PDA

View Full Version : Thatch

Boltzie
06-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Before I aerated and overseeded in early April, a professional lawn care company checked my lawn. At the time, approximately 80% of my back yard and 40% of my front yard were completely dead from grub activity. Although I treated the lawn late in November, I plan on applying Merit sometime in the next few weeks. My lawn has completely filled in after I aerated and overseeded in April, but I assume I still have the thatch problem. In April, the thatch was approximately 1" thick and I did aerate the lawn vigorously. Most professionals recommend removeing the entire lawn with a sod cutter for a thatch problem similar to mine, but I currently don't see why. My questions are as follows;

1. Should I wait it out through the summer and see how the lawn performs once all this rain has subsided?

2. Should I plan on aerateing and overseeding again in the fall to try to decrease the thatch problem?

3. Should I de-thatch and overseed in the fall to try to decrease the thatch problem?

4. How much will adding earthworms to my lawn help the thatch problem? Also, will the Merit kill the earthworms?

5. I will try to post some pictures of before and after my big spring job. My Uncle/Neighbor desodded and completely replanted new grass at a cost of around $2k. My costs were about $250 for seed/starter fert/and lime and a lot of hard work. I sure hope desodding my lawn will not be required in the fall because of the thatch problem.

Thanks,
Dan

Grassmechanic
06-09-2003, 10:06 PM
1" of thatch doesn't warrant the sod needing to be replaced. Keep up with the Spring/Fall aerating schedule and it will be fine. Merit will not kill earthworms. There are some organic based chemicals that can aid in the breakdown of thatch, however I don't believe your case warrants their application. Stick to aerating/overseeding, it'll be fine.

Mike

LawnLad
06-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Rent a verticutter or dethathather (if you don't have creeping bent grass) and dethatch the lawn. Then you can aerate and overseed. Aeration may help to reduce some of the thatch - but you're counting on the microorganisms in the soil to eat through the thatch. If you have an active lawn the thatch may be accumulating faster then it's breaking down from aerating.

Get the merit down within in the next week if possible. If you going to thatch - do that first. Aerate again, spread Merit and seed.

Mike Bradbury
06-11-2003, 12:11 AM
dethatching is a waste of time. If you pull up enough to actually do any good, you'll have no turf left. Punch the holes. it works.