PDA

View Full Version : Am I on track

Edgewater
06-11-2003, 01:19 AM
I have to sod over part of a garden for a client. It is VERY Full with all types of plants (read days of digging them out individually) there are no plants left that are worth saving. My plan was:

1) Round up and wait approx 1 week.
2) Till
3) Add topsoil to level
4) Sod
5) GET PAID:D

Is this a good approach, or is there a better route?

Thanks, Adam

JimLewis
06-11-2003, 03:10 AM
Sounds like a pretty good plan. I think you're supposed to wait 2 weeks after applying Roundup for the residual residue to wear off but don't quote me.

Anyway, the only thing I might add is maybe add some nice sandy loam or blended soil before the rototilling. And THEN add in top soil (or sandy loam or blended soil with sandy loam) AGAIN on top to make for easy grading. This would be the best way to do it. But your way is totally sufficient.

Edgewater
06-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Thank you:)

Mike Bradbury
06-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by jimlewis
Sounds like a pretty good plan. I think you're supposed to wait 2 weeks after applying Roundup for the residual residue to wear off but don't quote me.

Anyway, the only thing I might add is maybe add some nice sandy loam or blended soil before the rototilling. And THEN add in top soil (or sandy loam or blended soil with sandy loam) AGAIN on top to make for easy grading. This would be the best way to do it. But your way is totally sufficient.

The latest I've read was to avoid creating stratifying layers of different soils. Even poor soil is better than adding an inch of good soil on TOP. They will flow water differently and the roots may or may not move readily through to the next layer. said very explictly that if you add material, it needs to be blended (tilled) into the entire top 4" (root zone) of the soil (this if for turf)

JimLewis
06-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Yah, that is basically what I was suggesting too - just not as specifically. The addition of a blended soil amendment rototilled into the existing soil will make it all pretty good soil. And the pure blended on top is just a half inch or so to make the final grading smoother and easier. I don't think that hurts.