PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the dixie's gone?

rwleigh
06-11-2003, 12:20 AM
I have been using dixie chopper for several years and they have been the totally dominate machine in my area for years. Dixie has cancelled there dealer here who made them number 1. and now all the sudden I am seeing scag grasshopper and country clippers poping up everywhere. I still see the older dixies running around but no new ones. Has dixie gone crazy or do they just not care to be in the lead anymore? I bought a bladerunner a couple of weeks ago because there now is not a good qualified dealer to work on my choppers. The original dealer still works on them but is limited now on his parts. I do not know if this is happening everywhere or it is just here but it looks to me that someone at dixie is missing something upstairs!

accuratelawn
06-11-2003, 12:38 AM
Well
Dixies have more competion now. There are alot of others/better machines on the market. Attractive financing offers also cut into their sales. Scag and Kabota 0% ect.
Alex never did me wrong, but the guys I know where not happy with the service.
BTW, I don't use Dixies.

rwleigh
06-11-2003, 12:52 AM
Well I do not know who the guys your talking about are but I can say he is the ONLY ONE that stopped and fixed me on the trailer! But I also pay my bills with him, which is probably why the guys that you know had service issues.

Runner
06-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by rwleigh
I still see the older dixies running around but no new ones. Has dixie gone crazy or do they just not care to be in the lead anymore?

When were they ever "in the lead"? Around here, for instance, you never even see them. There is one guy in this whole town, that has one, and it's a beat up old looking thing.

Lawn DOG
06-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Around here a few are still used by the old timers. I quess you can't teach old dogs new tricks. I owned one and was very disappointed with my customer support and the overall performance of this machine. The next time I spend 10 grand it will be with a mower that has improved with the times.

I think what you are seeing is a company that has not stayed up with the competition.

Much like the model "T" Ford. It was very popular but because they refused to change, it was forced out by the public.

rwleigh
06-11-2003, 12:15 PM
The customer support is why dixie was number 1 here, you never saw until this year any scag or grasshopper and certainly no country clipper mowers. You would see a few and I mean a few exmarks hustlers and bladerunners and still do and they are newer machines. The dealer they cancelled was selling probably on average of 50 dixie's a year. So I do not understand what they are thinking but I guess they have there reasons. I am very happy with my new bladerunner mower, and it is a much better machine in my limited experience with it so far. As far a dixie not staying up with the times I am not sure what you mean by that, I like the fact that they do not use alot of gadgets, but that is just me and I realize that alot of people do. I was mainly currious if they were doing this everywhere changing out there established dealers for newer dealers or if it was a local thing. As it is right now I will in time be trading off my other dixie's and I will not go back with a dixie!

teeca
06-11-2003, 02:28 PM
i have two dixies and am very happy with there performance. if i could change something on them it would be the wiring (cosmedics), it looks like a high school shop class threw it togather (no offence). i do like the simple design, and no wistles. i also have a exmark w/b, nice mechine also, and better wiring.

as far as dixie loosing the market, i think by not offering a w/b is really hurting them! i would much rather deal with the same dealer, than two different dealers. if i need to expand and buy more w/b, i just might need to get an exmark rider. just my thoughts..

accuratelawn
06-11-2003, 11:19 PM
rwleigh,
I don't know you, but the three guys I know that run dixies, do pay their bills. In fact one gentleman had to ask sever times to be bill for parts etc.
What is your relation to Alex or Bill or are you Alex's wife?
The shop is a custerf..k. The bigest mower graveyard in town is right a the front door. How professional is that?!
Like I said, Alex never did me wrong, but the shop and grounds are always a mess, slow to get parts in , slow to repair mowers. Poor organization and service will doom a business.
Dixie Chopper is still stuck in the 80's. Ugly fit and finished and poor performance on hills.
Just my two cents

deere ZTR
06-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Around here we only have one guy close buy with a dixie and they run the thing at full speed and just push the grass over and it still needs mowed that could be part of it. Even when he does slow down the cut it puts down is far from great. Deere and Snapper are dominant here.

teeca
06-12-2003, 10:23 AM
deere ztr,

first of all, with every mower you need to maintain it, change the blades, etc.. to say that a dixie just pushes grass is not true. i have two and they cut very well. my accounts look better then most, keeping in mind that grass has alot to do with it.. on a second thought, john deere doesn't even make any of there own mowers. they have bought out some of the manufactures around the country and painted them john deere green, its a fact.. i guess john deere goes with the old and rich lodgic, if you cant build a better mouse trap, buy the guys out that can, and thats what they have done. dixie still makes theres, and they used to make toro ztrs, before they got started. the founder of dixie had alot of good ideas that other mower companines did not think was worth the while.. dixion is not in the comercial market for that reason.

Lawn Tek
06-12-2003, 10:53 AM
As far as the dealer being dropped , do you know the whole story ? Have you heard Dixies side of the story or only the dealers ? Dealers are dropped by manufactures for some good reasons . One they won't pay their bills , money trouble , two sloppy work , poor representation of the manufactures product . Another is customer complaints etc . Any of the top 5 mower companies know without dealers they are out of business , so I would tend to think that Dixie had good reason to part company , and another dealer will probably jump in and fill the gap .

johnhenry
06-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Some vaild points were spoken here.But the shop in springfield was a mess.But dixie pulled it for a reason you can count that.Plus I hardly doubt that dixie will leave the springfield market.The part that dixie hasnt change that is hogwash.They have issue's about there product but show me a mower that doesn't have a issue.Every ztr company has a flaw somewhere.I would never sell my ztr beacause my dealer closed up.The days of dealer support are over guys.You have to learn to fix them yourself because dealers are closing up left and right.Why do you think here in sw mo that grasshoppers and kubota are thriving here in this area.Not because of quality of product.Dealer makes more money selling them.Its all about money not quality of product.By the way chopper is not going anywhere they are the # 2 selling ztr in the country behind exmark. and these two companies have been 1 & 2 for years .Wow neither one is big in sw mo. Its all about how much money the dealer can make

AZT
06-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Exmark and Dixie Chopper are not #1 and #2 in anything . I would be interested in seeing some numbers to support that statement. There are some manufactures that do not report there numbers. Were you talking about units sold Johnhenry?

deere ZTR
06-13-2003, 12:13 PM
I didn't mean to say that dixie isn't capable of putting down a nice cut like you said its up keep and with that even a wal-mart yard man can put down a good cut. I just mean that dixie is so hot on advertising that stupid fastest mower in the world **** and so they attract all the cowboys that think you can mow that fast and that gives them a bad rap when people see them doing a crappy job

teeca
06-13-2003, 03:33 PM
deere ztr, i agree totaly with you on that! i have a flatlander 60", and i am not sold on the 13mph yet. it might get close, but the way the grass is in the spring, with all the weeds and stuff, it simply wont cut at 13mph, i would say to get a true good cut i'm at about 8-9mph, sometimes slower (in the spring).

johnhenry
06-14-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by AZT
Exmark and Dixie Chopper are not #1 and #2 in anything . I would be interested in seeing some numbers to support that statement. There are some manufactures that do not report there numbers. Were you talking about units sold Johnhenry?

Yes units sold. the figures are started at the gei or the expo show.Where have you been AZT that you didnt know this.Or are you listening to the local dealers here.Go to the expo in kentucky or the gei show in st.louis.Yes all companies do report there ztr sales and have been for many years.Exmark is #1 seeling ztr in the country for at least the last 4 years.Who did you think was #1 anyway let me guess grasshopper or kubota

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Interesting stats JH.

I would have guessed possibly Ferris being second after eXmark.

I was the first in my area to own a DC..

AZT
06-17-2003, 04:49 AM
johnhenry I still don't see any numbers all I see is BS . There are a couple of companies that don't
report there numbers. Some of the ones that report don't break there numbers down so you can tell what they are selling. Walk behinds or ride on or anything else. Exmark does not even make has many ztr's as Dixon.

WREBELMACHINE
07-03-2003, 08:53 PM
WHOA! WAIT A MINUTE.

Roy asks the question why dixie is not as popular this year? Answer is because they dropped the ONLY good dealer here! There is no other dealership in this area that will fix your unit on the trailer or give you a loaner machine if it cannot be fixed on the trailer. Jeff you said that you were always treated right I have always been service right with the Bill's. I bet the guys you are talking about are not sharing everything 100% whith you. To have someone say that he had to ask several times for a bill, Boy I wished I had that problem! As far as apperance who gives a Rats butt what it looks like if you get your machine fixed while you waite. I sure have not got that anywhere else in this town which includes the million dollar show room guys! Look at what happend to Encore in just one year they went from the most popular walk-behind in the area to now you do not see them. You would think Dixie would have caught the hint at how much influence Bill's has on the commercial market around here. Oh and buy the way alex is an employee of bill's not the owner. Yes it is true Dixie has more competition but they have had whith the exception of country clipper scag and grasshopper dealers here for several years and you never did see any till this year.

John Henry I do not know if you knew this or not but I use to talk to several guys from joplin who came to bill's for service rather than trying to deal with the dealer there. There is or atleast I have had NO service issue with bill's and since dixie has decided to go with the million dollar show room it has backfired on them just like it did with Encore.

As many of you now I still use dixie's and until I get them replaced I will need parts, so I called dixie and talked to shelia and asked her what the deal was? She told me that they never had any problems with bill's and she had had several calls requarding Bill's dealership. She told me that the decision to pull dixie was not the factories but the sales rep's.

So I called the sales rep. Here is what he said very rudely. It is because of that "Damn BLADERUNNER" is why they have been cancelled. He then rambled on about how they are supposedly the ones building it. I think the guy just has issues and is affraid of true competition.

If you talk to Bill's they just kind of smile and they will tell you it is not only just bladerunner but it is also because of country clipper outselling the dc silver eagle.

You guys can beleve whoever you want to but it was not a service issue or a lack of dixie sales. However there is definetly a lack of new dixie's running around this year.