PDA

View Full Version : Fired for $10

LA LAWNS
06-11-2003, 11:48 AM
2 weeks ago i pulled up at a regular job and the old man asked me not to cut cause it wasnt in bad shape, didnt grow much. 1 week later he asked me to cut. I told him I will cut next week, on the regular schedule day. He is fine with that. So, when I get there its been a month since the last cut. Now, this lawn doesnt grow thick or fast, and it was not TOO messy. However, when he walked out with the check I said I wanted to charge $10 more( not much wouldnt you say). He was not happy but cut me the $10 check anyway. By the time I got home for lunch, he left a message saying I am fired. I have mowed this lawn for over a year, and put up with his "come back next week" crud for too long. Although it ticked me off, I was actually relieved to see him go. Just goes to show you, even if you think you have made " friends " with some customers, it usually comes down to $$price. I hope he calls in the future...
LA LAWNS::blob2: :angry: :blob2:

lawncare3
06-11-2003, 12:07 PM
I have learned that the hard way. :mad:

NEVER make "friends" with the customers. Their ONLY doing it for the PRICE. :angry:

JimLewis
06-11-2003, 01:22 PM
I don't know that it's universaly true that it ALWAYS comes down to price. I am on good "friends" terms with several of our clients and I think that's a big asset. But then again I specifically target those who are NOT as concerned with price as they are quality, professionalism, etc. These are upper scale homes and these people EXPECT a professional service, and want a nice friendly english speaking person to deal with. And they are willing to pay more for it. I've got dozens and dozens of clients who wouldn't leave me ever for something as piddly as a one time $10 price increase.

It just all has to do with your clientele. Forget this bozo and focus on those who totally understand stuff like this. Also, try not to take on those "could you skip my place this week?" people. Those guys will nickel and dime you to death and you'll fill up your days with clients who will cancel at the last minute when you COULD be filling your days with people who actually "get it" and actually EXPECT you to come every week.

teeca
06-11-2003, 01:36 PM
dito's jim! could not have said it better myself.

bobbygedd
06-11-2003, 02:07 PM
the last person who used that term"fired" with me got a phone call back with the following explenation: you cannot fire me, i am not your employee, YOU are my customer! i was gonna cancel you anyway, thanks for saving me the stamp and envelope, click!

lawnworker
06-11-2003, 03:43 PM
It happens sometimes. Some people are not woth the trouble.

what Jim Lewis said makes since.:)

LA LAWNS
06-11-2003, 04:29 PM
this guy didnt actually say i was fired. I think he said "its over now" or something to that effect. my wife got the message. he was definately NOT concerned with quality, only price. i am glad he cancelled, i kept telling myself to drop him. Its hard to drop one when you cut next door also. She will probably drop also because she seems to follow suit with what the old man does with his lawn: cut hers only when i cut his...bullcrud. If she drops too, heck with 'em. Live and Learn...
LA LAWNS
:mad:

Jimmy348
06-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Just went through the same thing with an elderly female
200 x 100 lot. Same thing: cut lower, come back in two weeks and yada yada. Well she "fired" me on the answering machine. Three weeks later the lawn is cut down to like 2", scalp marks all over and heaps of dead grass in long lines. But I realized that she does really care about quality (just wants it beaten down) and there will always be someone willing to do that. I'm with you on this one, take pride in your work. You didn't need that aggravation.

Rhett
06-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Think I would of let him know about the charge before doing the work. :eek:

fatboy5803
06-11-2003, 05:58 PM
I have a couple of elderly customers that's on a fixed income and I tell them to call me when they want their lawn done, normally it's about every 3 weeks, occasionally it's 2 weeks, when we get some rain. Very nice people and I don't mind what so ever. Then I had a Indian (India) that I mowed once, had to double cut just about the whole lawn, He said see you next month, then I said for the price I was charging it would be every 2 weeks, that was the end of that account. What I'm trying to say is I guess it all depends on who it is, and how their trying to screw you.. Hope this makes since ...

Lou :cool:

Port City Lawncare
06-11-2003, 06:04 PM
I had this same problem last week. LALawns, I think I might know who you are. Mobile perhaps? Anyway, this old lady wanted her grass cut at an angle, and it would look good if she had the amount of grass to do just that. So after she got us to completely clean-up her yard for free, she decided she wanted her son to start doing it for her. Now I rode by today to check and see what it looks like and low and behold there are no stripes. Some people are just unhappy in general, and most are the ones who have all the money in the world.

Clay
06-11-2003, 09:02 PM
"Relationships" are the glue that holds a business together...

There will always be mistakes or misunderstandings, but if there is a good relationship it will be ok... If there is a bad or no relationship it probably won't....

Clay

Zattpazz
06-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Having your customers on a monthly contract would avoid some of those problems.
Zattpazz