PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going back to walk behinds. Has anyone else done this?

We do 4 U
06-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Thinking of giving up my 52" Super Z and going back to large area walk behinds. It is not the Super Z, that is one great mower. I just think, for me, walk behinds are better. I was going to look at the 52" and 60" Exmark TT. Does anyone here use these mowers? Any feedback? I am also thinking of going with a Hustler Super Walk Behind.

Thanks in advance.

PS, post up Switchless

ahah
06-09-2003, 03:54 PM
I have the Exmark 60" TT. I specialize in small residential lawns. The mower is fast, cuts very nicely, and fits under and through low limbs and bushes. (You can only duck so low on a ZTR rider). When I do get out onto the larger more open lawns the width of the deck comes in handy. It isn't nearly as fast as a ZTR but for my needs, it suits me well.

Turf Technologies
06-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Why not keep the ZTR, never know when you may get somthing big.

John Gamba
06-09-2003, 05:04 PM
The 52" Ultracut deck 23Kohler With double High Lifts Simply rock's. It's 200LB Clutch Pull's The Mower threw The Thick stuff with ease. The 60" Takes down Big areas Like It's a walk in the Park!
John.
PS Look at all the updates On the 02 And Newer Turf tracers. They are Lazer walkbehine's.

John Gamba
06-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Here try the ECS.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
06-09-2003, 07:52 PM
I would keep the Z , you may need it some day.If I was going for a big walk behind I would probably go with that new hustler.I havent used one but those new controls seem awesome

Doc Pete
06-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Here try the ECS.
Gees what I nice machine. Oh, what are those metal things you have to hold on each grip? They sure look like they’d hurt your hand. Too bad you didn’t have to have those silly safety levers to hold. Oh, looks like I need both hands on the controls to run the machine. You mean if I want to slow down to a crawl, hold the controls with one hand and move branches out of the way as I mow with the other hand, I can’t??
Do I have to stop the machine and put it in neutral to pick up garbage, or can I stop the machine with one hand and just pick stuff and move it, moving the machine too? You mean I can’t “instantly” change speed, while mowing from 0 to top end or any where in between?? You mean your machine doesn’t track straight backwards, unless you carefully use both hands to adjust the backward tracking??? You mean your machine doesn’t automatically make a perfect zero turn, with one wheel going forward and other going backward just by moving a bar???
Golly, your machine doesn’t seem to do any of these things. A Hustler WB does them “All”. Oh well……

Doc Pete
06-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by We do 4 U
Thinking of giving up my 52" Super Z and going back to large area walk behinds. It is not the Super Z, that is one great mower. I just think, for me, walk behinds are better. I was going to look at the 52" and 60" Exmark TT. Does anyone here use these mowers? Any feedback? I am also thinking of going with a Hustler Super Walk Behind.

Yeah, been there, done that...... Back to WB's. Yes, I'm now happy, too:D

bayfish
06-09-2003, 09:02 PM
I picked up a Toro 52' w/b last fall for about $4500.00 new with turf trac sulkie. It has a 20 hp Kohler, hydro, t-bar, bagger. The SFS deck goes through anything wet or dry without clumps. The high lifts do a good quality job. Need to find a way to put weight on the front. It's a little light in the front end especially going up an incline. Any suggestions?

Old 5 LawnCare
06-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Get the 52"TT w/ECS and the 23hp Kohler, you wont regret it!

You dont need both hands on the controls and it is so comfortable, you'll forget just how big it is.

Do not waste your money on the Gator blades though, the aint worth spit on this machine.

turfman59
06-09-2003, 10:00 PM
The 52" Ultracut deck 23Kohler With double High Lifts Simply rock's. . will it mulch leaves in the fall like a z...
what about a collection system?

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2003, 10:13 PM
And why would you want to do that? Any specific reason/reasons why?

David Haggerty
06-09-2003, 10:14 PM
With dual controls you could either ride or walk.

Not like the Rich convertible, just two sets of controls.

There was a manufacturer that did this a few years ago.
Does anyone remember who this was?
It had an articulated deck, hand controls, controls on the back, and even foot controls!

Dave

We do 4 U
06-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Envy,

I just like wb more. I was using a Toro 44 wb before I got my Super Z and, to me, it seemed more maneuverable but was no where near as fast while cutting. But the bigger Exmark TT's and Hustler Super wb's are almost as fast as the zrt's and use the same decks as the "big boys" so, it seems to me. you get the best of both worlds. Also, I am a one man part show (I'm a full time firefighter/medic) I don't have an employee's to worry about keeping happy.

Doc Pete
06-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by David Haggerty
With dual controls you could either ride or walk.

Not like the Rich convertible, just two sets of controls.

There was a manufacturer that did this a few years ago.
Does anyone remember who this was?
It had an articulated deck, hand controls, controls on the back, and even foot controls!

Dave

Gees Dave, you read my mind. I wanted to do that with the Z's, and asked Hustler why they didn't do it. The reason: Because just like the WB's, people don't want change even if it's better. Go figure. However, I just fininshed doing my neighbors lawn with my rider (yeah, I needed one with a spindle driven bagger) and I still like my WB with sulky better. Using the rider, I got smacked with branches going by stuff, couldn't get under the trees to trim and the ride was rougher than on my WB sulky, plus my turning was slower. So as far as I'm concerned if the ground is rough and you can only go 6 mph using a rider, the WB/sulky is faster, and if the ground is so smooth you can do 10 mph with the rider, than the Wb/sulky can do the same.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-09-2003, 11:14 PM
I prefer WB's. Easier to train, less worries for turf & prop. damage , better in wet & more versatile.

Z's are great for wide open production mowing but the "mini" Z's are redundant IMO.

Doc Pete
06-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Z's are great for wide open production mowing but the "mini" Z's are redundant IMO.

I can see this is where I make my mistake. I wouldn't know where to start if I had 5 or 10 acres to mow with my WB/sulky. On the other hand, if I had a 60" rider, on a 1/2 acre lot, as I already mow, I probably wouldn't know where to start with the rider, either:rolleyes:
Pete

MTR
06-10-2003, 01:24 AM
I know one thing for sure that WB is the machine for the "hill" Had I started out with ZTR, I would have lost so many accounts in high end community cause all those hills will keep the Z out for good, and the cost of the Z will completely eat up my budding profit for long time. Every week I cut these hills I love my Metro even more! Tight budget yet wanting efficiency & profit & cost effectiveness, only WB/sulky can do, I see it clearly now why?

So, you ask this, I would say either eXmark or Hustler WB will suit you fine, they rock...
Good Luck,

Envy Lawn Service
06-10-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
I prefer WB's. Easier to train, less worries for turf & prop. damage , better in wet & more versatile.

Man did you ever just open up a can of worms in your own statement there. Your first and second sentence conflict with each other.

If you had any "real" working knowledge about mini Z's such as the Hustler or Yazoo/Kees mini Z's which are true to the definition of "mini Z's" you would know something about their versatility and maneuverability v/s a WB or large frame Z.

They are the more productive go between choice. More productive than the same size WB, less worries for turf & property damage, better in wet and more versatile than either the WB or large frame Z. But again, you wouldn't know that.

We do 4 U,

If you like Hustler, go on down and pick up a Super Mini Z w/smaller deck and demo it a while. You may be surprised what you find out! I think you are overlooking something and might have answered your own question in your mind......
I was using a Toro 44 wb before I got my Super Z and, to me, it seemed more maneuverable but was no where near as fast while cutting. But the bigger Exmark TT's and Hustler Super wb's are almost as fast as the zrt's and use the same decks as the "big boys" so, it seems to me. you get the best of both worlds
If you went from a 44" WB to a 52" large frame Z and you are a bit unsatisfied, why do you think a big WB would solve that? Something the same size basically, but likely longer and a lot slower.....:confused:

I think maybe little and fast might be better for you.....
44" Super Mini Z, fast as the Super Z, small as the Toro....
Food for thought anyways.

Simone Lawn Service
06-10-2003, 02:43 AM
I just celebrated my two year aniversary (wife is a great cook) , and I'm closing in on the BIG 30. My gut is begining to show evidence of both-I was thinking the other day about how much better shape I used to be in with my old walk behind, maybe I should switch back...................nah!

Just curious are WBs really better in wet grass? Why?
I was just starting out when I had my 36" belt drive Lesco WB, didn't have anything to compare it to, and really didn't think to compare it.

John Gamba
06-10-2003, 06:42 AM
The TT 52 Or 60 With Double High's Will mulch The Leaves With No problems, I Have Mulched them Some what Wet With No Problems. Like i said the 200LD clutch Holds On No Mater what!

Pete Goodmorning!

Doc Pete
06-10-2003, 07:23 AM
The TT 52 Or 60 With Double High's Will mulch The Leaves With No problems, I Have Mulched them Some what Wet With No Problems. Like i said the 200LD clutch Holds On No Mater what!
Pete Goodmorning!

Nothing wrong with an Exmark John, however, any way you slice it, ECS is just inverted Pistol grips. So, keep those pics coming so people are reminded what ECS really is. Any particular reason you never argue over the multiple things the H bar can do, which are important productive enhancers, "and" ECS controls can't????
Funny, but even though I love WB's, I realize the need for a bagging rider, which I own. In time you may realize though you love exmark ECS, the H bar will make you more money with less effort than your ECS machine. The mark of a true professional is to use what's best, and not just what looks good.
Pete

teeca
06-10-2003, 08:47 AM
what about a comprmise?

test drove a great dane super surfer last week, seems like an awsome mechine! the hp of a rider, and the mobility of a w/b.. anybody ever used one?

personaly, i don't know if i could give up my dixies, but the great dane was very impressive, maybe on smaller properties? here i go, if i keep talking about it i will end up with one next week!!:angel:

brucec32
06-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by bayfish
I picked up a Toro 52' w/b last fall for about $4500.00 new with turf trac sulkie. It has a 20 hp Kohler, hydro, t-bar, bagger. The SFS deck goes through anything wet or dry without clumps. The high lifts do a good quality job. Need to find a way to put weight on the front. It's a little light in the front end especially going up an incline. Any suggestions?

I agree, the Toro decks handle wet tall grass great. I mowed today after showers and in showers with one and it really surprised me how it handled it better than my Exmark, though the cut on some types of turf might not be as good.

As for going back to wb's.....no thanks. I enjoy mowing with them, but after several hours on a velke today (new lazer in the shop after only 88 hours!) I remembered why I switched to a ZTR in the first place. Standing obviously takes more effort than sitting. It did cut just as fast on small properties as the ZTR, though, due to faster turning, and did it with less turf damage on the wet turf.

Each type has its place and time. I agree with others, I would advise him to keep the ZTR and get a midsize wb.