PDA

View Full Version : Kids, walkbehinds and no shoes...

Brieldo
06-09-2003, 02:08 PM
The other day I was driving home from some function with my girlfriend and I drove by a family out in the yard. The mom was gardening, the dad was talking to his kid and the other son was on the trampoline. As I got closer, the kid, probably 8-10 years old, started mowing the lawn...WITHOUT SHOES!!!!!! Bare foot, swimtrunks and no shirt on. I swung the super duty back around, pulled up to the guys house, got out and asked the father "Do you have any idea what could happen to your sons feet if he got them caught int eh mower? " The dad just looked at me stupified and said "Uh, yeah, Uh...I guess so..." I then said, "I'm not your child's parent but I think you should seriously reconsider your parenting when it comes to allowing your son to cut grass..." With that, I walked away, got back in teh truck and drove away.

UNBELIEVABLE!

ElephantNest
06-09-2003, 02:26 PM
What's more unbelievable is that he didn't knock your lights out.

But, I agree, stupid parenting.

bobbygedd
06-09-2003, 02:41 PM
yea, really, next time you tell me how to raise my kids, youre in for it, pal

Gravely_Man
06-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Even with your comment the sad thing is that nothing probably changed. Some people just don't think and who can expect an 8-10 year old to realize mowing without shoes is unsafe. I probably would have stopped but not been as direct because obviously the parents don't have the child's safety in mind.

Gravely_Man

Brieldo
06-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Hit a 6'5' 295 lb person and end up in the hospital...

Go ahead and talk about assault charges and all that other BS that people here like to talk about....bottom line is he was irresponsible and it could've led to a permanantly injured child...

Forget the fact that I was blunt and straightforward...look at what's more important: a child's safety.

cos
06-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
What's more unbelievable is that he didn't knock your lights out.

But, I agree, stupid parenting.

LOL I also agree with this statement... both of them.

LawnSmith
06-09-2003, 04:16 PM
childs safety more important than getting sued? YES, any day of the week.

i do agree that shoes(preferably boots) are a must when mowing or using any type of machine. but, shoes, boots, steeltoes, etc., dont stand a chance up against a mower blade. if any part of your body slips under there, its good bye.

my uncle is the Superintendent @ a local course here in Kentucky. even though he is the "boss man" of the grounds crew, he still does a lot of work. they have a lot of areas that are used w/ walk behinds(scag 48" in this case), and dont use velkes/sulkies.

he was mowing around the clubhouse area one morning and went to make a turn and start another line. thats when disaster struck. he turned the mower so sharp that it actually turned over top of his foot before he was behind it completely. he felt the blade hit his toe but he kept on walking. a few steps later, he looked down on his shirt only to see his whole big toenail stuck to his shirt!. he flicked it off, shut down the mower, and begain to inspect his foot. well, it was cut very badly and he was driven to the hospital.

the doctors sewed him up and all went well but, they told him if he was wearing steel toed boots, his foot would have been a lot worse. i said the same thing most people would think. "a lot worse w/ steel toed boots?" the doctors said the steel toe would have acted as "shrapnel" and cut the foot and toes worse than the blade itself.

i dont know what the point of the rant was except that shoes do protect you to a certain extent but they can only do so much.

regardless, the father should tell his son to wear shoes when mowing. it shouldnt take a passer-by to tell him.....

JB1
06-09-2003, 04:43 PM
I applaud your efforts in telling the parents, on the shoes I heard this might be morbid but with tennis shoes it will cot it clean and easy to sew back on but withsteel toe it will rip and tear and a lot harder to repair had a lco in louisville tell me who had an employee got hurt.

turfcare
06-09-2003, 05:42 PM
If for nothing else, you have a lot more traction when wearing shoes. You are less likely to slip.

crazygator
06-10-2003, 12:19 AM
I think its sad that a person (you) passing by cared more than the actual parent. That is the ways of the world we live in now days.

Just think how stupid he will really feel when something really bad does happen, and he thinks about your stopping.

What an idiot! Good for you for stopping.

brucec32
06-13-2003, 11:33 PM
I saw at least two instances of small kids riding in the lap of a parent on a lawn tractor as they mowed the lawns last week. I've read of horrible accidents caused by this. Apparently these people don't read the same papers I do.

We drove through a new neighborhood last weekend and my wife pointed out that they have a small kiddie type basketball goal set up in the street. Not a cul de sac, mind you, but a fairly busy main entrance road to a subdivision, with traffic speeds of about 30mph. "What better place to play than the street, kids! Just don't play here in the driveway, you're spoiling mommies' nap time."

I don't have kids, but half the stuff I see parents letting them do scares me. Another one I like is lazy people sending the 3 y/o toddler out to the busy road to get the mail for them. Amazing.

jman00
06-14-2003, 12:23 AM
I have mowed my lawn with no shoes, no big deal. I hate shoes. I would never do anyones elses yard barefoot though. Why didnt you tell the wife to get inside from flying debris. Of course his dad knows what could happen to his sons foot. Come on the kid is ten He knows not to get his foot under the mower. He has the same chance of getting his foot under the mower as you do. I would have told you to get your dang ford out of my yard and get back to work!

Rob Briedel (the barefoot bushman)on the outdoor network has never worn shoes. I think his job is much more dangerous than ours. Call him up

Brieldo
06-14-2003, 12:27 AM
I mean, that last response is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever read...

jman00
06-14-2003, 12:36 AM
?

MOW ED
06-14-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by jman00
I have mowed my lawn with no shoes, no big deal. I hate shoes. I would never do anyones elses yard barefoot though. Why didnt you tell the wife to get inside from flying debris. Of course his dad knows what could happen to his sons foot. Come on the kid is ten He knows not to get his foot under the mower. He has the same chance of getting his foot under the mower as you do. I would have told you to get your dang ford out of my yard and get back to work!

Rob Briedel (the barefoot bushman)on the outdoor network has never worn shoes. I think his job is much more dangerous than ours. Call him up

A child should be taught safety at the earliest possible age. Its the parents RESPONSIBILITY to do this. I could care less that you hate shoes and mow barefoot or bare a$$ed for that matter but a kid should be taught the correct way. Otherwise he may or may not end up as an uninformed adult.

Rather Be Fishing
06-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by brucec32
I saw at least two instances of small kids riding in the lap of a parent on a lawn tractor as they mowed the lawns last week. I've read of horrible accidents caused by this. Apparently these people don't read the same papers I do.

One of my biggest pet peeves!:mad:

The same folks who would probably never put their kids in a car without a car seat somehow feel they are in more control on a mower...And statistics don't lie when it comes to lawn tractors and small children.

I live in a rural area and recent development brought me a batch of new neighbors. I copied the link below and gave it to one of them after seeing him give his pre-school and elemetary school aged kids a ride on his tractor with the blades engaged. He was a bit stand-offish at first but after inviting him over for a beer to check out my equipment and listen to a few years of experience, he thanked me.

mywebmd.lycos.com/content/article/33/1728_81217 (http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/33/1728_81217)

Auroris
06-14-2003, 04:44 PM
What was that that Forest Gump used to say?

Oh yeah; "Stupid is as stupid does".

The world's full of them, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

turfcare
06-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Auroris
What was that that Forest Gump used to say?

Oh yeah; "Stupid is as stupid does".

The world's full of them, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Nuff Said!:)

sbvfd592
06-16-2003, 01:44 PM
i whould have beet u with my sons baceball bat!

Brieldo
06-16-2003, 06:37 PM
instead of a bacebell bat, how about a grammar book? Or, perhaps a dictionary?...

Martin Luther King Jr. Said it best...

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity...

Think about that...

MDMowing
06-21-2003, 09:56 AM
As said before, "Stupid is, what stupid does."

I guess I would have to give you some credit, for stopping and telling the kids father, that mowing barefoot, is not the safest thing. Not only dangerous, but imho it's also an accident waiting to happen.

I do hire a few teenagers to help. They don't operate the big stuff, only the little stuff. Our policy is Shoes & Socks are REQUIRED!!!! Just the other day I made one of our associates put on shoes. He came out with only these flip flops. I said NO, go get shoes on. He then came back out with shoies on but no socks. I sent him back in for socks. He put them on, mad a me but he did as told.

I may print off some of these posts and shoe him just why it is important to wear shoes and socks in this line of work.

Sometimes adults as well as kids don't always get the "Big Picture". And sometimes it takes something traggic to happen before they realize their stupididy.

( I will step off the soap box now. Thank you for your time)

:dizzy: