PDA

View Full Version : full time jobs?

ffemt1271
06-11-2003, 02:14 PM
just was wandering how many people here on lawnsite are full time Firefighters, Police officers, or E.M.T.'s?

Harley58
06-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Lieutenant/Seattle Fire/911 Dispatch

Be leaving here shortly heading to Florida to mow full time.

Advanced Lawncare
06-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Paramedic - 24/48 rotation with "kelly days"

Tx Firefighter
06-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Paid FF/ Paramedic D/FW area. 24-48 schedule for me.

jsr2741
06-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Almost finished my 11th year as a Police Officer. Rotate days and afternoons every 28 days. No midnights for the past 3 years... Thank God.

STAN1366
06-12-2003, 02:09 AM
Almost 22 yrs. Lieutenant FDNY. 25 yrs. mowing part time.

Firefighter Dave
06-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Fulltime Firefighter / Paramedic - just got rid of the business. I get more than enough hours with the department and wanted to spend more time with my wife and myself. Lawn care takes a lot of time that I just didn't have. Now if I was single I would have stayed in it, great money!!!

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

FiremanMike
06-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Firefighter for Grand Rapids (Local 366) for 3 years. Thank God we just hired 21 rookies. I was tired of being a bottom feeder :). Now there's someone else to clean the toilets!!

turfcare
06-12-2003, 10:43 AM
I was in law enforcement for over twelve years. Dispatcher, Deputy Sheriff, Sergent over the warrants division, and Criminal Investigator. I am now the Youth Services Officer for my County. I do lawn care and landscaping part time.

Piedmont Lawn
06-12-2003, 11:14 PM
Full time, 22 1/2 years NC Highway Patrol Telecommunications Shift Supervisor.

If I did'nt do lawn care I would be postal.

Piedmont Lawn
06-12-2003, 11:19 PM

It's my way to relax, put me on a Z and I will go all day long.......:)

Later
Klez

Heron Cove PM
06-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Career Fire Fighter 24/48 rotation with "kelly days" as well.
:blob2:

AVRECON
06-12-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Klez-Cuts

If I did'nt do lawn care I would be postal.
Hate to jump off topic here ffemt1271, but I have a question for Klez-cuts.
What was the deal with the tractor trailer that hit the 32 yr. old trooper? Sleep, drunk?
I sure hated to read that the trooper had a child that was 3 yrs. old.
For the others here wondering what I'm talking about.
Alittle over a week ago a transfer truck hit a state troopers cruiser after he had pulled someone over. Killed the trooper and injured the person that he had pulled.

Piedmont Lawn
06-12-2003, 11:52 PM
AVRECON,

Yes that was a bad situation, the Trooper had a motorist stopped for some reason on the emergency strip and the tractor trailer ran into his car. His car caught on fire and he was pinned in, that was the second trooper killed in just about the same place in the last 2 years. I know a little more but it's not my place to talk about it. It's just one of those things. Yes the truck driver has been charge.

My job use to be fun and exciting when I first started but that has long worn off. I look foward to my time off and working on lawns away from those type things. :)

Later
Klez

Firefighter Dave
06-13-2003, 08:46 AM
I want to share these web sites with the rest of you...... A lot of these public service workers died without anyone knowing, other than the close nit families or local people where they served.

http://www.odmp.org/

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/applications/ffmem/ffmem_search.cfm?p_mn_status=1&p_death_year=2003&p_go=1

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

griffin16
06-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Full-time firefighter/paramedic, Part-time lawn jockey.

If I could work more at the station like ffdave, I would, But in this area we are seeing a lot of departments laying guys off.
So overtime is hard to get.

Nozzleman
06-13-2003, 02:05 PM
In my 7th year as a full time firefighter for local 1774. My schedule is 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off.

griffin16, I work in R.I and I hear alot on the news regarding the layoff's in Mass. The city of Taunton has pink slipped half the department. Unfortunately human lives will be lost due to manpower shortages just so a city can save a buck or two. Go ask the city managers if they took a pay cut to help alleviate the budget shortfall.

"Five-O"
06-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Deputy Sheriff/Burglary Invesitgator/11 years

The full time job keeps me busy, but I am trying to get going on the side. Thats why I signed up for this forum I am eager to learn from you guys!!! Now lets all stay safe!!

"Five-O"

mdb landscaping
06-13-2003, 03:07 PM
I do landscaping full time for another company right now, and do landscaping in my part time with my own business.......still deciding whether to go full time on my own, or if there are more benefits for working for somebody else.

griffin16
06-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Taunton, Springfield, Worcester, It's so easy to take money away from public safety when times are tough.
I live in Franklin, and we have lost about 34% of our full-time position's in the last four years. our overtime budget has been cut to the bone, Forcing guys to go out and secure part-time jobs or start a small business, to make ends meet.

"Five-O"
06-13-2003, 05:58 PM
I agree with ya griffin16, but what is funny is that it is so easy for them to give the higher ups a large scale pay raise and deny those to the front line guys and gals. The reason they use is that they need to compete with the private sector. They had better take a look around before they have no one to do the work for them!!!

"Five-O"

MOW ED
06-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Full time Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic - City of De Pere WI. Local 1998. Also full time (seems like) LCO 1995 til now.

In the fire service for 18 years. 5 in Illinois, 13 here.

This has been asked before. Just be careful, there are a few turds on this site that don't like us to be doing both jobs.

Take a look at this one if you want to find a few.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=42360&perpage=30&highlight=fire&pagenumber=1

Stay safe.

STAN1366
06-13-2003, 11:25 PM
[i]Originally posted by MOW ED

This has been asked before. Just be careful, there are a few turds on this site that don't like us to be doing both jobs.

Take a look at this one if you want to find a few.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=42360&perpage=30&highlight=fire&pagenumber=1

Stay safe. [/B]

It's too bad some people don't like us doing both jobs. I could see their point if I was a "mow & go" outfit w/ a bunch of illegals just knocking out a bunch of lawns and low balling other peoples lawn jobs, but I only do what I can handle myself. Do a nice neat job and charge the right price and don't undercut anyone. Let those who complain about us keep whining.