PDA

View Full Version : T-Bar or H-bar?

gulfstreme
06-11-2003, 12:33 AM
I'd like to hear opinions from anybody that has used both the Toro T-bar control system and the Hustler H-bar control system. Which one did you like better? I'm planning on getting a 36", 37" hydro wb in the next week or so. I've demoed the exmark and the hustler and expect to hear hear from the toro rep tomorrow. I like the cut on the exmark but the ECS aka "backwards pistol grip" (thats what I call it) system took too much effort in comparison.

mrbenfer
06-11-2003, 12:47 AM
I bought a TORO 36'' W/B with the "T" bar....

I bought a 36" Toro w/b "T BAR" the other day... It was my first commercial mower.. The onlything i dont like about it is that it dosen't stripe as well as i would like it too. I would have to buy a stripeing kit to get good clean stripes. As to the "T BAR" control system, awesome. I've never used exmarks pistol grip system but i would have to say that the "T BAR" takes less work to controll and easier to learn.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-11-2003, 12:49 AM
T-Bar's are better on the belts than hydros-too jumpy & tend to divot easily on zero turns.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-11-2003, 12:55 AM
T bar hydros are horrible to use especially on hills.

Check out the Hustler see if it does good.

gulfstreme
06-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
T-Bar's are better on the belts than hydros-too jumpy & tend to divot easily on zero turns.

Thats interesting.. because the h-bar system was smooth as silk and never scuffed any turf whatsoever.. and this was the first time I laid hands on one.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by gulfstreme
Thats interesting.. because the h-bar system was smooth as silk and never scuffed any turf whatsoever.. and this was the first time I laid hands on one. T bar and H bar are two different animals.

T bar = Toro

H bar = Hustler

I have to agree with Ultimate "Scrub" Dillrod on the Toro t bar hydros are not so great mowers.

gulfstreme
06-11-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
T bar hydros are horrible to use especially on hills.

Are you saying T-bar's are horrible on hills compared to the H-bar? Or horrible compared to a belt drive? I'm mainly interested in comparing t-bar vs h-bar, rather than hydro vs belt.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-11-2003, 01:43 AM
T bar toro hydros' horrible all to gether, belt drive just on hills.

H bar hustler cannot comment on.

Scag48
06-11-2003, 02:46 AM
I have to agree, the Toro T-Bar on hydro is too dang jumpy. I couldn't make a decent 180 degree turn at all with the hydro, therefore making it pointless to invest the extra in hydro when it's very difficult to learn how to make the mower the most productive it could possibly be, by making Z-turns. I can't comment on the H-Bar, though. I do like ECS. I'll admit, it does take some getting used to.

Doc Pete
06-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by gulfstreme
I'd like to hear opinions from anybody that has used both the Toro T-bar control system and the Hustler H-bar control system. Which one did you like better? I'm planning on getting a 36", 37" hydro wb in the next week or so. I've demoed the exmark and the hustler and expect to hear hear from the toro rep tomorrow. I like the cut on the exmark but the ECS aka "backwards pistol grip" (thats what I call it) system took too much effort in comparison.

For what it's worth just go try the H bar for a full day. Since it's different you can't get used to it in 5 minutes. Put it this way, if you can't see the advantages of the H bar over ECS or whatever, then frankly you should just buy the ECS. Sorry, to be a bit blunt, but there's just no comparison between the two. Just try to mow or walk backwards with ECS, and then the H bar.
Pete

gulfstreme
06-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
For what it's worth just go try the H bar for a full day. Since it's different you can't get used to it in 5 minutes. Put it this way, if you can't see the advantages of the H bar over ECS or whatever, then frankly you should just buy the ECS. Sorry, to be a bit blunt, but there's just no comparison between the two. Just try to mow or walk backwards with ECS, and then the H bar.
Pete

Like I said, I'm sold on the T-bar and H-bar systems compared to a pistol/ecs control system. What I am debating on is t-bar vs h-bar.

I used a brand spankin' new Hustler yesterday and the day before.. I put about 5 hours on it. The Hustler Turf Equipment rep and the local dealer were extremely helpful and informative.. I'm still waiting on Toro :rolleyes:

BRIAN GALLO
06-11-2003, 01:58 PM
I have t-bar toro's, both hydro & belt. Hydro is jumpy, but takes an extremely light touch to operate. Once you get on to that you can control it anywhere and be very productive. Belt t-bars are nice in their own rite. You can "man handle" those a bit and there is no jumpiness. hands rest in a comfortable position all day and my fingers never hurt. I never tried an H-bar, but it looks very good as well. I used to ride a lot of motorcycles, and feel that I would be right at home on the h-bar too.

gulfstreme
06-12-2003, 11:23 PM
bump

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 12:13 AM
You are not going to get much input but Switchless on this as there are very few Hustler WB users on the board.

Doc Pete
06-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by BRIAN GALLO
I never tried an H-bar, but it looks very good as well. I used to ride a lot of motorcycles, and feel that I would be right at home on the h-bar too.

Brian,
Like steering a motorcycle is pretty close to using the H bar, in fact it's about the same amount of fun with a velky. Then, picture after turning the motorcycle or h bar, if you relax the amount you turn the bars, the H bar will return to the neutral position and your mower (motorcycle) will track straight as an arrow.
Pete

Doc Pete
06-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
You are not going to get much input but Switchless on this as there are very few Hustler WB users on the board.

Mike,
I must admit you're correct again. And, as I posted earlier Im beginning to understand why. Furthermore, it seems most dealers do not know how to setup the WBs, and worse, Ive now tested 4 other WBs and 2 of them came through with sticky steering, which is disastrous for the h bar. Frankly, I feel like I have egg all over my face, touting the performance of the H bar WB, since in the right hands the H bar WB it will out perform any other WB made, but setup wrong, it is just another WB. And, judging from all you guys passing on buying an H bar WB, it seems most H bars aint setup or prepped correctly.
Well sure looks as though the machine Ive been using is nothing like what most of you have been trying. And, as in the case of Hustlers Zs which are selling like hot cakes, if their WBs were that good (mine is), theyd be selling like hot cakes too, regardless of the quality of their dealer network.
Pete

Rick Jones
06-13-2003, 12:41 AM
I have a Toro Hydro T-Bar "Classic" w/b, new this season. I like it a lot and don't have any problems with it tearing turf or being too jumpy. I have also used a mid-90's version of the same machine and that was a little more touchy, but it was easy to operate and control it accurately with little practice.

bayfish
06-13-2003, 01:07 AM
I have 2 T Bar Toro hydros, 1 44" 15hp and 1 52" 20 hp. I had problems until I learned how to adjust them. Now I really like them. Never tried the H bar, but did buy a new Hustler Z today. It listed for $9046, got it for $7236 with the factory rebate.

captken
06-13-2003, 06:50 AM
The H bar system on the Hustler walkbehind is heads above anything else period.
My controls are not "sticky"
They are in fact, an ergonomically correct, precision engineered, genius of design.
Just learn to use it with out the sulky first. I would say that because the controls are razor sharp, response is instant, but with the right amount of feel. It responds quickly and precisely to hand movements.
The power to weight ratio is awesome.
Basically its "twist-n-go" arrangement that with practice will have you maneuvering around obstacles at a high rate of speed.
Kind of like a downhill skier. I prefer to use the walkbehind over my Hustler Z because, for me, its fun to use.
I back the mower up, using reverse with the sulky attached. This takes practice to do safely.
Anything else would be a step down.
They are NOT pricey, 4500 for the 37" but then my opinion is: you get what you pay for.
Switchless, do you own a Hustler? The comments about sticky controls and the setup have no bearing at all in regards to my machine.

Doc Pete
06-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by captken
Switchless, do you own a Hustler? The comments about sticky controls and the setup have no bearing at all in regards to my machine.

Please forgive me, I'm still laughing. So, my guess is you don't read many posts, do you?? Ask "ANY" guy on this forum about me........ I AM MR. HUSTLER!! Next time do your homework if you don't want to sound stupid. And, if you "really" want make your WB twice the machine it is now, just email me, and I'll enlighten you.....
Thanks,
Pete

MOW ED
06-13-2003, 08:14 AM
I have a Toro T-bar and yes the hydros can be jumpy but they can be adjusted. Most people just get the mower and don't set it up. The hydros can be adjusted for the deck that you put on it. A 36 is obviously lighter than a 44 or 52. I actually added some weight (35#) even though I adjusted the hydros. I also filled the caster tires with foam (solid heavy foam) and that adds about 15 more lbs.
The mower has been good to me but it is no match for a Z or even the Walker. If you want to stripe, put a pro-slide on it.
My mower is a 1998 15hp hydro w/44 cut. The t-bar is easy to use but as was stated, it takes a certain touch to get it right. Thats the same regardless of the piece of equipment.

I am impressed by the Hustler MFG co and think they make good products. If I were in the market for a wb I would certainly demo a Hustler.

captken
06-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Hello Pete! I have read your post. Forgive me. I just wanted to get your attention, your highness.
But seriouly, sticky controls? The machines here in Memphis are shipped in crates....I naturally assumed that the controls are factory assembled to the unit before it lefts the manufacturer. I am not aware of dealer assembly, however the dealer should check everything out before it goes on the floor.
How do you mean "sticky"?
I have a friend who used to work as a mechanic for the Hustler dealer in Memphis now works for the city of Collierville, does work for the grounds dept. maint&reair, tells me the controls are generally trouble free, but that in the beginning there were some problems....This is not the case with my machine, silky smooth, or the others that I have checked out.
I buy the best gear I can afford, I never have skimped, and to me Hustler makes the best.

:)

edward hedrick
06-13-2003, 11:18 PM
I have a 52 Toro T bar and a 52 Lesco w T bar, my conversion,

see Turf April page 21, demoed a Shortcut w H bar. Would like a

Super Z w an H bar. Still better than pistol grips. Ed

yourlawnguy
06-13-2003, 11:32 PM
I've been using the H bar now for two days and it is totally effortless to drive. The controls are very responsive and precise.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-14-2003, 12:03 AM
MOWEd is correct, most hydro T-Bar's that are excessively jumpy just need a minor valve adjustment to correct the problem.

The T-Bar somewhat lacks independent wheel control which makes it better on the belts.