PDA

View Full Version : what bagging mower do u prefer?

B&B LAWN
06-09-2003, 10:42 PM
which bagging mower would you recommend?

LB Landscaping
06-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Love my Walker, leaves a GREAT cut.

EJK2352
06-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Lazer with an UltraVac. Best of both worlds.

rob1325
06-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Scag cub with spindle Vac.

gene gls
06-10-2003, 01:03 AM
Hustler Super Z with Bac-Vac unit

John Gamba
06-10-2003, 07:55 AM
Lazer Eps Ultra-Vac!

Strawbridge Lawn
06-10-2003, 08:07 AM
OK, bagging effectiveness and quality of cut are very important, but what makes our job eficient or inefficient is how often we have to dump. WHat are the capacity comparisons and ease of dumoping or bag loading??

walker-talker
06-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Walker 9.5 bushel hopper with 26 efi Kohler
Suits my needs, but I just use it in spring and fall. I use the 52" deck in the summer.

MATT

o-so-n-so
06-10-2003, 10:03 AM
I'm with the Lazer guys.....UltraVac

P&J Lawncare
06-10-2003, 10:37 AM
super z with bac-vac unit has my vote also.

Zattpazz
06-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Walker has my vote.
Zattpazz

MOW ED
06-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Walker for bagging when needed. No extra motors chutes belts. Just change the deck and bag. None better.

lawnman_scott
06-11-2003, 12:18 AM
I like any kind of bagging mower as long as i dont own it or have to use it

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-11-2003, 12:51 AM
The only time I bag grass is when the turf is wet.

There are better choices than the Walker for this application

brucec32
08-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by MOW ED
Walker for bagging when needed. No extra motors chutes belts. Just change the deck and bag. None better.

Nope, no extra motors, chutes or belts. But one has to switch heavy decks in the field, spend several thousand extra for a comparable size and power mower in the first place, plus another couple grand for a 2nd deck, which you have to store on your trailer for when you need it.

The Walker is a niche mower and has its following. Great cut quality reputation, arguably superior in some hillside situations, better out-front trimmability than mid-mounts, flip up decks ease blade changes and cleaning, integrated GHS.

But it's been passed by in features, durability, and productivity and is in need of an updated design.

1. No easy height adjust on the fly
2. Noticably slower ground speed
3. Switching from bagging to discharge or mulch requires in most cases 3 different decks.
4. Decks appear shallow, I assume they're not as good in heavy tall grass.
5. Some problems with traction going uphill.
6. Reputation with some for being more fragile than others.
7. Pretty darn long w/o deck flipped up.

All but the last one seem fixable w/o a total redesign. But for the type of use many have for a zero turn mower, (cool season grass, medium-large properties, flat out discharging at high speed) I think a ZTR with a spindle-driven collection system for part-time use is a better bet.

If all you do is collect clippings on intricately landscaped high end warm season grass, get a Walker. But I've had good to great results mulching on that type of turf and find bagging a huge time and energy waster, as well as being a pain to deal with disposal. I can make two passes over a lawn mulching before I'll equal the time it takes to bag one pass and dump clippings, load clippings onto a vehicle, then dispose of them at a dump site. And I rarely have to two-pass it when mulching. Not wanting to have to drive a dump truck to tow my trailer every day, I prefer to mulch on lawns that have lots of clipping volume anyway. I filled the bed of my Dodge Ram last week when I bagged one medium sized Bermuda home lawn as an experiment. No thanks.

brucec32
08-11-2003, 12:53 AM
I noticed that Toro has a new PTO driven system that is mounted on the rear and sucks the clippings up to the hopper, rather than blowing them up a pipe. Sounds like it might be less likely to clog...or, based on the results of some of Toro's recent designs....more so. I'll be interested in seeing how this works for the early-adapters who try it.

The dump from the seat ability is a huge time saver. Back onto the trailer, dump on a tarp, and get back to work.

I also notice they have a new "turbo force" deck design on most of their ZTRs. Apparently SFS wasn't.....sorry.....cutting it.