PDA

View Full Version : Do I buy the Dingo or Hire a Foreman...

Georgiehopper
06-10-2003, 09:37 AM
I had an interview set up for a potential job foreman. I know the guy from working with him 4 years ago and he would be a great asset to our company. Hes bilingual, and would not have to be trained at all.

He was supposed to come yesterday at 7:30 pm but he called saying that his wife was upset because she had dinner ready at that time. So... I told him he could come after dinner.

He called around 8;30 pm and left a message saying he was was again having problems with his wife... I guess she didnt want him leaving at that hour of the night or something...

I didnt return his call because I was a bit annoyed. I feel if you are unemployed and serious about working with/for someone, you would at least make an effort to get to the interview. And if his wife was causing problems for him now, what would happen once he was hired?

So, ...since we have no other prospects, I'm really leaning towards forgetting about hiring anyone and paying them a $30,000 a year salary...and instead, buying the dingo and some attachements for $21,000 and paying that off over 5 years.

Any comments?

KerryB
06-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Buy the Dingo, it wont complain about working late.lol

AL Inc
06-10-2003, 10:37 AM
I agree with KerryB. That machine will pay for itself many times over.

KerryB
06-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Oh and Iforgot the Dingo is a full tax writeoff . lol

kickin sum grass
06-10-2003, 09:34 PM
dingo, trust me you don't want to hire this guy. Think of why he is unemployed right now. You think it might be because "I can't come to work today cuz my wife is upset". This interview should have been the most important thing at the time for someone unemployed. You can always eat later but the job may not be there later. And in this case shouldn't be an option for him. I only say this cuz I have been thru employees like that. What I do now is schedule an interview at odd time of the day. If they are serious about the job they will make it (the time is agrred upon between both parties). If they call and give some bogus excuse I say ok but no thank you. This will weed out the people only looking for a paycheck for beer money. Now it may be a different story for a guy working and has to work late or wife in the hospital or something like that.

Green in Idaho
06-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Who is going to run that Dingo?

The following may seem derogatory but it's offered friendly-like.

7:30/ 8:30 is family time for most people! His priority is with his wife/family. That's where it should be. If you can't understand that and can't give the guy some slack then you may not be such a great 'catch of an employer.'

You said you have no other prospects. In this economy??? Come on! What's the problem?

I'm not saying give him a break, but rather be reasonable about your expectations. If someone wants to have an interview with me at 7:30 PM it better include a steak and some gin- for me and my wife (if I had one).

If I was a potential customer and called you at 9 PM to come give me another bid on something because that is the only time convenient for ME, is it reasonable that if you don't JUMP I should assume you don't want the work bad enough.

The fact you are setting up an appt at 7:30p.m. for other people's time says A LOT about you and your business/family values.

He's probably got an unemployement check or knows he's valuable as an experienced bilingual. If you don't pick him up, there's another LCO down the street willing to make a DAYTIME interview and someone who respects his time and his family's time.

Enjoy your Dingo. :alien:

kels
06-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Green in Idaho said it all.

Georgiehopper
06-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Well in my neck of the woods the landscaping folks work until dark.

This guy has nothing better to do by the way..his wife is unemployed and they spend the whole day together.

I ask people what times are convenient for them....he said 7:30 was fine..and he lives near me. He said he needs work and he wanted to talk right away. So I told him the soonest I could see him would be in the evening.

You people can think what you like about me and my values. I work with my husband and have no children, so I guess I havent a clue. I don't sit on my butt behind a desk waiting for people to come through the door..I have to work hard everyday out in the field and in the office.

And yes, it is difficult to find decent help in my area...its Washington D.C. area...everyone wants to make $60,000 a year straight out of college.

I don't need flaming from anyone... I come here for support.

and I'm going to run the Dingo.

Lanelle
06-10-2003, 11:55 PM
Foremen are hard to find in this area. People with the skills and experience are often tempted to start their own business and others that want to be employed are looking at companies that offer lots of benefits. (Not saying that you aren't offering enough, just know that the pickings are slim in Northern Virginia) Another thought--maybe his wife is the jealous type and he was afraid of the situation.
I fully understand your frustration. Sometimes they show for the interview, all goes well and they don't show up for the first day of work. I wish I knew the answer.
Oh, look at the tracked Dingo. Iron is at least a partial answer.

AztlanLC
06-10-2003, 11:59 PM
I think everybody has a good point, no offense but why even bother to ask when you know the decision you're taking, you just want everybosy to say, yeah you're right.

why don't you take both choices, buy the dingo and pay it in 5 years that's 5,000 a year, if you're thinking hiring someone for $30k that means you cand add another $5k easy, if he is not a good worker you can always fire him.

Just as a side note, you can make more money not being in the field.

Rustic Goat
06-11-2003, 03:41 AM
Your acquaintance's history has been tainted by whatever is going on in his life today.
You KNOW that hiring him would be a mistake and cost you in the long run.

If he and his wife are not working, it should not matter what time of day/night the appointment is set for. We are not in the retail industry with store type hours.
Sounds like there is a reason he's unemployed.
There's got to be an untold story/reason for the why, and none of us what to know.

Go with the equipment and you can mentor someone into a crew chief position.

Lanelle
06-12-2003, 10:59 PM
How did you like the Dingo?