PDA

View Full Version : What type of Mulch?

Helimon
06-10-2003, 02:46 PM
I built my house last year and I have spent all spring working on making it beautiful :) I have planted a lot of plants in the front and had the yard sanded to get out some of the major bumps.

I have not done a lot in the back as of yet, but I am thinking of biting the bullet and replacing the old pine straw in all of the beds. However, I am not sure what to use. I am in the Atlanta Georgia area and have a 1+ acre lot with bermuda grass.

I was thinking of something like the usual wood chip mulch, but my wife said that she heard of a mulch made from old tires that looks great and lasts up to 10 years.

So, any suggestions on what type of mulch to use?

Thanks,

Matthew

crazygator
06-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Helimon
I was thinking of something like the usual wood chip mulch, but my wife said that she heard of a mulch made from old tires that looks great and lasts up to 10 years.

Matthew,
You arent my cousin are you? Mine lives somewhere there in Hotlanta area, and shares your same first name.

Anyway,
At our recent home lawn show I looked at the rubberific mulch your wife is talking about. It looks like a decent product, but remember it will not decompose like regular mulch. I have questions about its long term durability and environmental issues as well.

I would suggest staying with a good grade wood mulch, in whatever variety you wish to use! Pine straw is ok too, but I understand if your looking for a change.

NCSULandscaper
06-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Personally i would use a triple shredded hardwood mulch. With the small fibers packed slightly into place a flood couldnt wash that stuff away.

NCYARDBOY
06-11-2003, 01:11 AM
I like using the pine bark mulch, whether you use the large size bark , or the smaller size. It lasts much longer than the pinestraw, and I think it looks good, too!
About the 'old tire by-product "mulch"' PLEASE don't use!! Yeah, it might last forever, but that's just it! It never goes away. I can't think of one thing that it does FOR the environment (except save the landfill space those tires would normally take up).
When organic mulch decomposes, it adds nutrients to the soil, plus it stimulates microorganism activity (which is good for the soil & plant life). I could go on.
And by the way, they make plastic turfgrass too, but who wants to use that on their lawn.!?:D

NCYARDBOY
06-11-2003, 01:16 AM
Oh! by the way. I've heard that the chipped wood mulch could attract termites, AND it does 'mat' down when wet.

greenman
06-11-2003, 11:19 AM
No ,dont use the old pine bark. That stuff is a waste of money. It will float away very easy. You cant blow leaves and debris out, because the bark will blow away with because its too light weight. It attracts bugs,roaches, and ,yes, termites. Go with a hardwood mulch. It wont float away, and packs down to make a great weed barrier. Just remember not to put the mulch up against the base of the plants. I have a customer right now that their plants literally burned from the moisture from the mulch up against the base.