their backyard'.

'Believe in something and you'll go where you Believe'

never a bad idea to have a doctor for trouble shooting...best of luck...and keeeeep trucking!

fblandscape
06-12-2003, 12:00 AM
I wasn't saying that it is all about the money. I was addressing the issue of the quality of live you will be able to obtain.

Mike Bradbury
06-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by fblandscape
I wasn't saying that it is all about the money. I was addressing the issue of the quality of live you will be able to obtain.

Again you repeat in different words, "it's all about the money".
As if "quality of life" is related to how much money you have.
Someone with a different outlook might express that quality of life has more to do with health, love, and happiness in their life, none of which come with or are guarenteed by money.
Not my intention to attack you personally, just the message.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-12-2003, 01:31 AM
I have never met a poor doctor. Lets put money a side ,lets face it our bodies will break down as we get older if you do hard labor to pay the bills what happen when you get hurt or can't work.even a doctor in a wheel chair can still work ..i don't care if your business makes a million dollars a year you still have to pay out 800,00 to make it. and have all the problems . With all do respect you are only 19 ,,It sounds like you never lost an important account that you needed to pay your bills, or lost your health, or can't find good help.Will see how you like this business 10 years from now.If your business go down the toilet there will be two families in trouble..good luck in your decision.

fblandscape
06-12-2003, 02:32 AM
I have met 1 poor doctor in my years. The guy still lives in a probably 2,500 - 3,000 sq ft house. However it isn't maintained very well. But the guy used to do work with cancer patients, his health has been failing him for the past several years so he has not been working. His wife died, but he still isn't in the poor house. Last I talked with him he was talking about going back to work to make some money, and to have something to do with himself. Now this guy is probably in his 70's and he is physically able to go back and do the work. Try digging holes, and lifting plants or pavers at that age.

Mike, I understand that money isn't everything to everybody. However I have a good friend who lives in squaller because of monetary issues. He doesn't make much money at all and lives in a dump. He has many friends though and in a lot of respects he is happy with his life. However if I ever had to live in a garbage heap like that I would buy a gun and well... you know :cry: I will agree with you that all people have different standards of living, but if I got into how he lives, you would NEVER call that living.

DaddyRabbit
06-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by ADLAWNCUTTERS
if you love your brother tell him NO ,He can start a lawn business after he becomes a doctor.. i don't care how much money you make or how much you love the lawn business . we are a dime a dozen that a fact just look at your phone book.Tell him to stay in school so he can have something to fall back on.then he can do both if he likes

This is very good advice, I'd take it.

Kohls Landscaping Co
06-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies so far. Some of the responses have opened my eyes to situations that I didn't seem to put much importance on before I posted this thread. I'll talk to my brother some more and see what we can work out. Thanks again!

Mike Bradbury
06-12-2003, 11:30 AM
We have several retired docs as customers. In the past year 2 of them have gone back to work as they can't afford insurance costs on their retirement income. Apparently they have to continue malpractice for so many years in case someone sues them years later for something they did.
One of my best buds dad was a doc. They canceled MOST of their vacations, he missed most family and social events. he was regularly called out to the hospital at 3AM. His NORMAL week was 60-70 hours. For that he made huge amounts of money.From that he had an estranged wife and children that didn't get to spend any time with him. I thought it was a pretty miserable situation myself. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but the 3 kids all swore they would never marry doctors........

AGLA
06-13-2003, 06:21 AM
The one thing that underlies this entire thread is that it points out that anybody and everybody believes that they can grab a lawn mower and be incredably successful.

The fact is that more and more people believe that and are trying it. The smaller they are the more successful they believe they can be. It makes sense because when you throw a mower into the back of a truck and go to it your overhead is very low.

The temptation is to calculate that if you have 10 x the accounts the percentage of profits will remain. That is not true as you the production rate from owner to employee drops, management of people and billing costs go up, housing of office and equipment goes up, .....

The other problem with the theory that anyone can be successful at the landscape game is that there is more and more competition for competent help as each person that ever mowed a lawn believes he can be more successful at it than his employer.

A normal Joe Average middle aged person is making about $ 50k working 40 hours a week. That is with near zero work related overhead. Many small landscapers that I read posts from on various message boards brag about the business grossing $ 200k in a year. Then they show you pictures of the three very nice trucks, large collection of tools and equipment, and their 3 employees in front of the shop they rent. You do the math.

Compare it to a Doctor.