PDA

View Full Version : buying a new truck for pulling and plowing

cntryboymc
06-10-2003, 01:25 AM
hello-im new to this site-lots of great info.i work full time as aservice tech at a ford dealer and do mowing/plowing on the side.im considering going into this full time.any suggestions?also im looking for a reliable truck.i currently plow with a 1995 chevy k2500 4wd with a 8' diamond plow.the truck is awesome(117,000miles),plow is slow though.i get a great discount being a ford employee but worry about reliability issues from what ive seen with fords.im considering a new chevy or gmc 2500 hd with an 8' western ultramount plow.any thoughts?

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-10-2003, 01:45 AM
if you have the money get a new f-350 diesel with a western vee blade , thats about the best money can buy and you could do most parking lots.i have a couple and i am very happy with them . here in buffalo we take our snowplowing seriously ..the chevy sits to low to the ground . the dodge is ok but not as nice as the ford,good luck

longviewlawncare
06-10-2003, 05:47 AM
as long as you get a deisel you should be fine. I would stay away from the 6.0 for about another year though. The guys i know around that have them have had some problems. Not sure what but they have been asking me to help out cause their new truck is in for warrenty work. I love my chevy though.

GLS
06-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Looks like we have identicle trucks cntryboymc:)

I run a 1995 chevy K2500 but with a 7.5' western. I would love to get a new blizzard power plow, if only I had a dealer around here. What engine does your's have? I have the 350. I get about 14 mpg unloaded highway, and 9 mpg loaded city. It's a hell of a work truck. Very reliable, I love chevies. It seems like the majority of members here at lawnsite run fords, and I don't think there is anything wrong with em, but where are all the chevy guys?

About the new 2500HDs, I think they are great trucks. I don't own one, but I would love to have one. You may want to look into a V plow.

Here's my rig.

HarryD
06-11-2003, 12:37 AM
If you were a Chevy tech you would be saying the same thing about Chevys. problem is you only see the trucks when there broke down. believe me they don't all have problems. I own a ford diesel and have had not one problem with it.

NYRookie
06-12-2003, 11:15 PM
I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0, and I love it. I have the Fisher 8' X-Blade on it. I have not had any problems with this truck. I tow a trailer every day and we plowed alot here last winter, 3rd snowiest on record. This truck walks all over the dodge I had. I have never owned a ford, so I can't comment on them. The only thing I will do different this winter is to put a sander in it for the weight and use. I can tow over 10,000 lbs with it and I average 12mpg with the trailer. It also has a tow/haul mode which reprograms the shifting sequence in the transmission when engaged, unlike a ford or dodge that just disengage the overdrive. Just my opinion.

myoder
06-13-2003, 01:02 AM
I have a 03' GMC 2500HD Duramax with an 8' x-blade and love both truck and plow!!!

Definately recommend going with the GM and the diesel has plenty of power for towing and plowing.

Brickman
06-14-2003, 01:06 PM
2000 F250 7.3L PSD with 153K miles on it. Been rode hard and put up wet more than once with very little problems. Was in shop twice for warranty work, reverse light switch on the trans, and a burnt off injector wire at 97K.

Stay away from the new PSD for another year or two. The 7.3L has proven itself and is a great engine. If you don't think it has enough power there are more than enough add ons to make it go faster. :D

cntryboymc
06-14-2003, 04:51 PM
your truck is even the same color as mine. i see you have a ez dump on yours.how much was it? any thing done to suspension on truck?any regrets? does it work well?

GLS
06-15-2003, 12:21 AM
cntryboymc:

I bought the truck used and it came with the ezdumper, but I know they go for about $2,000 installed. Suspension: it has overload springs that I would like to replace with air bags. The springs work good, but if you are on a bumpy road they clank around a lot. Regrets? None whatsoever. It works very well. Very handy for unloading debris or mulch or whatever. It is fairly simple to remove also. I plan on removing it for winter for better gas mileage and visibility when plowing.

One more pic:

cat320
06-15-2003, 10:33 PM
Why take it off that can be your rear ballast. If i had one i would leave it in for that reason but i have a sander so that's mine.

GLS
06-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by cat320
Why take it off that can be your rear ballast. If i had one i would leave it in for that reason but i have a sander so that's mine.
It is good for ballast, but there are four reasons I am going to take it out.

1. Fuel Mileage

2. Visibility

3. Prevents rust from salt

4. Less clanking

Besides, we don't get hardely any snow around here. Last year I plowed twice. If I change my mind, I can always put it back in, no big deal.

dlandscaping
06-16-2003, 12:05 AM
Everyone will have their own opinions ford dodge chevy/gmc. I personally like fords and just bought a f350. My advice stay away from the 6.0l PSD. Heck i get a new truck already its been back to the dealer 3 times in two weeks. Aint I a lucky guy???/