PDA

View Full Version : Business Plan

studentlawn
06-10-2003, 02:03 PM
I was searching around the site and I was surprised when I could not find anything on a business plan. I was wondering if anyone has a sample business plan that would be willing to give out. I am in the midst of creating my own so I can get some investors and grants, but it is tough; I want mine to be as thorough as possible.

I am also wondering if anyone knows if the $100 for Microsoft business plan pro is worth it?

Sam

Green in Idaho
06-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Investors?? Do you mean like your family?
Grants? Are you planning on mowing in Never, NeverLand.

You may search the full Internet for sample business plans. This in NOT the only site on the net. But that does surprise me too,,,, uhm I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Let it Grow
06-10-2003, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't buy the business plan software. Go to www.sba.gov and do a lot of reading. They have everything you need to get started on your business plan. Do a good job on it and know what you are talking about so when they ask you questions you will know the answers. Good luck!

Green in Idaho
06-10-2003, 04:12 PM
That would've been too much of a surprise... I looked and here are the related thread I found before I got bored:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29965&highlight=business+plan
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35634&highlight=business+plan
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38003&highlight=business+plan
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37513&highlight=business+plan
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35136&highlight=business+plan
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13529&highlight=business+plan

Not too much meat, though, and appropriately so. A good business plan is going to be so specific that using someone else's is not going to meet the objective.

walker-talker
06-10-2003, 04:13 PM
go to your local sba or small business developmental center...they can help. The ones here went out to all the local bankers and now give $20 seminars on how to put one together. They will even meet with you one on one....for free. That's here and not sure how it is there for you.

MATT

studentlawn
06-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the help, I will look into those seminar's. Im not sure why I couldnt find any posts on this, I guess i wasnt looking hard enough. Well as far as grants, you guys seem to be suprised that I say that. Most think grants are impossible, but I think if you keep searching and asking and asking they come around. Right now my high school president is working with my current college's president in funding a grant for my business. Also my partners boss who is a family friend asked Ari to propose a business plan and marketing strategy and they would come up with some money, we didnt even ask or bring it up. I think as young entrepreneurs we may be at an advantage.

Sam

John Allin
06-11-2003, 07:54 AM
If you think you can, or you think you can't....... you're right.

Go get the grant.

Ajays
06-13-2003, 01:38 PM
The business plan pro software looks really thorogh but a real pain to work on. I worked on it for hours and hours and felt like I was getting nowhere. The questions it asks you are so complex and don't seem to relate too much to our industry. Good luck with your plan.

GrassBustersLawn
09-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Do you think your "partners boss" is going to want a Return On Investment? If so, how many "partners" are you going to have? Suggestion: Start slow using whatever capital you have. Reinvest it until you have equipment you need. That way you have less people sticking their nose into your business!

Mike

dave80
09-04-2003, 03:02 AM
Someone told me that this book was pretty good for the basic stuff. They are currently in the process of writing a business plan to open a wholesale electrical parts business.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0028638883/qid=1062655169/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-4672493-4880708?v=glance&s=books

I did not read it though.

LawnLad
09-05-2003, 10:00 AM
The key to writing a business plan is understanding where you want to go. You must have specific goals and know what you want to accomplish with the business. And truly believe these goals. Don't just state some things that you think sound good, because your plan will demonstrate how plan on accomplishing your stated goals.

Below are the sections you'll need to write your plan. There are many, many outlines out there from which to use as a guide for how to write your plan. No one outline is the right outline. Choose what seems right to you. Some outlines are designed more for high tech or something unrelated, so the structure won't feel right.

Ultimately the plan is going to read like a book. So all of the lists you'll make and outlines you'll jot down for the plan should be spelled out. You may list a few things such as the cities you work in or geographic area or a quick summary list of the services you'll offer and then you'll go through and detail the service offerings and discuss how what's involved.

The number preceeding each section is the order it would appear in your plan, but you'll write them more or less in the order that they appear here. Write them in any order you wish, but it will be easier to write sections 1 - 3 last.

4. Product/Service Summary - what service, how you deliver it, competitive advantages, benefits to the customer, etc.

5. Market Analysis - who's your competition, why are you better them, what kind of oportunities/threats exist.

6. Marketing Plan - 4 P's - product, placement, promotion, and price. What's your sales strategy. This section is the how am I going to sell that which I say I'm going to deliver. Is the plan feasible.... this is a key section.

7. Financial Summary - financial statments (Profit/Loss, cash flow, balance sheet), list your assumptions, break even analysis and minor discussion about the numbers in your financials. This is where you justify the need for investment and how you intend on paying it back - showing with your cash flow and profit/loss.

8. Appendix - you'll add things here that don't belong in the text/body of the plan. You'll point to the Appendix for further explanation of say marketing research, calculations for capacity or labor production, etc. to justify your capacity or ability to deliver on your product/service. Don't use the body to bore the reader with details, put these in the appendix.

3. Company Overview - this is a little back ground about the company, no more than 1.5 to 2 pages. You'll also list the key people and management structure for the company. This most likely will be you.

2. Company Direction - This explains what your present situation is - what you doing right at the moment. Include a Vision Statement - where are you going, broader picture. Mission Statement. And what are the company goals (12 months and then the next 2 to 3 years or for whatever your plan focuses on). The goals are you milestones that you are trying to accomplish.

1. Executive Summary - this section is the last section you'll write because it summarizes everything you've already written. It should encapsulate your concept. You want this to entice the reader to continue on in the plan. The feasilibility of your concept will be summarized right here. You'll make your request for funding right at the beginning.... "The purpose of this plan is to secure $XX for capital investment in XX landscape company for the purpose of purchasing addtional equipment for planned expansion....."

0. Table of Contents

Hope this helps... good luck getting your grants.

draftlawncare
01-19-2004, 09:42 PM
try your local score office they will help for free

Team Gopher
01-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Here is a great sample (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=602)business plan.

DAZED AND CONFUSED
01-21-2004, 03:44 PM
bye the way score is usually found at your local chamber of commerce look into it because alot of theese retired executives have tons of related info for you and its all free.

on another note one thing i learned is what ever funds you think you need to start your buisness double it you need to be prepared to replace broken equip. and so on also if you borrow money you need to be able to pay your initial payments while growing your customer base example if you borrow 10 grand and use it all for equip. you will have no working capital to pay your bills it takes a while to build a solid customer base but be patient and always seek out advice this site is perfect for this and shows you are taking the proper stepps good luck

Randy J
01-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Sam,

I have a business plan I would be willing to share with you, if you think it will help. Business plans are very specific, but it may give you some ideas. If you want it, just email me at rdj_1@charter.net.

Randy