PDA

View Full Version : Tall Grass on the Beach

gpriddy
06-09-2003, 02:34 PM
I need advice...

A customer wants me to cut a large area (40 x 200) o fbeach which has grown up in grasses (14"-20" tall), weeds, frag, and other plants. He wants it cut raked, round-up'd, and maintained. I am not able to get either my wb or ZTR onto the beach area.

My question is, what should I cut this with? My current option is to use my string trimmer, however I am open to new equipment.

I am Consxidering:
buying a 21" Honda and cut it high
Buying an extended hedge trimmer and running it just off the ground
Using the existing string trimmer

Since I am considering selling the 36" wb anyhow, I am considering buying the 21" and putting it straight to work...

Thoughts Please...

Gary

cos
06-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Ever had sand hit ya while trimming? I can't imagine a lawn mower of any kind on sand.

Remsen1
06-09-2003, 04:38 PM
The best to try would be a sickel bar mower on tractor with floatation tires. Then Round Up (applied by licensed applicator only, especially near water I can just imagine the regulations and danger).

Sounds like a chitty job, not much services after taking care of the initial mess cause nothing grows fast in sand. Make sure to charge them high for the initial cleanup, because that is the hardest part and they may not need you after that.

BRL
06-09-2003, 04:58 PM
I would check with the local authorities first. Chances are, that dune grass is a fragile part of the eco system there, and there are laws prohibiting damaging the plant life at or near the beach. Most coastal areas have such laws (most by state DEP's) and the fines can be quite serious. Much of the dune grass is keeping the beaches from washing away faster than they already do. It may be an eyesore to your client, but make sure it's not something that is illegal to take down.

If it is OK, Round Up label states not to be applied to areas where surface water is present, or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. So if you use that make sure you are above that. I would use the hedge trimmer. Most dune & beach grass is like most ornamental grasses; thick, strong stalks.

landscaper3
06-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Putting round up near open water is illigal and DEP and EPA will fine heavy. Most of our properties are lake front homes and we work with DEP and NOTHING can be done 100 feet from water unless DEP is notified!!! What BRL said is most likely the regulations.

Rhett
06-09-2003, 06:11 PM
I have an account on the beach that is nothing but sand and clumps of weeds and grass. I would run away. Moving parts and sand do not mix. Would almost hate to give up spending an hour every week getting sand blasted each week. No thanks

Just Turned Pro
06-09-2003, 06:58 PM
If you are allowed to cut it, how about a power scythe? Won't be as clean cut as a mower but shouldn't throw sand around either.

DLCS
06-09-2003, 07:07 PM
oh man, getting sand blasted every week for an hour, I would run fast.

2 man crew
06-09-2003, 10:00 PM
If you are permitted like others have stated, you should use Sahara w/Round Up on the beach. Sahara will take down shrubs and trees so be carefull.

brucec32
06-13-2003, 11:36 PM
I would advise being very careful to check the legality of using roundup or cutting grasses near the ocean. You'll be the one paying the stiff fines if caught, most likely.

I avoid doing cleanup work on overgrown properties. I don't want to wind up being a blurb in the paper about a man stung to death or taken down by a nest of vipers or something. I always seem to have critter problems when I do this type of work, so I quit doing it.

geogunn
06-14-2003, 07:17 AM
if you accept this assignment, I'd wear a disguise and have at least two get away cars standing by. each on opposite sides of the work area(with the motors running).:eek:

GEO

ElephantNest
06-14-2003, 08:46 AM
I have a similar job, except it's on the lake, not an ocean. Shindaiwa T-270, wearing jeans of course. Like a hot knife through butter. Just try to cover up all skin areas, and go for it.