PDA

View Full Version : used tractor price

wncjzpa
06-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Is there any brand of lawn tractor that is better or recommended more often due to quality. Im looking to get a used tractor unless a new one is affordable. I have 3.2 acres and would like to have reliable machine. Also, how much does bulk bark mulch cost generally?

HOWARD JONES
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM
I'll tell you from experience, if you're thinking along the lines of the $1000 type like you get at Wal-mart, forget it. I wore one of those out in one season, I was mowing 10 hours per cut and doing lots of maintenance to spindles, etc. You need to look at used commercial-grade equipment. I saw a great mower for you a couple of weeks ago - a Toro z-master, 25hp and 62 inch cut, these are over $8000 new and the guy was asking $4500 with only 200 hours on it. If you really want tractor style, there aren't too many commercial units - John Deere and Kubota are the first to come to mind.

Drifthopper
06-13-2003, 01:12 PM
W.....PA,
If your starting out with your home or on a budget, look in the local papers for a used lawn tractor. You might have to drive around a bit and look at a few different ones but you'll find one. Some of the guys on here will disagree, but if you can pick up a 8, 10, 12 Hp riding lawn mower with 38" to 42" cut for $500 or under , i'd say buy it. Murruy, Dynamark, ......etc........units that were originally bought from Wal mart or Home Depot, are not the bad. Folks and i have a hunting cabin, we got a 8hp B & S Murruy w/ 36" cut, 2 blades, its about a 1978-1979, and its still cuttin' !
And yes, it does probably require more maintenance and servicing then the other higher priced ones, the deck has been welded on a couple times, but i hit rocks and stumps that stalled the motor, sank the rear end and mower in our pond,...........etc....... I'll go there this weekend and it'll start and get the grass cut.
And the funny part of it is, say you go out and get a "disposable" lawn tractor for ......say $500, you can use it for a couple years, and then put it for sale and still get $300 -$400 for it, and then jump up to the $3000-$4000 units that they talk about on here. It all depends on how much money you got and willing to spend and then if your somewhat mechanically inclined to to the maintenance.

As for the bark.......3 bags for $10.

hboyd_com
06-13-2003, 02:06 PM
mulch ~ $18-$25 a ton.

hboyd_com
06-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Oops... I meant mulch ~ $18-$25 a YARD.

65hoss
06-30-2003, 01:16 AM
You need a small tractor with finishing mower or a comm'l lawn mower for that amount of turf. You will wear a garden tractor out. A tractor will give you alot of uses other than cutting grass. I just helped a friend of mine buy a Kubota tractor with finishing mower for his 4 acres. He paid $8000 for a used Kubota diesel with 500 hours and a 72" Woods finishing mower. Very nice unit and will last forever just cutting grass.

I have a 1963 Ford tractor that continues to run with tons of hours. I use it occassionally for grading work. A good tractor will never wear out just cutting grass.