PDA

View Full Version : Beginner question

eaglelawn
06-10-2003, 02:49 PM
i have a Stihl 48 inch mower, and i am having trouble loosening the blades so i can sharpen them.

is there anybody who can give me advice/tips on an easy way to do it?

im not really that strong.

superman
06-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Best thing I ever did was buy a Impact Wrench.

lawncare3
06-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by eaglelawn
i have a Stihl 48 inch mower, and i am having trouble loosening the blades so i can sharpen them.

is there anybody who can give me advice/tips on an easy way to do it?

im not really that strong.

What's a Stihl mower? :confused: :confused:

Auroris
06-10-2003, 06:18 PM
I'll be doggoned. I have checked around and can't seem to find a Stihl mower, either.

Anyhow, use a pair of leather gloves so you don't hurt yourself and get a wrench and then be careful (even dull, nicked blades can rack your knuckles & leave them bloodied). If the blades are rusted or gooped on, try some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench and let it sit for a few minutes.

I'm with superman, above, if you don't quite have the juice to get the bolt to budge, you might need to get ahold of an impact wrench.

Jyst as important, though, is when you go to put blades back on the mower. Torque them down to the specified tightness. You don't want it coming loose on you at several thousand RPM.

John Gamba
06-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Can You Post a Picture PLEASE!!

BigEd
06-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Wedge a piece of 2x4 in between the deck and blade so that it will not move. Then get a piece of pipe and stick over your breaker bar or socket driver making it longer. More leverage,makes it alot easier.
:drinkup:

John Gamba
06-10-2003, 07:59 PM
BigEd What if He has a spindle Like Scag's?
John:drinkup:

BobR
06-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Lets see now-- 'righty tighty' or 'lefty loosey' unless you are working upside down then i guess it would be 'lefty tighty' and 'righty loosey'.. But wait we have bolts with 'left hand thread' and bolts with 'right hand thread' - Hmm - I wonder which a Stihl 48 might have.. Mabe a rule of thumb would be 'to loosen turn the bolt in the opposite direction of the blade rotation'.

All the good tools have been previously mentioned..

John Gamba has THE BEST solution. If we can see a pic odds are we will be able to figure out how to remove the blades.

BobR

John Gamba
06-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Thank You Bob
But If You Can Not do A Pic, Maybe Fined Out what Mower It really Is and We can Help. Is It a SUTEK Or something Like that?

BigEd
06-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
BigEd What if He has a spindle Like Scag's?
John:drinkup:

Never owned a Scag.I run 2 Lazer Eps,and a 48 belt drive Lesco works on these.I also had JD 935 did same way.Whats the different in the spindles.

Navig8r
06-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Scag uses a long bolt which passes up from the bottom, through the blade, spacers, and spindle, and has a nut on top......

However....... an impact gun will usually take the nut off fast without even holding the blade......

otherwise, use 2 wrenches....... if the threads are rusty, use a LITTLE anti-sieze compound when you re-assemble.

If this is a bolt-only spindle (no nut on the other end), then the suggestion to use the 2x4 is best...... I change my blades at home with an impact gun, but I always carry a chunk of wood, and a 24" breaker bar with a socket in the truck.