PDA

View Full Version : How important is creating a webpage

Port City Lawncare
06-10-2003, 08:06 PM
I had 1k business cards made today and 500 flyers. How effective has a web page been for any of you?

John Gamba
06-10-2003, 08:12 PM
VERY!!!

kickin sum grass
06-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Not only do I have it for new customers to look at, but I also use it for old customers to gain info. ex. After seeding a lawn I will write down the web site for them to go to for watering instruction so they will have no excuse of not knowing how to water.

CentralMassWeb
06-11-2003, 09:52 AM
I cannot speak for the lawnscaper end of this, but I can speak from the web designer end.

No matter the business, I tell every one of my customers to put their website on every thing that goes out the door. Business Cards, Flyers, Door Hangers, even Radio advertising.

The cost of maintaining a website (after production) is relatively minimal and can be very easily recouped through 1 or 2 bookings. The thing I always tell people is, would you hand out your business card without your phone number on it? This is just another form of communication.

In fact, I have one customer, whom I refer people to for construction, and he recommends that the referral first contact him through the website via email, he feels this helps break the ice better, and they can spend as much time on the site as they wish before, and after, contacting him. After the emails, then they speak on the phone if they wish to continue talking.

It also seems to be an ease of use thing, since you don't want to stop cutting someones grass if the phone is ringing off the hook. This communication can be dealt with at the office, by the office staff (if there is one) or in the evening by yourself when you do your computer work.

Matt

Port City Lawncare
06-11-2003, 12:00 PM
thanks for info CMW. ( it took me a while to find this thread again ). What's the cost of creating the page?

edit- nevermind, i see your responce in another thread.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 02:56 AM
I made my website for mainly info purposes. I didn't really expect to gain any customers, but I wanted to have a place for updates, and terms, and service offerings, whatever, so that my current customers couldn't bit.ch about not knowing. That, and any estimates, cards, advertising I put out has the site on it. I had to fight the phone book advertiser to get them to include it in my ad. I am sure that eventually people will find me by finding my site first, but for now it's there to provide more info and to decrease the time I spend repeating myself to everyone.

I made mine from scratch, I study web development and web technologies on the side. It was good practice and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And it was damned cheap!

:D

mdvaden
08-11-2003, 02:49 AM
mtdmaster's comments about information use is where mine went more than I expected.

I had mine done to gain business, and found out that the information part was a use I never dreamed of.

We just added a picture of steps.

A few weeks ago, someone wanted some steps. I said, go to my site and see if that style works. It not only worked, but they could tell from my photo that they could do without flagstone and just use gravel.

Every time a photo gets added, it becomes that much more useful.

Team Gopher
08-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Hi Mdvaden,

That's a great insight. If people can learn from your site, they will visit it more!

GrassGator
08-16-2003, 11:29 AM
I am relatively new in the business and do mainly residential properties. Have been contemplating setting up a website, but not sure if the benefits will justify the cost. If some of you have a website, could you give me an idea of what it costs a month to maintain it and what type of info do you put on it.
Thanks,
Joe
Grass Gators, Inc.

mdvaden
08-16-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm guessing $30 a month maintenance. We probably have $900 into putting it together. That can be done for less, but I broke mine into a lot of little increments, and changed a few things back and forth.

Programs are available for under $100, but there are advantages to hiring someone that knows the field.

You could get one done for a few hundred.

For content info -

Go to www.mdvaden.com

and you can see my particular choice for pages. On my lawn care page is a link to another landscapers site too.

I don't think I would recommend doing one page. If one page is it, you will have to redesign quite a bit if you add on.

Try a home page to keep, and you can add pages for it. All that changes is the menu then. Unless you feel like changing the home page too.

DannyHatt
09-08-2003, 10:30 PM
See my thead, Click here! (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47705)