PDA

View Full Version : What's your method of blade sharpening?

ConPro
06-09-2003, 11:05 PM
What's your technique, and how often do you do it? With all this rain in Pennsylvania it has been like a friggin marsh when I would get a chance to venture under the deck. I take them off and sharpen with a vice and a disc sander. I try for once a week, but that can always turn into 8 to 9. What's your secret? Thanks in utero.

grshppr
06-09-2003, 11:13 PM
I use a bench grinder. Not the best, but it'll do until I buy a proper blade sharpener. I sharpen every 4 days of mowing, I should do it more often, but never have the time. (Actually its a case of laziness and wanting to sit back and have a beer when I get home:D )

CO.d 502nd
06-09-2003, 11:21 PM
I sharpen two sets of blades for evey mower for every mowing day.
Fresh ste goes on every morning and then another set on mid day.
I sharpen all sets on my off day .

SWD
06-09-2003, 11:24 PM
I really do not have a set schedule of sharpening. I visually inspect the blade then check the leading edge. Any questions, off it comes.
I used to sharpen with a 25,000rpm die grinder but as of last week, I picked up a used Foley United rotary blade grinder.
Wow, what a difference - it is easier, faster, restores a uniform leading edge and foil and is much quicker to boot.

David Haggerty
06-09-2003, 11:48 PM
I put three 14" blades on a chop saw.
Pull the handle down to the stop and fasten it with a big spring.

That 14" wheel at 3400 rpm is faster than any commercial blade grinder. Throws sparks clear to the ceiling! (probably not the safest thing in a post and beam barn.)

If I keep the wheels dressed and don't force the blade they never turn blue.

It's a lot easier to control the grind angle than it is with any handheld grinder.

I've got to hog off a lot of material. A "set" of blades for me is 19 blades. They're 1/4" thick and 18 to 24 inches long.
This is the fastest method I've found to get good results.

But I've never used a commercial blade grinder. And at the prices they're asking I probably never will. I suspect this is faster anyway. I know it's cheaper. I have about $75 total in the chop saw & wheels.

This saw is on sale at the stores for $49 I just bought a spare.
Wheels are extra.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47003

Dave

crazygator
06-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by David Haggerty
But I've never used a commercial blade grinder. And at the prices they're asking I probably never will.

Dave,
The price is not bad when considering the grinding that your doing. Also if you have not ever used one I think you should. It is that much better! :D

I currently have a Neary grinder, but have the Magna Matic on the way, soon I hope!

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-10-2003, 12:10 AM
Mag 8000 universal w/balancer & stand & 6.5hp shop vac.

Every 20 hrs.

MCGRAIL LAWN
06-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Last year we let the blades go 75 hrs.
They were still cutting like new so we didnt change them.
This year we are changing every day and sometime a 2nd set during the day.

I just got the Magna-Matic Stand and Sharpener. The Mag-8000 will arrive in about 2 weeks.

I have been using a bench grinder or an angle grinder.

I think the Magna Matic System will be mutch better.
All I nedd now is the Mag-8000
I have the stand and the balancer and already got the 6.5 hp shop vac.

CO.d 502nd
06-10-2003, 12:38 AM
ULTIMATE PUSHROD

Myself and lgf and eveybody else want to see pics of walkers exmark's lazer z 's turf tigers you supossedly pocess.

rvsuper
06-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Ultimate,
Where did you find that picture?

I sharpen rotary blades everyday.

mtdman
06-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Bench grinder. I keep a few sets of blades and swap 'em around when they need them. Works fine for me.

:D

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-10-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by rvsuperintendant
Ultimate,
Where did you find that picture?

I also have a Mag 9000 but it rarely sees action.

Both are great sharpeners.

Mark P
06-10-2003, 01:05 AM
:) I sharper 12sets of blades Sunday after church, that keeps me going all week long, Ive got the RBG-218 blade grinder, Eric Elm told me thats what he uses so i purchased one 4yr back, Ive had no problems with it and the wheel is still good for a few more yrs...Its a must to have the diamond tip dresser, its cleans the wheel up real nice....Marks Mowing Service

gogetter
06-10-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
I also have a Mag 9000 but it rarely sees action.

Wanna sell it?

BobR
06-10-2003, 08:34 AM
I put on a sharp set of blades daily and while under the deck I clean out any buildup of crud that might restrict clippings discharge. I use a Fireball Jr. blade grinder and find that with daily changes of the blades I am able to resharpen them with just a few passes across the grinding stone. I like to go fast on the Z and in most cases sharp blades and a clean deck will help you do just that (if mother nature is cooperative).
BobR

Strawbridge Lawn
06-10-2003, 10:34 AM
TIMO, THE PRICES ON THESE SHRPENERS ARE OUTRIGHT REDICULOUS. I AM WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO MODIFIY A BENCH GRINDER OR SOME OTHE DEVICE FOR LESS THAN 1/2 THE PRICE. i WILL BUY ONE THEN. TILL THEN,, BENCH GRINDERE AND FILE FOR ME. 3 MINUTES A BLADE. i SHARPEN EVERY 2 WEEKS AND ONLY NOTICE A SLIGHT (IF ANY) DIFFERENCE WHEN SHARPENED IN REG GRASS. BIGGER DIFFERENCE IN HEAVIER GRASS SINCE i MULCH.

David Haggerty
06-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
It is that much better! :D

I dunno..I just can't see it.

My grinding surface speed is faster, comes out to around 141 MPH.
Plus I'm grinding with carborundum blades. Which are second only to diamonds in hardness.
Plus all of the "commercial" grinders use induction motors.
The chop saws' armature motor maintains rpms' better under load.

Sounds to me like I'd be taking a couple of steps down.

I just ain't tempted to lay out close to a grand to try one.
Maybe I'll try one at someone else's shop or a trade show.

I'm just not pressed to improve my blade sharpening production.
What I have is fast, it's cheap and the blades don't turn blue. Plus it holds the sharpening angle within one degree.

Dave

Good luck with your Magna-Matic though.

lawncare3
06-11-2003, 03:00 AM
I use a $8- file. On rare occasion I use a bench grinder.

GTLC
11-10-2003, 06:37 PM
regular bench grinder all the way.