PDA

View Full Version : Viking 32" or 36"..your opinion?

GarPA
06-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Well I'm about ready to add a new smaller mower to the stable. Since I have an Exmark Z I've pretty much decided on a Viking. Will do the 36" after I measure a couple more gates but might have to go with the 32". Price I got for the 36" was $3700. Any opinions you guys/gals may have are surely welcome. I know the Viking has a fixed deck but I rarely change mowing heights. As it is, this is a chunk of change to spend on a mower that will not get allot of hours but is sorely needed on a number of proerties where the 21 or the Z just dont work.

ps...I have to have a dual hydro because of some nasty slopes. I'll consider other brands but only if theres a considerable lower price which I've not yet found on but I have not looked at all brands either. THanks for your 2 cents on this

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-09-2003, 09:38 AM
The 32" w/15 Kohler will give you better deck size to hp ratio if you will be running doubles & mulching thick leaves. Both are excellent units.

65hoss
06-09-2003, 09:50 AM
If a 36" will do them, then that is the best choice. Many reasons why, but your 52" HP blades are the same as the 36". No need for several blade types. The 32" has smaller drive wheels and the larger the wheels the better hill side ability.

Via your last email, yes the Viking is the way to go. The design of a 32" or 36" front casters will keep the deck from scalping. Exmark will tell you that. A floating deck is easier to change the height, but as you stated that isn't a big deal. We hardly ever change the deck height on the w/b's.

GarPA
06-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Ok guys...thanks for your help...the gates I was concerned with all have openings of at least 38"...Terry at Exmark told me today that with chute up, width is 36.4...thats great. Good point about the blade size Hoss....didnt think about that ...dah. I think theres an option to go to a 17 Kaw with the 36 but maybe I'm mistaken. And today the Honda started making bad noises when the hydrostatic drive tried to kick in...my last Honda had trans problems like this one now has.....so goodbye to 21 inch mowers....these 36 and 32 mowers sure do fill a niche...but when i write the check I'm going to be flinching a bit!!!...thanks again guys for you help, as always...

ahah
06-09-2003, 09:09 PM
I would still go with the 32. I own one and have several accounts a 36 would not fit. There are a couple of guys in town that give me the gated properties they can't fit their 36s in. With a Velke, the 32 is an awesome niche machine.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-10-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by GarPA
I think theres an option to go to a 17 Kaw with the 36 but maybe I'm mistaken.

I believe you are mistaken. The Viking can only be got w/ 15hp.

You can, however, special order a Toro 36" w/17hp Kaw.

MTR
06-10-2003, 02:00 AM
36" Viking with 15 Kawi V twin and eXmark sit-dwn sulky attached is the ideal machine, literally take on any ZTR. 36" with 15 Kawi is the best combo in terms of pitching power and blade tip. The Kohler on 32" is good but you "only" want to have Kawi on your WB.

GarPA
06-10-2003, 06:53 AM
hmm...now you guys have me rethinking the 32...the 36 does fit all my gates as of today...but...who knows what smaller gates are may be down the road. I wont need a sulky right now but I would like a velky...I see lots of opinions here on which brand of ride- behind to buy...what do you guys prefer?? Do you know if Exmark recommends or can ship a certain brand? I know zero about Toro except I think I heard or saw a post or two about their cost being much less....but is it a dual hydro?? I know I'm agonizing over which one to buy so bear with me....its the last mower I plan on buying for quite some time. ..thanks

ps...MTR what is "pitching power"?

Pat Daniels
06-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Also would like to know if there was a particular velky that a 32 inch metro would pull

65hoss
06-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by GarPA
hmm...now you guys have me rethinking the 32...the 36 does fit all my gates as of today...but...who knows what smaller gates are may be down the road. I wont need a sulky right now but I would like a velky...I see lots of opinions here on which brand of ride- behind to buy...what do you guys prefer?? Do you know if Exmark recommends or can ship a certain brand? I know zero about Toro except I think I heard or saw a post or two about their cost being much less....but is it a dual hydro?? I know I'm agonizing over which one to buy so bear with me....its the last mower I plan on buying for quite some time. ..thanks

ps...MTR what is "pitching power"? :dizzy: :dizzy:

32" has smaller tires. It can pull a sulky, but not as well.

GarPA
06-10-2003, 08:15 PM
well Hoss I've decided to go with the 36 with a pro slide ride behind....no tire and it folds up easily...or so the guys here say...if a 36 wont fit a certain sized gate then I just pass on that property.

65hoss
06-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Glad to hear it. You made a good choice. :blob4:

MTR
06-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Proslide is good but now you can't run around on concrete from house to house...with wheeled sulky or sit-dwn sulky there is no worn-out slide besides "riding" on concrete is fun and unavoidable. I can't imagine myself hauling Viking or Metro out of trailer and walk them into yards before stepping on Proslide, let alone filling gas tank at gas station. Oh well, great choice anyway, hope you enjoy the Viking, it is one of my fav.
The pitching is meant on the blade spining, the cutting power, with Kawi V-twin and 36 deck the cut is super clean in one pass provided your blade is decently sharp. 15hp in 48 is little weak for Hydro drive.

GarPA
06-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks MTR...my dealer told me the same thing today about the proslide....thats why he handles only Velke....decisions decsisons...things are getting a little tight in the enclosed trlr so I'm going to find out which one takes less room....I think the proslide...to tell you the truth I really dont care at this point if its wheeled or not wheeled.

Today I started 2 new accounts and man oh man did I need that 36" The hp 52 did the first one just fine...but the house next door had obstacles and beds everywhere!!!...Very high end home ...Spanish style with two courtyards inside gated walls!!!..and the yards inside the walls were not exaclty small....man did I underbid this....took me forever with the 21 and the the Z...and the Z left tire tracks that made me dizzy...Hoss knows I am no lowballer but do you guys sometimes blow a bid so bad your teeth hurt!!!!....we all know it takes about 3 mows to get the drift of a property so I'll get these 2 new accounts straightened out....but only with the 36....Its a neighborhood that has so many trees it looks like a forrest....been trying to get in there for 2 years...many dollars to be made in fall and spring.
thanks again guys for all your help..much appreciated

brucec32
06-13-2003, 09:21 PM
I have the toro fixed 32" which uses the exact same deck as the Viking. I like it, it cuts great, only cost me $2450, plus $125 for the mulching kit. I looked at Vikings but couldn't justify the bigger price for a mower I didn't use a lot. The 32" deck mulches very well on Bermuda, btw. Even wet grass today in the rain, it handled it. Wet Bluegrass or Tall Fescue would be a different story, however, due to the volume of grass it'd be handling.

As it turns out I use it more than I planned to, on low-cut Bermudagrass which the bigger decks don't cut as well. I get lots of compliments on the cut it gives.

The 36" would be a little more versatile on bigger areas, but would cause you to lose time if you did lots of gated lawns where it wouldn't fit. You have to decide.

Up North, I doubt you cut much grass really low, which requires the better cut on uneven terrain that the 32" might provide. I haven't tried the 36", but my Exmark 48" cut, though good, is just not acceptable on the type lawns I use the 32" on. If I'd have bought a 36" and it didn't get the job done well, I'd regret that . I suspect it would be almost as good, however. I bought the 32" for small but bumpy little Bermuda lawns where cut quality is more important than ultimate speed. It's light enough to be handy as a belt drive. But on those I would go Toro, not Exmark, since I prefer their belt drive T bars to the ECS belt drives.

The 32" does have some pretty skinny tires, but for gates and small areas only, it'd do fine.

MTR
06-14-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't know about other states, but in Florida, the 36" is the must and it fits through any gated or fenced yards, especially, the "high-end", pooled, fancied waterfall garden...natural habitat...blah, blah, blah kind of yards. I sold all my 21, and will never touch them again. The 36" takes care all.
With Hydro and eXmark sit-down sulky, Gary P, that Viking should take care of business easily. If you do hills, the trailing jungle wheels is the prefered choice.
Good luck.