PDA

View Full Version : Treating rusted trailer

The Green Way
06-10-2003, 01:33 AM
Does use anything on rust to neutralize it? I have seen a bunch of products that claim to do this but i wanted to know how its best to treat rust spots on a trailer.

Hud
06-10-2003, 02:06 AM
For years, I've used Extend, put out by Permatex. Excellent product. The latest bottle I bought has a new name: RT-8A Rust Treatment. Same product, same bottle, but with a new name. I guess the word Extend didn't convey rust treatment like the words....Rust Treatment.:D

Rustic Goat
06-10-2003, 03:45 AM
Have used Extend, it works fine.
For heavier/larger applications, The Eastwood Company has several excellent products, they can be found on the Internet, mail order catalog also available.
Product can be purchased and used in brush on form, spray bottle, or dip. Also have thicker paste version for vertical use.
It's actually reusable and non-toxic.

Depending on what your actually trying to accomplish, Rustoleum has a 'rusted metal primer', paint it over rust area and it will seal that area, then paint over with metal paint.

Gravely_Man
06-10-2003, 10:55 AM
I have had excellent results with POR 15. I have not used it on a trailer but it worked great for what I was doing.

Gravely_Man

The Green Way
06-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Who makes the POR 15 product?

NCSULandscaper
06-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Havent used it but i have heard this works pretty good. May be worth a look at:

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?UID=2003061014415648&GEN2=&GEN3=&GEN9=0&T1=RCG

Bill c
06-10-2003, 08:01 PM
I use por 15 on everything I can and have had super results.The only downside is that you cannot work out of the can because it cures with air.When I first started using it I would take a framing nail and poke it through the lid to make a pour hole.When I needed some I would pry the nail out pour some in a little container and put the nail back in to seal it.You can now buy it in small containers which makes it handy for little jobs.

www.por15.com

KZS LAWN SERVICE INC
06-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Just buy a galvanized trailer and you will never have to worry about rust. Thats what I have now and its is so much nicer.

Navig8r
06-10-2003, 10:49 PM
POR-15...... awesome stuff.... holds up well....... check with a local auto parts or automotive paint supply store........

Alan Reagan
06-18-2003, 06:57 AM
They sell some stuff at Lowe's here that you put on steel and it causes a galvanic reaction, turns black and stops rust. I can't remember the name of it but we use it on the steel components of our galvanized trailers being exposed to salt water (boat trailers, Coast Guard) and the stuff works great. It's about $20/gallon and you don't have to grind off the rust before you put it on (unless you want show room finish). I used it on a boat lift three years ago that is constantly submerged in fresh water and it still is showing no signs of rust through. Since I'm brain dead this morning and can't remember, just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and ask them for a recommendation. That's how I found the stuff.