PDA

View Full Version : Soil PH is at 5.0

ArchiesLawns
06-11-2003, 05:04 PM
I have a hybrid bermuda lawn with a soil ph at 5.0. It is high in phosphorus and iron. Potassium, Magnesium, copper and Manganese are at medium levels Sodium, Calcium and sulfur are low.

What do you guys think should be done?

Thanks

Enviro Green
06-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Lime lime and lime to start with.

You will probably have to have repeat applications to raise the pH as much as needed, you don't want to put down more than about 40 to 50#/K at any one time if you are topdressing and give it time to be worked in by rain.

I might suggest a calcitic lime since your magnesium levels are ok, at least for th first round. You want to shoot for high test levels of both, but the ratio is also important as they compete for uptake by the plant and are needed in different ratios.

How is the growth and color of the turf?

EG

ArchiesLawns
06-11-2003, 08:33 PM
I had to spray Banner Maxx on it 2 weeks ago. It was looking very stressed and looked very weak and dying. Since the Banner Maxx treatment it has turned around a great deal. But, I got the soil test back today. I am not for sure as what I need to do in the way of a fertilizer as well as lime. Any hints? Have you ever seen one this far off from 6.5?

Thanks

Green Pastures
06-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Yes,

I had a lawn that needed 3, 50 lb per. K applications of lime to get the ph in balance.

It was ugly for a while, grass would just not grow.

Enviro Green
06-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Your pH is not uncommon in this area. Just lime and give it time. With respect to fertilizers, you need to be supply what the plants need and then some to build your fertility. Also , remember that when pH is that low, a part of everything you apply to the turf is never available to the plant, it becomes bound due to the soil chemistry at the low pH, or high hydrogen ion concentration.

Build fertility, lime, build, lime.

Best luck,

EG