PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Religion in Business- Why?

Green in Idaho
06-09-2003, 02:56 AM
I understand the forum policy against posts of religion- this is not one of those. It's about advertising....

On second thought I'll defer.

ElephantNest
06-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Sure, put religion in advertising: if you're selling Bibles.

BSDeality
06-09-2003, 08:47 AM
i don't understand it either, but then again I'm very anti-religious. Most people say they want to "show they're good people" well does that make me a bad or untrustworthy worker since I'm not?

EmeraldLawncare
06-09-2003, 10:43 AM
There's nothing wrong with being proud of your religion.

ElephantNest
06-09-2003, 11:58 AM
That wasn't the question.

drobson
06-09-2003, 04:10 PM
I would imagine anyone would want to keep their business as neutral as possible. You don't want to lose business just because a potential client doesn't like your religion.

My view on this is not just for religion, but is for everything.

For instance, I'm a hunter and a Life Member of the NRA, but I would never put a sticker or decal on any of my trucks with that even though I am proud to be a member. The reason is that this is a personal thing and should be completely separate from business. I don't care of one of my clients is an anti-hunter animal activist or not. I'm not going to hang out with them, but I do want their business. The successful buiness person will be able to separate things from their personal life and become a neutral entity; when it comes to running their business that is.

I'm also catholic, but that should have no bearing on whether I can do the job, and my customers have no need to know that level of detail about me.

Grassmechanic
06-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi Dan - from another fellow hunter and NRA lifer!

Mike

drobson
06-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Hey Mike, Nice to hear from a fellow member...

Rustic Goat
06-10-2003, 01:00 AM
Not displaying a religious symbol does not mean that you can't be a good person.
Our maker will determine the good and otherwise when He is ready.
But why does anyone that chooses to display their religious feelings have to be put down by so many of you?

I know ElephantNest is just waiting to pounce, or what ever nested elephants do.

No, I don't see many advertising their NRA affiliations, but I see plenty of Duck Stamp, I'd rather be Fishing, Bass Masters, So and So's Tackle Shop,etc. window decals and bumper stickers, on work vehicles every day in every neighborhood.
Isn't that advertising for those places, and isn't that a way of saying "We approve if you belong to one of these (our) clubs?"

If someone has the guts to display a religious symbol on an ad, don't hold that against them, grade them by personality and quality of work. I doubt they will ask customers to kneel and pray with them on the freshly cut grass when they are finished mowing.

Good Wishes to all

ElephantNest
06-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Get a life, loser. You're the type of person that gives organized religion a bad name. We simply don't have the same views, so now it's time to attack me, and put me down. Real mature. Mr. Hoilier Than Thou, who is above all others that share different opinions on religion. Well, guess what? If you think acting like you do makes you a good Christian, you've got another thing coming. Get a life and quit trying to pretend you're some upstanding Christian. When in all actuality, you're just another hypocrit. I'm through with you, life's too short to keep answering some pig headed, blinder wearing people basher.

Green in Idaho
06-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Rather than revealing one's lack of maturity. Can we address the question? Why?

Why advertise it? This is addressed to those that DO advertise it.

IF you don't advertise it (ElephantNest) you can not have a valid answer to this question- just an overinflated opinion.

I would like to know "why" from those that do...

Rustic Goat
06-10-2003, 12:23 PM
It's a reminder and a statement that everyday, in every way, and in everything we do, say, or accomplish, that the LORD has made it possible, and we owe a debt accordingly.

That is just my opinion, not an attempt to convince or spoon feed it down anyone's throat.

Good Day

goodbeus
06-10-2003, 07:20 PM
I will answer this because I do incorporate religion into my business...I'm sure many of us on hot days are praying for strength, if you're not, you're not doing lawn care on a full time basis...secondly, we have printed on our shirts "Jesus is Lord" and have NEVER lost an account to this...it has never started a debate of any kind out in the field, and I don't push my beliefs onto anyone at all...I've picked up countless accounts just because of that reason and I have a waiting list with new potential clients if I should lose any...so the question is, "Is it a good idea?"...For me, yes...and I have been rewarded because of it...:angel:

BSDeality
06-10-2003, 08:55 PM
I'm now thoroughly convinced its a southern and midwestern "thing". Up here in the northeast I don't think i've ever seen any business that incorporates any religion into their work.

I'm not saying its wrong, i just plumb don't understand it or religion in general, but thats a whole other topic.

Green in Idaho
06-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by goodbeus
I've picked up countless accounts just because of that reason and I have a waiting list with new potential clients if I should lose any...so the question is, "Is it a good idea?"...For me, yes...and I have been rewarded because of it...:angel:

So are you saying you do it because in your market it helps pick up new accounts? Just like putting your phone number on your truck.

Green in Idaho
06-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
I'm now thoroughly convinced its a southern and midwestern "thing".
Do you mean like grits and black-eyed peas?

There is much of it out West, in pockets, too.

I was just thinking of the latinos, and Mexicans in particular. A VERY religious culture but such symbols are not displayed in a business image. BUT walk into to their front door and "Holy Mother of Jesus THAT Cross is BIG!"

goodbeus
06-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
So are you saying you do it because in your market it helps pick up new accounts? Just like putting your phone number on your truck.

Not at all...I just like people to know that we're a Christian company, I never intended it for marketing purposes...:angel:

drobson
06-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Goodbeus,

I'm sure that just like anything else there are people that support religion and would rather give their business to someone in their same religion. I know people that will only do businenss with an Italian company because they are Italian. Maybe they are more comfortable or just want to have their money going towards someone of their own nationality.

On the other hand, someone may not call a company because they are Italian (or for any other reason), but this would only happen if they could tell from the advertising.

This was my only point to posting to this topic. If I stay neutral by not advertising anything other than my services (I now I have my name in my company name, but I don't think my nationality, religion or affiliations are obvious from it) I may get customers that would normally be turned off by some of these things.

Goodbeus, I'm not disagreeing with you that it works well for you. I'm just thinking that when you mentioned you haven't lost any business because of it that you would probably not know that because, if religion is in your advertising, they just would not call if they were turned off by it. Not that you need it in your situation, but your call volume may increase without religion in your advertising. But like it's been stated, this is also a regional thing, so "your" call volume may decrease. I firmly believe that in my area it would decrease.

goodbeus
06-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Drobson, I agree with you about potential clients that may be turned off about our advertising...totally fine by me, but we make a lot of moolah :D already and turn down an average 8 accounts every week...I look at it like this...if they don't like us for whatever reason, that's fine, I have plenty of other new accounts to choose from :D ;)

Green in Idaho
06-11-2003, 07:11 PM
I just like people to know that we're a Christian company,
Why do you want them to know?

Why do you care if they know?

drobson
06-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Goodbeus,

I realized that from your earlier posts, that's why I mentioned that it may not apply in your situation. I'm just thinking of other companies in general. And like I said, not necessarily just for religion, but for other affiliations as well.

I know you understand what I'm talking about, so I'll shutup now :) And I understand your views as well. And of course if it works for you, then it's the right thing to do. Glad to hear your business is doing so well... Hope I'm in that situation very soon...

lawndreamer
06-12-2003, 12:20 AM
I wonder if any of you know where the fish emblem actually came from? Now it is a new fab that christians use. Originally during the crusades it was what seperated real true believers from the Roman Catholics. It was kind of like a code word only an image or actually a drawing in dirt back then. Only the Catholics picked it up and began to use it so that the believers would lead them back to their camp so that the catholics could annhilate them. Hope that doesn't offend any one.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 01:39 AM
I live in a college town, one with lots of different religions. Jews, muslims, buddhists, you name it. And being a college town, filled with lots of liberal people, you can bet that advertising something like religion would get you a bad rep. Sometimes I think people go so far to respect other religions around here that they disrespect Christianity. To the point that when I send out Christmas Cards, I have to find the most non-Christmas Christmas Cards available so as not to offend people.

I don't advertise using religion because I never thought about it. Honestly, I don't understand what religion has to do with lawn care, and one of the most important things I've learned about advertising is to get to the point and say what you have to say as quickly and simply as possible. I don't add in my college affiliation, or political party or favorite color, why add in religion in my advertising? Adding in all kinds of extra stuff, no matter what it is, doesn't help.

IMHO.

:D

Firefighter Dave
06-12-2003, 07:51 AM
Green in Idaho,

With you being in Idaho, I am sure your familiar with the LDS. I would have some reference to being LDS, which I am.

I think it helps, and might hurt you also. I don't know where your really trying to go with your tread, but if your a Baptist in bible belt in the south or LDS in Utah or Idaho advertising this will definitely help your business grow, I think! Word of mouth within these tight communities also helps when they know your one of "them".

But I am sure someone that is Atheist, would't hire Green Pasture with his Beautiful God in the middle of his Logo either and that would be the most extreme. Someone that does't believe or goto church other than special holidays is not going to hire them because they have John 13:6 on their truck.

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

GraZZmaZter
06-12-2003, 09:27 AM
I cant believe GreenPastures hasnt chimed in on this. He has a picture of Jesus in the background of his logo. He has them on the sides of his truck. Looks pretty sweet.

Myself, thats not my cup of tea. Sure if a client and i are chatting and religion comes up, i will talk about it. But as for advertising, i choose not to go that route.

goodbeus
06-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
Why do you want them to know?

Why do you care if they know?

Why not?? He's done so much for me, why not put his name on our shirts...Also, the idea that there may be those who may not want our services because we're a Christian company, we do work for people from every walk of life...

goodbeus
06-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Someone that does't believe or goto church other than special holidays is not going to hire them because they have John 13:6 on their truck.

Dave

:blob2: :blob2: [/B][/QUOTE]

That's John 3:16;) And your wrong about non-church going people not hiring a Christian based lawn company...I have a few hundred clients that don't believe in God:angel:

polecat63
06-13-2003, 07:43 AM
Because if you are a Christian, God tells you to do. Not out of pride, but out of faith.

1 Corinthians 16

13Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 14Do everything in love.

Firefighter Dave
06-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Someone that does't believe or goto church other than special holidays is not going to hire them because they have John 13:6 on their truck.

Dave

That's John 3:16;) And your wrong about non-church going people not hiring a Christian based lawn company...I have a few hundred clients that don't believe in God:angel: [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry... I meant "not going" to hire just becasue....... "John 3:16"

Dave

Green Pastures
06-13-2003, 09:25 AM
I've never lost an account because of my religous beliefs, and I'm pretty vocal about them as some of you here know.

Jesus Christ is involved in everything I am and is a part of every decision I ever make.

If I were to lose an account or not get an account because of my religous beliefs, I don't want that account anyway.

Jesus Christ gave His all for me, and the Bible teaches it was a free gift, so I don't "owe" Him anything. BUT, I willingly have given Him everything. After all everything I have and ever will have has come from Him anyway.

I don't advertise that I'm a Christian, by saying in fliers..."This is a Christian owned business" ........but I do have the symbol of the fish on my address stickers, I have Jesus in my logo.............and I hope people can tell I'm a Christian by my lifestyle.

Green in Idaho
06-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Well I do like the Greener Pastures Logo. And it's appropriately done.

I like the "If God grows it, we'll mow it," too.

But a fish symbol dropped somewhere as an "indicator" is weird to me. And the only possible reason I can come up with is someone does it to drum up business... and that rubs me the wrong way.

The people it attracts are already Christian so one is not spreading the word. That's like telling someone at your church that you are Christian. "Really, no kidding?"

Anyway...

Firefighter Dave
06-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Green in Idaho,

Just to let you know, their are a ton of religions that are not Christan based.

Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, etc.

Dave

:blob2: :D :blob2:

Green in Idaho
06-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Really? Wow!

And here I was so ethnocentric that I thought my religion was the ONLY one. :cry:

Oh well, I'm sure there's something wrong with those religions and it's my duty to tell those others about mine so they can be "saved" too. 'Cause that's what I've been taught since I was 7 and nothing can change my mind!

I was just packing my bags to go do some missionary work to spread the Word to the ignorant natives and non-believers(I'm packing a sword in case they don't accept it) :angel:. And now you're telling me there are other religions? You mean there's competition for my beliefs? And TONS of them?

I suppose next you're gonna tell me those other religions have been around for TENS of thousands of years or something crazy like that...

And to keep on topic, I suppose you're gonna tell me how they advertise their religion in their businesses too--- like having the Star of David on their business cards or a star and cresent on their trucks.

Well, thanks for the info.:alien:

Groundcover Solutions
06-13-2003, 07:59 PM
We put the "fish" on all of our trucks, shirts, and advertisements!

Why? because God has blessed us and gave us this opportunity to be in this business and has blessed the business. Why should we not show our thanks and take pride in our religion. We do this because we feel we should and if people don't feel the same way then that is ok, because everyone is entitled to there own beliefs.
Just my two cents

BSDeality
06-13-2003, 08:33 PM
First off, i'm very anti-religion, this seems to knock some people right off their feet. "what do you mean you don't believe in god/jesus/allah/etc?!" I have my reasons as to doubt, just as they have theirs to believe.

Here's what I do know.
"god" didn't give me ****. i owe nothing to him/her. He/She gave nothing for me. I don't put stars, fish or any other symbol of a religion in my business affairs or will i ever. If anything i should put a picture of my parents up there, they gave me inspiration and the will (and some money to start up, which i repaid many moons ago.)

fblandscape
06-13-2003, 09:04 PM
I believe that each person has a certain amount of religion which they need. And only that person can say or carry out that amount of religion. What I mean by that is, if you feel you need to be in church every day of the year, then you go every day of the year. If you feel you need to be in church 100 days a year, then you go 100 days a year. If you feel you only need to go on high holidays, then you only go on high holidays. That is not my idea, that is the idea of a friend's father. However I totally agree with it.

With this in mind, I will send out a holiday card to each customer every year in December. I try to find a card with a simple wintery theme on it. Preferrably no religious affiliations. I send those out to everybody saying "wishing you and your loved ones a happy holiday season, and a prosperous new year." I will also put in a side note when applicable.

That's just my take on things :)

lawndreamer
06-13-2003, 09:34 PM
I agree with you one hundred percent. Some christians are the most back stabbing, theiving, arrogant people I've met. I also know a bunch like, like you said you know, that are really good people. It's the bunch that, as exactly as you said, let everyone know the first time they speak, that they are a christian, they are the ones i'd keep my eye on. Some christians are the best people in the world. Like my pastor. I believe all christians are perfect, in God's eyes. Folks that aren't perfect are those that haven't put their trust in what Christ has said. Everyone can agree with that. I also believe going to heaven, or anything like that, has anything to do with how good a person is. one verse of scripture then I'll shut up Paul says in Romans "When I do good, evil is present with me." Now why would he say that. It's good to have a fish on my flyer (no offense) It's good to tell people about God right? A lot of things are good. It's good to go to church, it's good to read bible, pray, and all things Christians say it's right to do. Well Paul says when he does those good things evil is present with him. There is the problem Elephantnest, christians try to do so good that evil is present. The evil is one of the things God hates (PRIDE) I hope I didn't offend anyone. Christians should do nothing for their faith. God likes that more than blabbing our mouths about how good he has been to us. Especially for ex. when a christian gets an unexpected check in the mail, or electric bill is extremely low, they give God credit for it all. God don't work like that. Look at Paul's life did it work like that for him? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a reply to the flyer work post in Just started. I just wanted everyone to see it. seeing as I posted it noone seemed to continue the discussion for some reason.

Green in Idaho
06-14-2003, 12:52 AM
Come to think it of it...
It is the same as footballers dropping to a knee after a touchdown, or a hail Mary before the big play... or actors and entertainers putting in their 2 word sound bite at the awards show....
?????

Rustic Goat
06-14-2003, 01:30 AM
OK, I'll admit, it doesn't take that much to confuse me some time, But,

Green Pastures, what's the deal with the having a sign like you do (I really think it's great) and the picture of Cindy Crawford under your name on this site.

goodbeus
06-14-2003, 02:36 PM
First off, i'm very anti-religion, this seems to knock some people right off their feet. "what do you mean you don't believe in god/jesus/allah/etc?!" I have my reasons as to doubt, just as they have theirs to believe.

Here's what I do know.
"god" didn't give me ****. i owe nothing to him/her. He/She gave nothing for me. I don't put stars, fish or any other symbol of a religion in my business affairs or will i ever. If anything i should put a picture of my parents up there, they gave me inspiration and the will (and some money to start up, which i repaid many moons ago.)

I bet you have no problem celebrating Christmas:waving:

goodbeus
06-14-2003, 02:44 PM
[i] Especially for ex. when a christian gets an unexpected check in the mail, or electric bill is extremely low, they give God credit for it all. God don't work like that. Look at Paul's life did it work like that for him? NO!!!!!!!!!!!! [/B]

Lawndreamer,

God blesses us differently...the Bible teaches us that he blesses us according to our faith...Also, how do you know God doesn't work like that?

ElephantNest
06-14-2003, 03:37 PM
If so, then is it God that makes some people's bills extremely high to the point that they cannot pay? lol

Green in Idaho
06-14-2003, 06:47 PM
Topic: ADVERTISING it

goodbeus
06-15-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
If so, then is it God that makes some people's bills extremely high to the point that they cannot pay? lol

Is that what you want? You consider that a blessing? The Bible says not to be in debt to any man, if you owe something, pay it...it also says the he will give you the desires of your heart.

ElephantNest
06-15-2003, 08:56 AM
? Is that what I want? Whachoo-talkin bout, Willis? You said it could be God's way that makes people's bills low, so.....in that same breath you should have said it is also God that makes some people's bills high too. So the ones who are cruising on Easy Street were blesses by God...what about the ones on Skid Row...yup...they were blessed by God too. See the guy with no home, no money, no food, bad health? Yup, God did that too.

*sighs

Rustic Goat
06-15-2003, 05:10 PM
It is rather difficult to tell by the pontificating in some of these postings, which may be serious opinions and which may be obtuse words of someone that enjoys hearing themselves rattle.
But . . . . .
The statement of God blessing someone with lower bills, wasn't meant (I don't think) to be taken literally.
My belief tells me that God does not sit around with all the bills of the world and decide who is going to get which one and for how much.
One's faith, belief, and commitment to the Lord, His teachings, and His laws are, as I've been taught and believe, the measurement (for lack of a better term) by which one will be/is rewarded.
A faithful person, a believer, is blessed with the knowledge/concept of not spending more than they make (financial responsibility).

Someone without faith, whether lost or never had, is going to have to be at least willing to help themselves before expecting the Lord to light their way.

Before anyone chimes in with 'Well then, why do bad things happen to good people?'
We are here to experience life, and life is a balance. Good/Bad. Birth/Death. Health/Sickness. Advertising with religious symbols/signs without.

It is much easier to attack the teachings in the Bible than it is to follow them.

Mowin4cash
06-15-2003, 07:29 PM

Here's what I do know.

HE didn't give you anything ha? Hmmmm...........how bout tomorrow, you make your own air, your own water, and how about making your own vegetables and fruit to eat too.

Mike

ElephantNest
06-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Farmers do.

polecat63
06-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Amen Rustic Goat

Firefighter Dave
06-15-2003, 10:06 PM
I do believe in God and I know He's my maker and He died for my sins, etc.!!! It scares me to think that someone wouldn't have faith in Him..... just in case...

Dave

drobson
06-15-2003, 11:51 PM
My old boss used to say:

"Religion is like a horse race, just hope that when the end comes, you bet on the right horse"

There are a lot of religions out there, and obviously they can't all be correct because many contradict one another. Personally, I believe that faith is within each individual and of course everyone has the right to their own beliefs, whatever they are.

I was raised a catholic and taught biblical history in the way the catholic religion believes it. After I got to an age where I was capable of questioning the teachings of my religion, I realized that I was not meant to be a very religions person. I realized that the bible was a history book written by men with their view of events as they happened. And of course there is more than one version of the bible, to add to the complexity of things.

And of course history [broken down is "His Story" ] books have been known to be re-written when facts have been disproven; however, nothing in the bible can be proven or dis-proven. I personally cannot believe in anything that cannot be proven. But that is just me being the scientist type person that I am. I also don't believe in ghosts or aliens, but if you show me one, then I'll believe in them.

Now I don't knock anyone that does believe in God or anyone that is heavily into religion. Even if there is no God, or if one particular religion is not correct in their beliefs, that doesn't mean that having faith in something isn't a good thing. I'm sure it helps many people on many different levels.

Well, in a nutshell that is my take on this subject. I know it's not what the thread was about, but with all the other posts that have been off the topic I just had to put in my .02, I hope I didn't offend anyone, there was no offense intended.

Quote from Benny Hill: "Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer" :drinkup:

goodbeus
06-16-2003, 06:26 AM
what about the ones on Skid Row...yup...they were blessed by God too. See the guy with no home, no money, no food, bad health? Yup, God did that too.

*sighs [/B][/QUOTE]

And what are you basing that on???What proof do you have that God does that???None, you're just rambling on about someting you know nothing of...The Bible says "If God is for us, who can be against us" and also"Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy, but I've come so that you can life everlasting". Look at Solomon...He was even till this day according to the Bible, the wisest and richest man there ever was because he was blessed by God. Poverty is a demon spirit, those people prolly made decisions which led demon spirits into their lives and not asking for forgiveness, poverty could be the result you mentioned...The Bible says that when people keep sinning and not asking for forgiveness, that God gives them up to those sins because those people choose that way of life...

goodbeus
06-16-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Mowin4cash
HE didn't give you anything ha? Hmmmm...........how bout tomorrow, you make your own air, your own water, and how about making your own vegetables and fruit to eat too.

Mike

I totally agree,,for example, air...you can't see it, smell it, taste it, or feel it...but take it away and you know it was there...:rolleyes:

Here's another thought to contemplate...You may not agree with religion as a way of life, fine, that's your decision...I follow the Bible, and when I die and there's nothing out there, no big deal...but if an atheist dies, what if there really is a God, what is the punishment? Exactly, they better be right, otherwise eternal damnation...I'd rather be safe than sorry...:cool:

leadarrows
06-16-2003, 09:22 AM
drobson
Pretty much my take on this issue. Saved me some typing.
Only differences I gave up the beer 10 years ago last may.:(
Drivers Licenses is just too important.

Ghosts or aliens, now come on I know there real.:D

Oh, a baptized Christian here.
Some days my faith seems to be stronger than others.

As for advertising it. Well a simple quoit doesn't bother me but if it seems dominate well I might be leary of that. People want a service not a sermon. IMO

I don't do it so I don't know why and nobody else seems to be able or willing to say eather.:confused:

BSDeality
06-16-2003, 09:34 AM
... but if an atheist dies, what if there really is a God, what is the punishment? Exactly, they better be right, otherwise eternal damnation...I'd rather be safe than sorry...:cool:

If you go to heaven you'll have nothing to worry about, when i go to hell i'll be too busy saying hello to all my pal's that'll end up there too.

as for where did the air come from? hmm... i dunno.. perhaps trees?

lawndreamer
06-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Elephant is right on the money. In christians eyes today Paul was a complete failure. He had nothing when he died. HE lost his powers he lost his most of friends. God doesn't bless with materialistic things. If he did then we could blame God for the attics, or the theives that don't have enough money because God didn't bless them. That is the mentality that people have and it causes them to blame God when things don't go good. It's because self made Christians that Give God the credit out loud. God is in suffering. Look at Christ it looked like he was the biggest failure in the world hanging naked in front of his friends and his own mother. Things aren't always as they seem. Just watch out for those Christians that spout off immediatly about how good or how good God has been to them. I am saved but I see it as a lot of folks that aren't saved can see it.

philk17088
06-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Would you hire a lawn care company that stated on their truck, shirts... "NATION OF ISLAM" ALL PRAISES TO ALLAH....

Or Hare Krishna Landscaping?

goodbeus
06-16-2003, 06:17 PM
God doesn't bless with materialistic things. [/B][/QUOTE]

Then what about Solomon? The Bible says to look to God and all these things will be added unto you...

Green in Idaho
06-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by philk17088
Would you hire a lawn care company that stated on their truck, shirts... "NATION OF ISLAM" ALL PRAISES TO ALLAH....
Or Hare Krishna Landscaping?

Ohhh yea.. ADVERTISING again.

Yes, I would hire them if I was muslim. Or Krishna minded.

lawndreamer
06-18-2003, 05:26 PM
I should have been more specific. Since the age of Grace, (The time period after Christ's death) God hasn't used materialistic things to bless. Like Elephant's nest said, If God is responsible for giving folks materialistic things as blessings, then he is also responsible for the skid row bum. I think man makes his own decisions.

The advertising end of it, I think there is just as many or atleast close as many people that wouldn't hire you because of it, as there is that would hire you because of it. I think God has a different point of view, then most of the christians mentality, on letting everyone know they are Christians. With no benefit from God and the potential of not getting clients because of it I see no reason to advertise it.

Now this is completely opinionated and nothing is from fact. It is what I think not what I've experienced, seeing I've never advertised with the fish or any other religious emblem.

Honestly no offense to anyone, I know this is a touchy subject.

One thing I do know for fact God loves everyone, enough that he allowed the only one that ever truely loved him, die for folks that hated him.

goodbeus
06-18-2003, 06:37 PM
[i]If God is responsible for giving folks materialistic things as blessings, then he is also responsible for the skid row bum. [/B]

Show me where in the Bible that shows God is responsible for turning someone poverty stricken...;)

lawndreamer
06-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Show me where in the Bible that shows God is responsible for turning someone poverty stricken...

II Tim 4:9 Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: 10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry. 12 And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. 13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Paul was a very poor man had the scriptures, a coat, and a few books when he died. God wasn't responsible was he? Either God blessed him with this life or Paul wasn't the success we believe him to be.

goodbeus
06-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by lawndreamer
II Tim 4:9 Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: 10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry. 12 And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. 13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Paul was a very poor man had the scriptures, a coat, and a few books when he died. God wasn't responsible was he? Either God blessed him with this life or Paul wasn't the success we believe him to be.

Wrong...those versus are 5 charges to Timothy by Paul..he was asking Timothy to bring the cloak, the books, and the parchments to him...Paul was a willing servant of God and was not interested in worldly treasures...1 Corinthians 9:24-27, he writes the conditions of the final reward he's looking to obtain...:angel: