PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS 85 *Pinging*

reelgrass92
06-10-2003, 11:58 PM
I bought a FS 85 last year. Ever since I had it there has been a pinging. Not sure if it is the centrifical clutch or what, but in the manual it says to use 89 octane gas to get the pinging to stop.
I have had no trouble out of this trimmer. Using 89 octane gas would be a little more trouble. Any Suggestions:confused:

Bluesteel
06-11-2003, 12:11 AM
samey same.

I don't think it's preignition (ping) in the engine. Sounds like the clutch to me. I have a performance enhanced 454 Chevy, so I only buy 93 octane and have always heard the Trimmer pinging at idle.

WPLE
06-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Use the 89. it helped my trimmers

mtdman
06-11-2003, 12:17 AM
I had an FS 85 that pinged from day one. Took it back to the dealer, bitched about it, but it worked fine. Dealer said to use the 89, but it never went away. Worked fine for 3 years before it finally gave out on me. Bought a new one, have never heard a ping from it. Crazy.

:D

WPLE
06-11-2003, 12:21 AM
I bought a 85 two months ago and it pinged until I read to use the 89. I got a FS80 last week to the help and it hasn't pinged yet (when i used it) but i have ran 89 in it from day one.

Navig8r
06-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Ditto on what BlueSteel said...... Mine "pings" at idle, but runs strong as anything..... no problems with ignition or otherwise... no misfires, etc........
There was a thread quite a while back that explained this noise on the stihls....... something having to do with the shoes in the clutch...... almost a bell like sound....... "ding, ding ding......."

captken
06-12-2003, 01:04 AM
My fc 85 pro stihl edger makes a metallic rasping ding, ding, ding sound at idle.
once off idle, the sound disappears.
I've noticed the same sound from my friends stihl edger, the same model, plus the Stihl string trimmer he has with the same engine.
My Stihl hedge trimmers do not make that noise, nor does my br-400 or the 026 pro saw.
My string trimmers are all Shindawi and they don't make that sound either.....
I run 93 octane in all my equipment....it's probably normal for that particular engine.
Like the previous post, most manuals specify 89 or higher on octane...So I spend a little more for premium. My Hustlers both like it, I think it makes all my gear run a little smoother.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Navig8r
Ditto on what BlueSteel said...... Mine "pings" at idle, but runs strong as anything..... no problems with ignition or otherwise... no misfires, etc........
There was a thread quite a while back that explained this noise on the stihls....... something having to do with the shoes in the clutch...... almost a bell like sound....... "ding, ding ding......."

Yeah, that's exactly the noise mine made. Never affected any work, just sounded like a bell when I was using it.

:D

stevo22
06-12-2003, 05:30 AM
ditto on th bell sound at idle...once the idle is up it is gone...awesome trimmer...fs80..

crawdad
06-12-2003, 06:47 AM
Turn up the volume on the Worktunes, the "ding-ding-ding" goes away.
Crawdad

65hoss
06-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Sounds to me like you guys are hearing the metal clutches. Stihl has metal clutches and at idle you can hear them. Its normal.

65hoss
06-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by captken
My fc 85 pro stihl edger makes a metallic rasping ding, ding, ding sound at idle.
once off idle, the sound disappears.
I've noticed the same sound from my friends stihl edger, the same model, plus the Stihl string trimmer he has with the same engine.
My Stihl hedge trimmers do not make that noise, nor does my br-400 or the 026 pro saw.
My string trimmers are all Shindawi and they don't make that sound either.....

Yep, yours is the metal clutches. :)