PDA

View Full Version : is this a good deal?

lildog132
06-09-2003, 08:53 PM
im wanting to spend about 1500 on a commercial walk behind, and i saw this, is this a good deal? they arn't telling the brand of the mower because they said "its due to an agreement with the manufacturer" but they say "its made by a major manufactuturer" tell me what you guys think

mdb landscaping
06-09-2003, 09:04 PM
where is the mower located? is this a special dealer promo price, or did you see this in the for sale section of the paper? if its in the paper, id be a little leary about that not telling the name deal......I dont think anyone will be able to tell you whether its a good deal without knowing the brand, size of deck and motor, gear or hydro etc...

lildog132
06-09-2003, 09:22 PM
its in a magazine and the parts are sold sepratley, the parts are:

1. 12.5 hp Kawasaki power unit -$1000
2. 32" two blade deck -$300
3. A set of 4 weels - $100

So its basically $1400 for it. and than it says the power unit is a Hydro gear Hydrostat, and all the control. so is that a good deal???? whats a Hydro gear Hydrostat? im sorta new at this, does that mean it turns on its own? or am i going to have to lift it up to turn??

FrankenScagMachines
06-09-2003, 09:36 PM
That particular one is on www.smallenginewarehouse.com and it is a single hydro drive like a Ferris single hydro drive, which means it has variable speed but not true zero turning. It uses individual wheel brakes like a belt drive walk behind to turn it. They don't list the name but it is a Great Dane. Probably not a bad deal... but... well as has been said you get what you pay for. I don't think you'll get burned on it, but it's not a dual hydro drive, it's a hybrid belt/hydro drive (not true zero turning). Let us know if ya get it and how it works out.

cajuncutter
06-09-2003, 09:41 PM
So what about belts, hand controls, the blades themselves etc. etc.? Spend the extra 5 or 6 hundred bucks and get the 36 Ex-mark for $1,999, at least that is what they sell for here with the regular controls not ECS. Also consider the warranty and who is going to service it? Can you afford to go down for 2 weeks at the time? As they always say, you get what you pay for!!

lildog132
06-09-2003, 10:28 PM
whats ECS? and if it doesn't have tru zero-turn radius than can i still make it look good? with even lines? or is it just really hard to do?? please explain, it will help me alot to know what im buying before i buy it. thanks:)

BSDeality
06-09-2003, 10:45 PM
its not worth the potential problems you could have, buy a true commercial deck from a dealer. Chances are they have used/demo'd models and will let them go at a good price.

Old 5 LawnCare
06-09-2003, 10:46 PM
I will be buying one of these units in a few months, it is going to be my winter project.

I will be taking the 15hp Kaw. off of my 36"TTHP and puting it on this unit, while puting the 18 hp Kohler on the 36" Exmark.

Both my Exmarks have mulching kits on, I figure I will get a bagger so I can bag or side discharge with this unit. Also I can do some of the crappy yard where I dont like taking the Exmarks.

65hoss
06-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by lildog132
its in a magazine and the parts are sold sepratley, the parts are:

1. 12.5 hp Kawasaki power unit -$1000
2. 32" two blade deck -$300
3. A set of 4 weels - $100

...and the fool that buys it-$Priceless:dizzy:

Stay away from deals that are to good to be true. That deal could sink your business.

lildog132
06-10-2003, 02:01 AM
65hoss

why is it bad? how do you know if it's a bad deal or not???? my budget is tight, and i cant spend a whole lot of money, i can only spend about $1500

bobbygedd
06-10-2003, 02:08 AM
lildoggy, i purchased 3 walk behind mowers used, one 32, and 2 48's. three yrs ago, and all 3 are still running great. they were $500, $300, and $600. shop around.

reelgrass92
06-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Sounds to me like its a real push mower.:D
Probably MTD made. I have had a guy try to sell me a 52" WB, he worked at at MTD factory but he got it before he quit the factory. He never used it. He said he wanted $2000 for it. It didn't have a name or anything on it but it was hydro, I belive it was 19hp. Probably close to a Lesco. I ended up holding off. I am investing on a new truck.

Hud
06-10-2003, 03:39 AM
i can only spend about $1500 From your tone, it sounds like you want to go with the build your own. Personally, I think most of these guys are offering you some good advice. Fifteen $100 bills in-hand could possibly buy you a nice used mower. You might have to do some looking and bargaining. Don't buy something low quality out of desperation.

"they arn't telling the brand of the mower because they said "its due to an agreement with the manufacturer" but they say "its made by a major manufactuturer" That sounds to me like a come-on, a very bad sign. YMMV

65hoss
06-10-2003, 10:54 AM
65hoss

why is it bad? how do you know if it's a bad deal or not???? my budget is tight, and i cant spend a whole lot of money, i can only spend about $1500
If I had time I would write you a book on this question.
Never go cheap on equipment, budget is fine but cheap isn't. Take that $1500 and find a good used w/b. We have all made some bad purchases and the advice I'm giving is based off experience. Get a machine that you can get help and support with. At some point, you will wish you had it.

CoachLinz
06-10-2003, 01:41 PM
I bought an older Bobcat 48" w/b that is completely overhauled - new variable speed transmission, new belt, brakes, engine work, etc for $1000. It doesn't look new but it runs perfectly which is all that matters. You could save yourself some cash for other equipment by finding a good used mower.