PDA

View Full Version : 17 guys browsing

mikesjumpingin
06-10-2003, 02:18 PM
2:15 pm, stuck at my day job, noticing first and last sunny day in weeks, counting minutes to get the heck out of here and start cutting, I wondered why so few guys were on lawnsite... DUH!!!

I'm wondering how many cuts people got in today.:blob2:

UGA
06-10-2003, 02:26 PM
NM

lildog132
06-10-2003, 03:11 PM
none, too wet out. there are lawns that have been not cut for 10 days now, that are getting bad, and customers are calling me like crazy asking where I am. I tell them to look outside.....

lawndreamer
06-10-2003, 03:21 PM
I'm completely, freaking, sick of my Job. I wish I had a mower so bad. Did u all start out knocking on doors with an old pick up, and a 21"er? I called for Insurance today and everyone has to call me back. I want to get started so badly I'm getting a head ache thinking about it.

The Lawn Boy Pro
06-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Its poured so hard here in Michigan (Waterford) today all I did was put some engine degreaser on my machines in the garage, and let them sit for 10 minutes or so, then put them all out in the driveway to get a "power wash" for free :D . Sharpened some blades on my Z, Honda, and changed oil in some other stuff. Not much to do today. I have a wireless card in my laptop, so I bring it out in the garage to view posts on lawnsite, and order parts online. Pretty Convienent! :blob3:

lildog132
06-10-2003, 03:28 PM
yea, you should get into the mowing buisness, its great money. I started mowing lawns when i was 12, and now i am 17 and i have 60 accounts, most of them which i mow once a week. I make about $1000 a week. yea, and im 17. Im going to buy a corvette soon.. Mowing is better than any other job i could get right now, no one bosses you around, and you can get a work out, get up at a reasonable time.

John Gamba
06-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Did What Lildog Did a Bit ago So Today In The sun I Floated In the Pool While i Had a Beer(I Love Mowing Lawns) John.

Scraper
06-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by lildog132
yea, you should get into the mowing buisness, its great money. I started mowing lawns when i was 12, and now i am 17 and i have 60 accounts, most of them which i mow once a week. I make about $1000 a week. yea, and im 17. Im going to buy a corvette soon.. Mowing is better than any other job i could get right now, no one bosses you around, and you can get a work out, get up at a reasonable time.

Yeah, and I bet you live at home. $1000/week won't get you far with a mortgage, vehicle payments, a family and the costs associated with all of them. So what are those 60 accounts? City lots? Sounds like you are undercharging them all by at least $20 each. Is that $1000 gross or net? I certainly hope it isn't gross, but then again, I'll bet it is since you probably aren't claiming a dime.

As for being bossed around...give it some more time. You'll come across them too.

lawndreamer
06-10-2003, 03:43 PM
I'm going to start very soon like tomorrow. What do I need to do as far as government goes. Do I have to make them aware of the business before I start or when I'm ready to pay them? Would anyone start without Insurance seeing (in my experience) every Insurance person acts like your an idiot. They act as if you should know the history of your business before it ever exsists. If you don't then your just some joeblow wasting their time.

Scraper
06-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by lawndreamer
Would anyone start without Insurance seeing (in my experience) every Insurance person acts like your an idiot. They act as if you should know the history of your business before it ever exsists. If you don't then your just some joeblow wasting their time.

Well, uh, would you insure someone that hadn't a clue about what they were doing? Sounds like a liability to me.

lawndreamer
06-10-2003, 05:08 PM
I bet you got all your knowledge from prophecy. Your so smart you can tell the future. Did I guess right. History has to first exsist before one can relate to it. You know your history because you have experienced it, I haven't experienced the start up of any company. Therefore I don't know what to expect. I do know how I want to operate my company I desire to start. This site has been a wonderful resource in finding out some of the unknown. Why so personnal that you would take a shot anyhow? You don't know me!

gogetter
06-10-2003, 06:13 PM
and i have 60 accounts, most of them which i mow once a week. I make about $1000 a week. yea, and im 17.

So you're getting a whopping $16 per lawn? Minus taxes, insurance, gas, etc, etc. ..........what's left?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AztlanLC
06-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Welcome to this business lawndreamer, there's is money to be made on this industry, but if you want to get far, star listening to all this people, good and bad posts have something you can learn from.

Unless you want everybody to repply like lildog132,

Port City Lawncare
06-10-2003, 06:25 PM
I Floated In the Pool While i Had a Beer(I Love Mowing Lawns)

I do as well. My routine includes daybreak speck fishing at least twice a week.

lildog132
06-10-2003, 07:21 PM
no, i make $1000 a week because i have a helper which makes 1/2 of everything. and they are all very, very small, we finish a lawn in about 5-10 min. So what are you talking about AztlanLC??????? thinking im some kind of idiot.:angry: :blob2:

Lakeview
06-10-2003, 07:24 PM
lildog132,
$16.00 BUCKS AN HOUR!?!?!? IN THE YEAR 2003!?!?!?

Man are you getting ripped off. Thats what i was making with a 21" Murray push mower back in 1985 (didnt even include weedeating) when i was seventeen years old. LEVIS were $16.00 a piece, a can of SKOAL was $0.85 and an expensive pair of NIKE high tops were $65.00

Youre seventeen years old and already bound for the poor house. I cant imagine a young man your age with all the boundless energy you posess being a business failure. Why are you charging $16.00 an hour (this constitutes a business failure)for work that should demand a minimum of no less than between $32.00 to $40.00 an hour?.

When you go to buy that corvette just remember that begins a paper trail so that the government can find out whether or not you are paying taxes. How much will auto insurance run you on a vette being you are seventeen years old. At least we will all know who you are because i dont think i can ever recall seeing a corvette pulling a sixteen foot double axle trailer loaded down with lawn equipment.

lildog132
06-10-2003, 07:45 PM
um, i dont make $16 an hour, i make at least 40. I don't know where you got $16. I mow at $25 lawn in 10 min. That means, $150 an hour ($25* 6=150).

SGLawn Care
06-10-2003, 08:01 PM
So you can mow 6 lawns in exactly 1 hour?They must all be in a row.

dcondon
06-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Do any of you make $2.50 a min. ???

BSDeality
06-10-2003, 08:59 PM
i don't think anyone makes $2.50/min on _every_ lawn. on one or two it is possible.

you might want to turn a blind eye upon some posts, you have no way of knowing how badly exaggerated the statements made are.

gogetter
06-10-2003, 11:18 PM
no, i make $1000 a week because i have a helper which makes 1/2 of everything.

Let me see if I have this straight. Your helper makes $1,000 a week?!?!
You said you make $1,000 yourself , and your helper makes half of everything. This means you take in $2000 a week, you get a thou, and your helper gets a thou?

Come on now.

And looking at your last couple posts, none of your numbers actually match up.

If you're going to make stuff up as you go along, at least try to be realistic.

2 man crew
06-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Like goetter said. The numbers don't match.

LIL"dog be needens a LIL"math YO.

mtdman
06-11-2003, 12:20 AM
none, too wet out. there are lawns that have been not cut for 10 days now, that are getting bad, and customers are calling me like crazy asking where I am. I tell them to look outside.....

Amen to that! I get one day of cutting, 2 days off! WTF?? Can't we take this rain, spread it out to cover the dry days in July/August?

bobbygedd
06-11-2003, 12:31 AM
$2.50 a minute? not me. hookers make that though

Scraper
06-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Lawndreamer...keep on dreamin...and while your at it get some insurance.

cos
06-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by lawndreamer
I'm going to start very soon like tomorrow. What do I need to do as far as government goes. Do I have to make them aware of the business before I start or when I'm ready to pay them? Would anyone start without Insurance seeing (in my experience) every Insurance person acts like your an idiot. They act as if you should know the history of your business before it ever exsists. If you don't then your just some joeblow wasting their time.

When I first started out, I went and got my insurance. Gave them a list of equipment I owned and told them the type of business. I wrote them a check and just like that I was legite. Not sure what kind of hassle you are getting, but It sounds from the previous posts that you never called.

You have to pay for the full year, unless your Business auto is incorporated into your policy. As far as uncle sam, start with the blue pages, not sure how it is listed in your state. We call it the Department of Revenue.