PDA

View Full Version : 24hp Honda Engine Problems?

Lakeview
06-09-2003, 01:31 PM
I am ready to purchase a Scag Tiger Cub 52". All the price quotes i have received include the 24hp Honda engine. I heard some of the larger Honda engines were subject to problems. Has anyone experienced any trouble out of the larger Honda engines?

The Tiger Cub sounds like a good piece of equipment and i already have money in hand to buy it. But then i hear some guys may be experiencing problems with the Honda engines.

bluebeard
06-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Have you ever personally seen a problem with honda motors? Me either. The only problem I've ever heard about were from people who had brothers who had sister in-laws who had uncles who had a friend that had a honda with a problem.

Every manufacturer is gonna make a lemon or two ocassionaly. It's the nature of mass production. That being said, I say get the one your gonna be the happiest with.
:)

lawnMaster5000
06-09-2003, 03:53 PM
I have seen problems with the Honda 13hp, and 20hp engines. The 20hp are the same basic engine as the 24.

I currently run the Honda GXV620 on my Honda WB.

Last year I had severe engine problems where the top bearings went bad. The engine had less that 400 hours, and oil was changed regularly every 50 hours. My dealer claimed the engine was low on oil but it was in about the middle of dip stick hash marks (not low). It was unusual for my engine to be even that low. The dealer refused to disassemble the engine to positively diagnose the problem. Another thing to note - the air filter is of poor design and leaks air creating dirty oil accelerating the problem.

My dealer claimed that b/c i was low on oil they would not honor the warranty. I tried rather hard to contact Honda directly but they don't really have a support staff that i could find, and the regional engine distributor said he couldn't do anything without my dealer doing it. I spent $1,500 to put a new engine on my one year old mower.

The same dealer has denied other people for the same reason of low oil for other problems.
The most common other problem is that at about 350 hours I have seen probably 3 - maybe more - of the 13hp engine wobble loose at the bottom of the engine, and start leaking oil from the crank case.

A design flaw to note, Terrible air filter design, my redmax EB 7000 has a better air cleaner than my Honda engine - and yes this is the new model air cleaner.

supermini z
05-03-2004, 07:01 PM
I have a hustler supermini z with a 24hp honda engine and I have had no problems with it at all. I only have 10 hours on the machine though. sorry to hear about your mowers lawnmaster5000. my air filter is the remote canister type with a large inlet.

Mark Lawncare
05-03-2004, 09:16 PM
I have had problems with the choke on my Honda 13hp. I doesn't close all the time so after trying to fix it myself I took it to a repair shope and they said it was just a bad design. The engine only has around 350hrs and the dipstick extender tube also leaks a little oil where it connects to the engine. Other than that it is a very powerfull and reliable engine.

milo
07-17-2005, 10:21 PM
i have the 24hp honda engine on a yazoo 61 inch cut it runs fine. it has 219 hours on it now. you know so far all the engines seem perty good. (honda kawasaki kohler) and at first i was a little scared of a honda engine but my dealer said he would not even factor that into buying the mower. he said they are all good

Envy Lawn Service
07-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Last year I had severe engine problems where the top bearings went bad. The engine had less that 400 hours, and oil was changed regularly every 50 hours. My dealer claimed the engine was low on oil but it was in about the middle of dip stick hash marks (not low). It was unusual for my engine to be even that low. The dealer refused to disassemble the engine to positively diagnose the problem. Another thing to note - the air filter is of poor design and leaks air creating dirty oil accelerating the problem.

My dealer claimed that b/c i was low on oil they would not honor the warranty. I tried rather hard to contact Honda directly but they don't really have a support staff that i could find, and the regional engine distributor said he couldn't do anything without my dealer doing it. I spent $1,500 to put a new engine on my one year old mower.

All the above is actually the very same reason I actually prefer Briggs engines and will choose them over other brands if the choice is an option on the equipment I am buying. I don;t know how it is for other people and other areas, but Briggs has always been good to me, supported me well and stood behind their product by honoring the warranty.

In fact, I was wedged into a VERY SIMILAR situation with a dealer. The difference was that the engine problem was different. Briggs backed me 100% and took it upon themselves to actually follow up with me after I contacted their support team. The guy called to follow up and make sure I got taken care of. Once he found out I was still hanging in 'limbo' he got my district rep involved.

Understand that he too was basically wedged in a situation too. The mechanic was saying one thing and I was saying another. So rather than choose sides on who was right and who was wrong about the engine in question or assuming I was just a PITA customer.... he resolved that we settle this on my word.... he replaced the entire engine.... I honored my word.... and the old engine went back for inspection.

PROBLEM SOLVED.