PDA

View Full Version : Leaving clippings on top?

Lawn-Scapes
06-10-2003, 12:20 AM
Do you guys leave clippings lay on the surface of your lawns? I'm not talking clumps but like a thin blanket of clippings.. I tend to double cut if there are any clippings but maybe I'm being too picky? I cut large 1-3 acres properties and it takes too long to double cut these. I'll have to get a new camera and take some pics as to what I'm referring to...

mtdman
06-10-2003, 12:30 AM
I do smaller residentials, and if there are clippings left on top, I'll go over them with a blower to diffuse them and get them to "disappear" into the lawn. If the clippings are significant enough, I'll double cut, in another direction. This usually helps make them "disappear" as well. In rare occassions, beginning of the season, etc, when things are wet, I will rake and bag them if necessary.

Doing that kind of stuff on 1-3 acres is a pain in the arse, though. That's why i don't cut those size lawns.

:D

Mark P
06-10-2003, 12:40 AM
:) Double blades will solve your problem, clippings turn into a dust and fall down into the grass, Try them and youll see what im talking about, use gators on top and regular high lifts on bottom.......Marks Mowing Service

Lawn-Scapes
06-10-2003, 12:45 AM
I have tried doubles a few times and get the same results but with smaller clippings. The blowout is annoying too.

Mark P
06-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Lawn scapes remove a spacer and your doubles will be at the same height as singles, i run doubles on everything and never have had a blowout, just adjust your spacers......Marks Mowing Service

Bluesteel
06-10-2003, 12:59 AM
Doubles do help me in this situation, but I have installed skirting around the back and sides of the deck to minimize blowout. Whenever the discharge gets heavy, Iíll use the blower to disperse the thick spots. If the discharge is too thick for a light blow fix, then Iíll double cut if I have to.

Sometimes with rain delays, I have to mow with 10 days of growth instead of 7 days. In that case, Iíll raise the deck. This decreases the discharge volume and justifies another cut in 4-5 days, helping me to get back on the regular schedule.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-10-2003, 01:15 AM
If you can't see them they stay.

If you can run over just those lines to spread them out better.

Rustic Goat
06-10-2003, 03:52 AM
Just how long is the grass you're cutting when this happens?
And you're cutting it from that height down to what?
What speed are you mowing at?

turfcare
06-10-2003, 01:04 PM
I will double cut on small properties if there are clippings but not on large properties. Most of the time I don't have this problem if I use the 1/3 rule.

crazygator
06-10-2003, 02:40 PM
I use mulch kits and usually do not have this problem. Although eariler in the year I have had to double cut a few because of all the rain and thick turf.

Just double cut it and you should be fine! Things will dry out some very soon and you will be back to the normal cutting.