PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Questions

ztrguy
06-09-2003, 06:43 PM
I've been reading a lot on fueling up at the pumps. All of these people that are filling up their gas cans in the back of pickups and filling up their lawn mowers while they are still on the trailer are having problems with static electricity and igniting fires.

How does everyone else go about filling up their equipment/fuel cans?

Anyone store their gas cans inside an enclosed trailer all day long? It says the vapors can ignite also. So I was wondering what you're supposed to do with your gas cans?

Everyone post how you go about this.

Thanks.

DLCS
06-09-2003, 06:49 PM
I fill my mowers while they are on the trailer. Gas cans get filled on the ground.

longviewlawncare
06-09-2003, 07:00 PM
same as DLCS.

mowerman90
06-09-2003, 07:21 PM
The soloution's a simple one. Move to Florida like me and you won't have to worry about dry air anymore. Humidity this morning was around 95% and 90 degrees outside. I know it's gonna be a rough day when I get up and the sliding glass doors on our house are fogged up ON THE OUTSIDE. Oh well, it does make the grass grow.

ztrguy
06-09-2003, 08:42 PM
I fill my mower up on the trailer and take the cans and fill them on the ground as well.

mowerman90,

I would love to move to Florida, but I don't know how easy it is to find work down there. If was easy and wouldn't take but a couple years to get some money coming in I would do it in a second. How long have you been servicing FL?

mowerman90
06-09-2003, 09:14 PM
ZTRGUY,

I moved here from Pittsburgh in 1987. Started my business in 1989 and haven't looked back since. As an example of what you can do in this state: A friend of mine who lives in Orlando started his lawn care business just a couple of months ago and as of next month will have receivables of over 15,000.00 per month. That's not typical by any means but with hard work, a little luck and the right equipment and territory $3000 to $5000 per month are easily attainable.

NYRookie
06-09-2003, 09:49 PM
I fill the cans on the ground and the mower on the trailer. Just remember to keep the nozzle in contact with the mower. If you leave a gap all the way around the nozzle when you are filling, that is when you can get in trouble.

Heron Cove PM
06-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by NYRookie
Just remember to keep the nozzle in contact with the mower. If you leave a gap all the way around the nozzle when you are filling, that is when you can get in trouble.

NYRookie says it best. You need to keep the nozzle grounded; it has to touch the side of the filling neck. The problem with cans is people have plastic cans sitting on top of plastic bed liners. There is no ground created this way. I've been in the fire service 20 some years and I have seen numerous documents on fires resulting from filling cans, but not one from filling lawn mowers on a trailer. I'm not saying it's not possible, I just haven't seen any cases of it.

mtdman
06-10-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by DLCS
I fill my mowers while they are on the trailer. Gas cans get filled on the ground.

Ditto.

:D

Zattpazz
06-10-2003, 10:24 PM
I do the same as DLCS.
Zattpazz

Rustic Goat
06-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Certainly fill mower on trailer, ground nozzle as already posted. It's really best to fill any cans while they are on the ground.

Don't you or anyone else get in or out of vehicle while fueling is going on. Turn radio, lights, ignition, anything electrical OFF while fueling.
If you really want to get static free, put an old fashioned grounding strap on your trailer/vehicle.

Phishook
06-11-2003, 03:21 AM
No cell phones, pagers, or anything like that. They can cause a spark too.

I've never experienced it, but I don't want to either.