PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!!!

mrbenfer
06-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Yea i let me best friend mow for me yesterday because i was gone and he needed a little bit of extra money. .... .....

Well today i was checking up on the lawns that he mowed and all but 1 lawn was up to par.. This 1 lawn had scalp spots all over! The lawn is a all around hard lawn to mow anyways but it looks bad. I wouldnt pay the kid down the street $15.00 dollars to mow this yard.

What would you do in this situation... My question is directed towards the grass. I'm thinking about not charging them this week. My friend .... well..... I must teach him a lesson! I should scalp his head with my 36" TORO just so he knows how it feels. THAT POOR YARD...

chuckwk
06-10-2003, 02:50 PM
no, don't charge them for a job obviously not up to par

crazygator
06-10-2003, 02:58 PM
I will never send someone out to do a job for me. It will never be up to my standards.

Do not charge this customer, and I would even explain what happend so they can understand a little more about all of it.

Oh yeah, never send that friend again. I think you learned a huge lesson with this one! ;)

turfcare
06-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I don't think I would charge your customers for the cut either. I am very picky about letting someone else cut for me. Some of this equipment takes getting used to as far as not scalping. Some of the help I have hired thinks trimming around trees and side walks with a trimmer means scalping the yard until dust flies. This drives me crazy! Everyone has to be trained. I have not let anyone use my ZTR yet though, this is my baby!

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-10-2003, 06:00 PM
If you knew it was a difficult lawn to mow, why didnt you warn him and explain to him how it had to be done to avoid the scalping. I have many lawns that with the fixed deck walk behind, especially the 48" will scalp bad, But after youve done it a few times you learn which ways to run the machine to avoid the scalps.......... I agree that you should not charge the client, but it's not you friend s fault , it's yours for not telling him.......

BobR
06-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Obvious - NO CHARGE

If you havnt done so already get your tail over to that homeowners house, explain what has happened to his lawn and if you value this customer beg their forgivness.

Hard lesson learned, I bet you will not do that again..

BobR

Rustic Goat
06-11-2003, 02:26 AM
Why do you think you need to dis your friend, YOU are the one that hired him to do your work! Even if he asked you for a job, you are still the one that hired him. Your company/reputation is what's at stake, you made the decision. What really makes it bad, is your knowing it was a difficult lawn to do in the first place.
No matter what job, they need to be trained, a lot worse things can happen.

About scalping, too much unknown here.
Could be a matter of adjusting your blade/deck height, tire pressure, getting the customer to agree to having some fill put in to level the yard.
Is it hilly? Mow across the hill, not up & down it.
Take Responsibility!

geogunn
06-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by chuckwk
no, don't charge them for a job obviously not up to par

chuck is right again!

GEO

Scraper
06-11-2003, 11:02 AM
These threads of late remind me of an Alice Cooper song....

Remsen1
06-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Don't charge the customer.
Pay your friend the agreed pay. (it was kinda your fault)
Tell him what he did wrong or don't have him do that yard again.
Eat the expense.
Remember the experience and do things different next time.