PDA

View Full Version : how early is too early?

eaglelawn
06-10-2003, 11:54 PM
hey, i was wondering how early is too early to start mowing someone's property?

cause my family is going somewhere and i need to mow two lawns tomorrow and wont have time to mow after they get back.

im talking about mowing at like, 7:00 tomorrow morning. the area is in a subdivision, so i was wondering about noise pollution, etc..

thanks a lot for any advice

BSDeality
06-11-2003, 12:18 AM
you'd have a flat tire if you mowed my neighbors lawn at that hour. 8am is the earliest I'll start, usually i push it to 9 or 9:30 since i have a light load.

Rhett
06-11-2003, 12:21 AM
I am an early riser but if I started my residentials at that hour the neighbors would throw rocks at me. Try 0800hrs

mike9497
06-11-2003, 12:31 AM
there are state laws on this.i think in my state during the week we can start at 7:30 but on weekends its 9 or 9:30 i think.i start at 8 every morning

wacamaster
06-11-2003, 12:41 AM
If it's gotta get done I'd be out there when you gotta be out there.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-11-2003, 12:52 AM
7 am here in ST. Louis.

We are on the first lawn at 8am.

Long time ago, my neighbors guy would show up to mow at 6 am on Saturday morning, I asked him nicely a few times, to come later, but he never did so I started to call the police on him every Saturday till they quit showing up.

After many many attemps to get him to change I took care of it with nail strips in the lawn.

nelbuts
06-11-2003, 01:01 AM
I start everyday at 7am on residentials. It is cooler (today it was 82) the rains come anytime after 1pm (2 inches today) so you have to get it done when you can.

Some days on commercials not in a residential area, I will start at 6am. BTW our noise ordinance is sunrise to 10pm.

reelgrass92
06-11-2003, 01:09 AM
I've mowed a couple of times at 6:30/7 but the dew is so heavy on the ground, I end up leaving lines, so I usually start around 8 +/-.:D

Not aware of state laws and regulations.

WPLE
06-11-2003, 01:17 AM
If someone in my subdivision cut at seven in the morning aroung here they would have a flat on there trailer when they went to load back up.

I try to start residentials around 9:00 but will start at 8:00 if I have to. No sooner.

lawncare3
06-11-2003, 01:21 AM
I've done them @ 7:30

crazygator
06-11-2003, 02:19 AM
8am on weekdays, 9-9:30am weekends!

fblandscape
06-11-2003, 04:52 AM
In my eyes there are only 2 places where it is acceptable to mow before 8:00 on a weekday, even later on weekends. Those places are commercial lots which are in commercialy zoned areas (nobody living nearby) and large residential accounts which are weekend homes and nobody is around that day. I would not cut a regular residential lawn before 8:00, get the cops called, or at bare minimum have some very irritated neighbors. As far as large residentials, if the homeowners are there for the weekend, it's better to have it done by the time they get there, or very shortly after they arrive. This is of course not to say that I haven't mowed a residential lawn before 8:00 on a weekday, or later on Saturdays. However in those instances I was not working for myself :)

fatboy5803
06-11-2003, 08:08 AM
It's real humid here in Fla. I usually get started by 9:00, as any earlier is almost like mowing right after a rain, Too wet for me to mow as not as good of a cut...

Lou :cool:

Runner
06-11-2003, 09:53 AM
0800 for residential, and whatever time for isolated commercial zones. We have a place in a heavy retail section (shopping mall) that I've been out there at 3 and 4 a.m. doing things (when we had the real bad heat). The place was lit up like a football stadium, so it was nice.

Scraper
06-11-2003, 11:10 AM
I've gone as early as 7 in mid-summer when I know the heat and humidity is going to be over 90 and I'm gonna want to clock out early, but not this time of year when the dew is so thick it is like it rained. Wait a minute...it is rain...when is it ever gonna stop?

teeca
06-11-2003, 03:02 PM
do them them the day/night before? sounds easy enough.

i mow any time between 7:30am and 8:30pm (weather permiting) almost always after 8am on res side of the business.

yardman1
06-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER

After many many attemps to get him to change I took care of it with nail strips in the lawn.

Now mike that is not very nice.:D

jason r.
06-11-2003, 09:03 PM
I start at 8:30 am any earlier I'd start hearing the complaint calls.

Zattpazz
06-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Nothing before 8:00 am for me.
Zattpazz

Zattpazz
06-11-2003, 10:27 PM
LAWNGODFATHER.
Good going!
Zattpazz

brucec32
06-13-2003, 09:04 PM
6am, 7am on residentials.......I'd advise buying stock in a broom company. You're eventually going to need one after your community passes a blower ban.

Way to help the image of our business, guys. Maybe soon we'll pass "used car salesman" and "criminal defense attorney" on the "most despised" list.

the scaper
06-14-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
7 am here in ST. Louis.

We are on the first lawn at 8am.

Long time ago, my neighbors guy would show up to mow at 6 am on Saturday morning, I asked him nicely a few times, to come later, but he never did so I started to call the police on him every Saturday till they quit showing up.

After many many attemps to get him to change I took care of it with nail strips in the lawn. great post, that sounds like a good way to get an innocent child or bystander killed.

tiedeman
06-14-2003, 01:54 AM
we start at 8:30 am and try to finish up by 8:30 or 9pm during the summer months.

Envy Lawn Service
06-14-2003, 02:59 AM
I guess I'm lucky in many ways. Not many of my residentials have neighbors close enough to be bothered by me. For those that do live "close in" I have made a point to become friendly with my clients neighbors very early on. This way, I learn the boundaries of what are the acceptable hours to do the work so I don't disturb anyone.

Between commercials and early risers, I have somewhere to be at 0600 every morning. But that's not to say that I don't fudge when I can and catch some extra Z's in the mornings.
:sleeping:
This past Thursday I was behind on work. But I didn't have anywhere I could mow early because basically the schedule was blown out the window. So I started at 0600 on a shrub trimming job that I needed to get done. I started on the side of the house that was away from the bedrooms. I used the ol' muscle powered hedge clippers so all was nice and quiet. When they got up, they had no idea I was even on the place until the dog needed to be walked. By then, the shrubs were trimmed and I was loading up the debris.

It worked out well for them, their neighbors and me. Even though it took longer and was more work physically, I got something accomplished during that dead time. Plus the clients got to admire my hard work before heading off to their work.

But what I liked about that best was that they got a good reminder of why they pay through the nose for my services.

payup :laugh:

Rather Be Fishing
06-14-2003, 05:53 AM
I try to avoid being in my first lawn before 9:00 am for the same reasons others have stated. Considering I don't mind working until dark when nec., there's plenty of daylight to get my workload done.

Another consideration is that not all lawns are created equal. I have some that I never touch before the afternoon.

8:00 am is the norm around here, but personally I prefer not to scrape wet grass from my decks every morning.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-16-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by the scaper
great post, that sounds like a good way to get an innocent child or bystander killed. What the he!! are you yapping about now?

You assume to much, do children even live at my neighbors house, do they even go out in their lawn? Were they 6" nails?

How would someone get killed, I haven't figured that ouy yet.

At the time it was my friends, 15 years ago and I put nail strips in the "back" lawn, and they knew they were there, so you have assumed to much.

I also had them call and it didn't change the 6am mowing time.