PDA

View Full Version : Chipper/Vac/Shredder=Worth Having?

Rustic Goat
06-10-2003, 02:29 AM
I use w/b's, mulch only.
My area has leaves/pine straw in about equal portions, and occasionally it would be nice to be able to 'pick up' = customer insistence.
Anyone had any success with a stand alone chipper/vac/shredder, or are they more trouble than they are worth?
I've noticed several here have such a device listed on your equipment inventory, just looking for any helpful advice about it being a worthwhile investment or not.
Thanks very much

Hud
06-10-2003, 03:25 AM
The properties I maintain have MAJOR amounts of leaves when they all come down. Trying to mulch them all would kill the lawn or cause a fire. We're talking lots of leaves. Cleanup is done blowing them into piles then vacuuming them into trucks for hauling away.

When there is just a light amount of leaves, not enough for blowing into piles or too many for mulching, I use a Billy Goat lawn vacuum. It's a nice machine for light cleanup. But if you mean pine needles when you say "pine straw", the Billy Goat sucks or I should say, it doesn't suck very well with that.

cos
06-10-2003, 06:05 AM
I bought an MTD and love it. All I need now is the hose attachment for stairwells and those peskey hard to get to areas with the blower. When I pick up a couple of sticks, they go straight into the shredder and don't have to worry no more.

Richard Martin
06-10-2003, 06:34 AM
COS, I have the hose for your MTD and you can have it if you pick it up. Retail on the hose and the snout for it is around $125 or so.