PDA

View Full Version : H bar...you guy's were right, I'm wrong

Doc Pete
06-11-2003, 03:56 PM
I must truly apologize to you and everyone else who I’ve been brow beating about the Hustler WB. I’ve been wondering the past year or two why I’m so sold on the H bar and found it impossible to understand why you guy’s weren’t, too.
“WELLLLLLLL……”…… today I found out why. Basically from the second day I owned my WB, I had installed a governor to keep the operator from “accidentally” grabbing too much speed and going right to 6 mph. Quite simple, the governor allowed me to set my walking speed, but let me override the governed speed of 3 mph and go to full speed, but would always reset back to 3 mph.
OK, so last night I was playing with the governor speed and forgot to lock it in place. When I started mowing this morning, I got the shock of my life when as I twisted the h bar, the machine practically pulled out of hand and started going 6 mph. So, rather than fix the problem I “attempted” to see just how different the machine was without the “cruise control" set. Errrrrrrrr, well this is why I’m writing to you guy’s, cause you have been right all the time, and I’ve been wrong. In the “STOCK” configuration, the H bar is “OK”, and possibly better than pistol grips, however it is not until the cruise control is installed that the H bar becomes the terrific control system I’ve raved about. I guess I’ve been using the governor for so long, I’ve forgot the giant difference between the stock setup and mine. Sorry guys.....................
Pete

LAWNGODFATHER
06-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Errr ok, I just thought you loved your mowers that took care of you and made you money like I do.

Good reliable equipment is like finding the same in employees.

Phishook
06-11-2003, 04:19 PM
and I was about to go get a few of them...

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Don't the new H-Bar's incorperate a "cruise control", whereby you need no pressure to move. I thought this was a recent modification.

Doc Pete
06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Don't the new H-Bar's incorperate a "cruise control", whereby you need no pressure to move. I thought this was a recent modification.

Ultimate Lawn is correct. The new WB's will have a cruise control, and this is why UL, and others "weren't buying" how good I thought the H bar WB's were. Funny, after 3 years with my H bar, I had no memory of "how it was" in the beginning. Guess that's why I had changed my WB almost instantly after I bought my first one.
Pete

Darryl G
03-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Lawn is correct. The new WB's will have a cruise control, and this is why UL, and others "weren't buying" how good I thought the H bar WB's were. Funny, after 3 years with my H bar, I had no memory of "how it was" in the beginning. Guess that's why I had changed my WB almost instantly after I bought my first one.
Pete

Does anyone know if they have implemented this change on the new models?

grass_cuttin_fool
03-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Im not trying to be a smarty tale, but if you dont get an answer soon you may want to post in the hustler section on lawnsite

David Grass
03-17-2005, 02:50 PM
just bought mine, and it has 2 settings, 0 to 8, and 0 to 5. Doesnt sound like anything you are talking about. I put it to 0 to 5 so my wife could get used to using it, then we will bump it up to 8 if we want to. I can drive it with one hand, feels great to me.

Darryl G
03-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Im not trying to be a smarty tale, but if you dont get an answer soon you may want to post in the hustler section on lawnsite

Thanks, not a bad idea. I forgot they had a fourm here. I tried to find the Hustler website but all I found was dirty pictures... :)

Fareway Lawncare
03-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Hustler makes some Mean Mowers but I'm not a fan of the H-Bar...Having Seperate levers to Control Each Wheel is my Preference....Some of their new Walks will be offered w/pistols from what I understand.

Regardless, if they ever get that Trimstar line figured out and Keep the Pistols, they should Have a Great Compact Residential Mower to Compete w/the Tracer HP's.

PaulJ
03-18-2005, 04:52 AM
I think I read that the trim stars will have the cruise control but I guess not on the bigger models. Not sure why. The 0-5 setting is for walking and the higher setting is for a sulky. I use the high setting al the time. It's just a bit more sensitive.
But after having a super walk for aver a year I realize it's nt really needed. It would be nice once in a while, maybe to keep employees from going to fast, but after some time at the controls you get a feel for it and controlling the speed is as easy as a turn of the wrist. No spring pressure to work against.
And what far Away can't figure out is that the h=bar does have two of every thing but the handle and that that handel is connected to two linkages to the pumps. Two hands working together beats each working separately for smoother control.
I was hoping once that pete would give us an idea how he built his cruise control or offer a kit for sale.

Fareway Lawncare
03-18-2005, 05:24 AM
Here's a Clue for all You Kids Razzle Dazzled by any Joined Control System like T-Bar, H-Bar, Joy-Sticks etc.

Having One Totally Independent Lever to Control One Wheel gives you the Most Precise Control on Hydro Units....ECS... Pistol...ETS...ETC.

Regardless, Joined Controls May be More Functional for Larger Area Mowing.

Live and Let Live.

MOW ED
03-18-2005, 07:17 AM
In the “STOCK” configuration, the H bar is “OK”, and possibly better than pistol grips

I know this is a Puke back post from the past but in my humble opinion pushing a reel mower thru a park full of goose $hit is better than pistol grips. :waving: