PDA

View Full Version : Large Mulch Job

simsy71
06-09-2003, 02:59 PM
I just finished a 16 yard mulch job. I am a one person crew so it took me 2 days to finish. There were 3 very large areas were I had to mulch. I basically used the old wheelbarrow and Shovel. I had the mulch delivered to the place. I charged the customer 80 per yard. I have never used a company that provided Mulch Blowing but my question is would it be worth it in the future. Does anyone know what the charge per yard(average price)

LawnSmith
06-09-2003, 03:57 PM
16 yards isnt large but for 1 person it wouldnt be that much fun!

we generally charge between 55-70 bucks per yard depending on terrain, difficulty of landscapes, type of material used, etc.

simsy71
06-09-2003, 03:59 PM
i agree that it is not large in the big picture. I think I should have rented a bobcat to move the stuff around. Thanks for the reply

Westbrooklawn
06-09-2003, 04:01 PM
I have not used a mulch installation company, but I did get prices from them at one time. My best recollection was that I could have them do the work, and add about $15/yd to the billable price. On a job like yours that would equate to $240 in my pocket just for the administrative expense of measuring, arranging for the work, and billing the customer.

BRL
06-09-2003, 05:10 PM
If you do a search over in the Landscaping Forum you will find many threads about this subject. Unless there are very difficult site considerations, or a schedule problem, for a small 16 yard job I wouldn't bother with hiring one. I have subcontracted them a bunch of times for 40 - 160 yard jobs and it worked out great. I'm getting 100 yards of Fibar Playground Mulch blown in next week and will make $5.00\yd for my efforts (call the subcontractor, point at the playgrounds we built for the crew that brings the truck, mail the invoice the following day). Those beds must have been real far from the mulch pile, or your wheel barrows needed a little more air to take 2 days for that job ;) :D
But you got a good price for your work, so you still made a great hourly rate, and your back didn't hurt as much as it could have at a faster pace.

turfman59
06-09-2003, 11:07 PM
I just did a streetscape project, pretty fast ....
3 men, one articulating Bobcat 3/4 yd bucket
65 yards...
done in 30 man hours
One full day
netted 900.00 dollars
I was way too cheap
wont do that again LOL

turfcare
06-10-2003, 02:27 PM
I have mulched this year until I am mulched out. I too am looking into subbing out a blower next year. I have not made much if any money mulching this year. My prices were too low but it is about the going rate around here. If I can't sub it out next year, I probably won't do it. Bottom line: Too much work, not enough money!

crazygator
06-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by turfcare
My prices were too low but it is about the going rate around here.

Your just down the road from me, what are you getting per yard delivered and installed? We average $55 and seem to do good at that number.

I do agree with blowing in large area's. What a huge time saver, plus you pocket a little money as well just for watching THEM work! :D

turfcare
06-10-2003, 05:00 PM
The going rate around here is $35.00 to $45.00 a yard installed. This is ridiculously cheap. I think blowing will be the way to go. I will bid at least $55.00 next year and that will be as low as I go or I won't do it. How is your business in the big city?

Scraper
06-11-2003, 12:31 PM
To answer your question, I just had a blower service to my larger properties this season as I am in the same position as yourself. He charged me $22/yard to install and $17/yard for material. I charge $85/yard installed. All said and done some nice $$$ for just edging. Those were 20+ yard sites.